#ED

Monday SW:TFA Estimate - 31.4M (-27%)

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

JW, TA and TDK seemed to start to drop this coming week. From day ~12-25 then they seem to drop again. Don't see why Star Wars won't follow this path, however than leaves it close to a bil still.

Do you think you could edit your post to snip the quote? Its wrecking the forum :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

So, shoot your predictions then? I'm pulling out all those numbers, as are everyone, but you're just sitting there denying everything and claiming everyone is wrong.

So, be my guest. :)

Thats like asking the Colonel for his secret blend of  11 herbs and spices. Good luck with that! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Right, I meant similar drops. I took into account that SW is making almost double of Avatars dailies.

Well your numbers aren't unrealistic, but hopefully it's more of a worst case scenario for the rest of the weekend. :P Not that those numbers would be awful for TFA.

So for fun I looked at Mojo to what TFA would have grossed OW and after 10 days in the years a SW film was released:

2005: 184/402

2002: 167/364

1999: 146/318

1983: 90/197

1980: 77/168

1977: 64/139

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

Just realized I never actually "said hello."

Found these forums via Google when I wanted to track Avengers back in 2012, and have filed back in for lurking visits every now and then since.  The byplay between forum regulars has always been a big draw, but primarily it seemed like I would get the most accurate BO numbers earliest here.

This Star Wars run has been so incredible and (IMO) unpredictable (plus that whole snowed in thing...can you say CABIN FEVER?!) that I just had to start an actual account.

My hope and plan is to be gainfully employed early this year so that I can get a lovely metallic account--running out of likes is getting annoying ;)

Edited by Greylemur
Typo
  • Like 9

FOLLOWING AVATARS EXACT DROPS AND INCREASES :rolleyes:

Monday: 31.4M 

Tuesday: 29.5M (-5.8%)

Wednesday: 29.7M (+1%)

Thursday: 23.7M (-20.2%)

Friday: 40.6M (+71.5%)

Saturday: 41.4M (+2.2%)

Sunday: 27.8M (-32.7%)

109.8M Weekend. There you go. HAPPY!?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Which is why B saying it will do $110m-$114m is so laughable.

We should make a pool for this weekends number.

Perhaps, 10 people, $5 donations. Closest to picking the weekend correctly wins, the 9 other people donate. :ph34r:

That's $45 towards the forum.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Didn't it drop more than Avatar from Sun -> Mon though?

If those estimates hold true, then it'll be somewhere around $720 million by this upcoming Sunday and it will need $280 million more to reach $1 billion... that's a lot to ask for but if any film can pull it off, it's Star Wars!  $1 billion doestic, here we come!  By the way, I was wondering, does, for example, the 2016 gross of 2015 films go towards 2015 or 2016?  I was thinking that the yearly gross would only be for the calendar year and everything else made outside of that year would account towards that year's cumulative gross and not the year it came out in theaters. 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Didn't it drop more than Avatar from Sun -> Mon though?

YES. Which is why it's now following a different path than Avatar. Although I don't think anyone expected Avatar legs. However, legs of 4x is still possible.

16 minutes ago, DAR said:

So for fun I looked at Mojo to what TFA would have grossed OW and after 10 days in the years a SW film was released:

2005: 184/402

2002: 167/364

1999: 146/318

1983: 90/197

1980: 77/168

1977: 64/139

That's great, DAR!

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

IN RESPONSE TO THE GRAPH

JW, TA and TDK seemed to start to drop this coming week. From day ~12-25 then they seem to drop again. Don't see why Star Wars won't follow this path, however than leaves it close to a bil still.

hi, wenn something isn't that ideal to quote, you can als use the @

and the username in one row written (I hit enter to avoid to do it)

The graphic presentation / chart is 'useable' / better readable here to find

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/comparisons/All-Time-Top-Grossing-Films

when you hover with your mouse over one line it gives you more details

please read my anser to the next quote too

1 minute ago, Greylemur said:

Just realized I never actually "said hello."

Found these forums via Google when I wanted to track Avengers back in 2012, and have filled back in for lurking visits every now and then since.  The byplay between forum regulars has always been a big draw, but primarily it seemed like I would get the most accurate BO numbers earliest here.

This Star Wars run has been so incredible and (IMO) unpredictable (plus that whole snowed in thing...can you say CABIN FEVER?!) that I just had to start an actual account.

My hope and plan is to be gainfully employed early this year so that I can get a lovely metallic account--running out of likes is getting annoying ;)

Hi too

I realised, that some of the newbes do not realise that this forum is far bigger than they assume at first, as they (as I did then too for several months) click on the 'Movie Discussuion' part to change from one area to the next

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/4-box-office-discussion/

But if you click on the word 'Forum' you'll see the complete forum

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/

E.g. in 'General Topic' => Real World is e.g. an introducing thread an many more threads (as are at other places too)

Just today another member found out via pointing that out to him too - just in case you weren't aware (or for the real fresh newbes)

• Like 3

Just now, SoSaysI said:

ROTK doesn't work well for daily comparisons since New Years Day fell on Thursday that year.

Yeah it's a good point & ROTK was released on a Wednesday, the 2nd Monday drops were very similar that's why I wanted to use it. Think longer term the holds will be a lot more similar than Avatar obviously.