CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Another point is that Avatar actually did phenomenal in China for its time (much smaller market 6 years ago). Avatar made over $200 million there, and even that figure is not locked for TFA. It would have to increase substantially from $200 million to even stand a chance of overcoming all the decreases in other markets.

Thats the thing! China is so much bigger now. I believe Furious 7 did almost double that of Avatar.

Exchange rates are a problem, although TFA seems to doing well in certain parts of Europe.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but if the stars align it COULD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

I guess this is a shifting point in cinema history, that from now on only sequels or prequels get to be the boxoffice king.

I second that,We are officially going from the book to movie era to let's remake everything with some changes in the roles era.:ph34r:

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone wanna hazard an estimate as to what gross it would take for Titanic's first run attendance to fall? I would think like 1.25-1.3b. Redfire? 

One factor that is often forgotten is children's tickets.  At my showing of TFA there was a fair number of children in the audience, whereas Titanic was rated R.  Factoring that in could decrease the needed number from 1.3B to below 1.25B.

18 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

This movie is bigger than Jesus. 

That's probably true, at least popularity-wise, since like Edgar Allen Poe or Vincent Van Gogh, Jesus was not fully appreciated in his own time. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone wanna hazard an estimate as to what gross it would take for Titanic's first run attendance to fall? I would think like 1.25-1.3b. Redfire? 

One factor that is often forgotten is children's tickets.  At my showing of TFA there was a fair number of children in the audience, whereas Titanic was rated R.  Factoring that in could decrease the needed number from 1.3B to below 1.25B.

Titanic was NC-17.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

Disney should consider moving Ep VIII to December in 2017, (it's void of anything major) before WB decides to put Justine League 1 there or another studio.

Lol and what? Other studios can put there whatever they want. If Disney decides move 8 to there, other studios will simply have to move their movies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deedlit said:

Titanic was PG-13, but yes, it wasn't exactly kid friendly(it was tween girl friendly, however)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

Disney should consider moving Ep VIII to December in 2017, (it's void of anything major) before WB decides to put Justine League 1 there or another studio.

I'm sure they do consider it but the problem is : 

- Avatar 2 is planned there (for now at least) and even if SW8 may beat it, that wouldn't be good for either of those films to open in front of each other. Granted Cameron could also back out of December (but he probably won't and Fox will listen to him) or just miss the 2017 release window (they have to start filming soon for that). 

- Releasing it Memorial Day 2017 would make it on the day of Star Wars original release in May 1977 so a meaningful date (but does it can really increase its BO ? Plus December would still be in its 40th anniversary year). 

But that would be a very good thing. Space out the Star Wars movies (in May would be only 5 months after Rogue One, they should at least keep a one-year gap between them). And give breathing room to GOTG 2 (opening a similar space-themed adventure movie 3 weeks after will cut its leg hard and Disney will have a hard time managing advertising for both films at the same time, look at TFA, they marketed almost only that for 1.5-2 months, that's a big reason for these numbers and the flop of TGD).

I'm all for making Star Wars a Christmas tradition by releasing a spin-off or episode every year. Let the rest of the year to all those other movies, don't mix Star Wars with them (though more movies could come in December now bu who would fight Star Wars ?)

15 minutes ago, Deedlit said:

Wait, what ? Titanic was rated R ? Is that true ? I thought the biggest R-rated film where something like Passion of the Christ. Plus, why would Titanic be rated R ? The boob scene ?

Edited by Shaldun
  • Like 1

Just now, DarthArachnid!™ said:

Titanic was PG-13, but yes, it wasn't exactly kid friendly(it was tween girl friendly, however)

Er whoops! :P  But yeah, there were definitely fewer children going to see Titanic than The Force Awakens.

I hope avatar keeps its worldwide record. It was nice looking at the biggest movies of all time despite most being sequels it was good to see 2 original films stand way higher than the rest. If SW managed to top avatar worldwide, it would be boring. The first film Ever to become the highest grossing movie of all time without surprising many people, we don't want that, with all the hype it feels like a cheat.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1