druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

No, the only TFA pirates are terrible cams, there have been no leaked Screeners.

I don't think Disney is even doing screeners for TFA. That's why the Academy has extra screenings in place for their members. Because everyone is being forced to see it at those guild screenings or in theatres with the public (which is a great way to see a film like this anyway, with people cheering). Disney certainly doesn't want this leaking, just like they didn't want spoilers leaking. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tokila said:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/episode-vii-box-office-discussion.50024582/page-421#post-53034240

I have a comparison chart for TFA overseas between JW(1 bil), Titanic(1.5 bil), and Avatar (2 bil).

I cant seem to post the pictures here so I will link to where I posted them on another forum. 

Argentia%20to%20Mex.png

7 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Just don't forget how many people lived in usa in 80s and how many lives now...

Aehm, you are aware about a lot of the members here are studying BO, background, the reasons for changes in the business and many more details partly since the '80? Do you really think we are not aware about r.g. population changes?
Again: don't try to pick one mosaic piece and assume to be able to xonclude out of that 2 pictures.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Arrgh, they had no other possibility at first to SEE e.g. news (early times), incl no real interest into partying during alcohol forbidden... beside at that time the US had less than 1/2 of todays population it sold tons of more tickets during depression...

since then less and less, TV at home, don, than VHS..., recogniseable down, .....

Go study the yearly released MPPA reports, learn how each year the tickets sales decline since a very long time. There were exception years, were the downhill got slowed don a bit.

I am running a school library and teach media related subjects = are you aware about mid teens nowadays OFTEN never in their life having even watched a movie in a cinema?

Times change, in the past e.g. young people wanted way more often a car, .... nowadays often young people do not even want to spend money for a car / driver license / insurance, they prefer to spent it for new pc's/mobiles/apps/games/.... clothes too (see reactions via social media) and and and

Lots of older poeple (not old) do not want to go to a cinema together with louder young ones (including mobile using ones), bought hich quality home cinema systems... If you read through a few of the threads here, how often a member told about relatives not having visited a cinema since literally decades, only to learn they leave for the first time since..... the house for SW 7 (formulation shortened, you'll get the drift, see signature)

Against GWTW I might agree, especially since it has 40 years of releases to aid it, but really we are talking about TPM and Titanic. The late 90s weren't exactly the dark ages, people had lives and things to do. The fact remains that in order to match Titanic it would have more than double its current gross, and the 'lack of competition' argument for Titanic is very very weak.

The other fact remains that prices have been jacked up for TFA, although admittedly that can hurt gross by putting off the casuals.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tokila said:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/episode-vii-box-office-discussion.50024582/page-421#post-53034240

I have a comparison chart for TFA overseas between JW(1 bil), Titanic(1.5 bil), and Avatar (2 bil).

I cant seem to post the pictures here so I will link to where I posted them on another forum. 

In opposition to the usual way, for me .png and .jpg only work via insert...

all other types of data work via the official recommended way (copy link into post) might be a browser / browser settin thingy or based on the bug the forum seems to have this weekend

• Like 2

I am not being belittle, just getting sick of tired over the years.

"SW7 is for nerds, SW7 is for virgins"

What you call a SW screening, a no bang zone.

SW7 is not popular with young people.

Women dont care about SW

Old SW films are not iconic.

blah blah blah

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

While were at it lets not forget that the sun was much brighter in the 70s and there were more corderoy pants being worn and dont forget deaert Boots were big. Also typewriters were cool then too.

All meaningless and arbitrary statements, just like yours. 

Im sorry but no. While some of the arguments made might be weak the change in population is not. If you double the population then selling the same or less tickets is not impressive. Thats about as simple as it gets.

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Aehm, you are aware about a lot of the members here are studying BO, background, the reasons for changes in the business and many more details partly since the '80? Do you really think we are not aware about r.g. population changes?
Again: don't try to pick one mosaic piece and assume to be able to xonclude out of that 2 pictures.

thanks, mind bringing over Netherlands-Ven too.... 

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am not being belittle, just getting sick of tired over the years.

"SW7 is for nerds, SW7 is for virgins"

What you call a SW screening, a no bang zone.

SW7 is not popular with young people.

Women dont care about SW

Old SW films are not iconic.

blah blah blah

Yeah.  Those statements are crap.  Star Wars is basically the modern West's form of mythology.  Cultural DNA status.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

Im sorry but no. While some of the arguments made might be weak the change in population is not. If you double the population then selling the same or less tickets is not impressive. Thats about as simple as it gets.

You do realize there was no other way to see movies in the 70's and 80's besides actually going to the theater? right? Completely different in 2015 with this awesome new invention called the internet :wiggle: People can watch a movie sitting at home now before he movie is even on blu ray or dvd. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

I don't understand what the basis for this argument is.  Are you saying TFA is unimpressive because its going to sell less or the same amount of tickets with double the population?  But then wouldn't every film since Titanic be unimpressive, given that the only one that will get close to it is TFA?  What's the point of even following the BO then? 

• Like 5

Just now, TriggerMike said:

You do realize there was no other way to see movies in the 70's and 80's besides actually going to the theater? right? Completely different in 2015 with this awesome new invention called the internet :wiggle: People can watch a movie sitting at home now before he movie is even on blu ray or dvd. 

Id love a link to a watchable copy of TFA please...

In reality leaks of watchable copys of any movie during the cinema release is pretty rare. This time of year is the worse for it and this year is one of the worst ever, but there is still no TFA leak.

7 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Lol. You have no idea

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Id love a link to a watchable copy of TFA please...

In reality leaks of watchable copys of any movie during the cinema release is pretty rare. This time of year is the worse for it and this year is one of the worst ever, but there is still no TFA leak.

I'm sure there is someone with more talent than myself that could find one and post it here. Not very proud of it, but I am very technology retarded. Lol. I would honestly be surprised if there was not a copy of this online somewhere right now. 

5 minutes ago, spizzer said:

I don't understand what the basis for this argument is.  Are you saying TFA is unimpressive because its going to sell less or the same amount of tickets with double the population?  But then wouldn't every film since Titanic be unimpressive, given that the only one that will get close to it is TFA?  What's the point of even following the BO then? 

You tell me, but the fact still remains..

From an economics point of view its terrible, to not even quite maintain sales over the course of 20 years is very bad performance. Take Nokia for example, they maintained sales OK, but drastically lost market share. Look what happened to them.

10 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Americas Population in 1980 - 226m

Americas Population in 2014 - 318m

Change = 40%

Meanwhile the average age has increased by 5 years

You really think an older population which visits the cinema less frequent, during the technology age where downloading is rampant among many other economical factors contributes less than 40% against ticket sales?

if population increase was such a determining factor why havent films been doing $1b+ domestic for 15 years now?

• Like 3