baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

17 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

Avatar owns the 3rd through 7th weekend records (well third weekend record it will own until Sunday).  After that it is Titanic.

Av owns 3rd, 6th, 7th weekends, unless you want to limit it to wide releases only. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kesleyk said:

Av owns 3rd, 6th, 7th weekends, unless you want to limit it to wide releases only. 

As it should be, wide only. 

Let's release a film in 1 theater for 13 weeks and then expand wide and it gets the record for biggest 14th and 15th week-ends? Bullshit.

It's its first real week-end, and the records on boxofficemojo show that, by ignoring non-wide release week-ends.

Thus, Avatar has 3rd through 7th week-ends, not American Sniper.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, kesleyk said:

Dax, that's fine, but you didn't quote the BOM charts, you used the Numbers chart, which is to what i thought you wanted to reference.

It's weird that they use that. Seems really arbitrary and only really benefits this movie in particular.

And kind of undermines the incredible records that Avatar set in its 4th and 5th week-ends.

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

It's weird that they use that. Seems really arbitrary and only really benefits this movie in particular.

And kind of undermines the incredible records that Avatar set in its 4th and 5th week-ends.

Yeah, it's a statistical anomaly which is kind of interesting if not very representative. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

So it's looking good for a 90 - 100M 3rd weekend?

Definitely. Unless today and tomorrow change drastically from the pattern we're seeing I would say $90 million is the absolute floor. If it's weekend/Mon-Tues ratio is the same as last weeks we'd be looking at a $115 million weekend. My target is $98 million though :)

adjusted%20bo.png

I think mine makes so much more sense. The big thing to remember. After ANH in 1977 during Carter's presidency the US went through several years of double digit inflation. It seems that Star Wars and prior me and BOM line up pretty close. Its after that where I think BOMs method is flawed.

I will add the reason my method actually has Avatar higher than BOM is because inflation has outpaced ticket prices and not vice versa like it had the 25+ years prior.

Edit 3- Also note every movie above Titanic was released before the VCR was in every household. Its spectacular that Titanic was able to even get close.

Its seems pretty clear that the VCR was the single biggest change to the movie landscape, digital may be taking another bit out of the Box office. 

Weekend Forecast: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens', 'The Hateful Eight' & 'Daddy’s Home'

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 98m / Total: 751m

2. The Hateful Eight - 25m / Total: 42.7m

3. Daddy's Home - 23m / Total: 87.5m

4. Sisters - 12.7m / Total: 63m

5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip - 12m / Total: 67.3m

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-12-weekend-forecast-star-wars-the-force-awakens-the-hateful-eight-daddys-home 

• Like 2

To Star Wars: The Force Awakens, SW fans, and JJ Abrams: respect. You gotta give props to this phenomenon. 600 million dollars in 12 fricking days!!

Nothing compares to the stunningly enduring appeal of Star Wars. I was just watching the animated DC film Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, and one of the characters, Looker, tries to mentally control the Flash, and one of the things he says is "Is this like one of those Jedi mind tricks?," and that makes me think about how ingrained in our collective consciousness SW is; I don't think we'll ever see another cultural icon with this kind of continued popularity.

The day TFA passes Avatar, I am gonna watch the James Cameron epic just for the heck of it, and  to say, "old friend, you had a good run!" 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, solaris said:

I'm still holding out for a $105m weekend. Something like $35m / $40m / $30m. Is my Sunday drop a bit optimistic?

With any other movie yes it is a bit too optimistic. But with Star Wars anything is possible.

15 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Gitesh sounds so butthurt it's ridiculous with his 12.5 nonsense. If he's going to be a smartass be precise and say 12.20833 days.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Luiz Nando said:

Weekend Forecast: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens', 'The Hateful Eight' & 'Daddy’s Home'

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 98m / Total: 751m

2. The Hateful Eight - 25m / Total: 42.7m

3. Daddy's Home - 23m / Total: 87.5m

4. Sisters - 12.7m / Total: 63m

5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip - 12m / Total: 67.3m

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-12-weekend-forecast-star-wars-the-force-awakens-the-hateful-eight-daddys-home 

too low. They are essentially predicting TFA to be Monday through Wed+ 8 mil or so. That would have to be like a 34-40-24 weekend. Not seeing sunday lower than this monday. Lets make Sunday = to monday (last week it was +3 despite a massive storm),   lets give friday (a holiday) a measly 23% boost over Tuesday(worse than last weeks boost). So 37-44-30.... Thats not overly generous and it gets us to 111 million.  (and it passes Avatar likely on Sunday)

4 minutes ago, lab276 said:

With Avatar's drops it gets to 110m.

Avatar dropped less than 10% from its 2nd weekend to 3rd. If TFA did the same it would have a $135 million 3rd weekend. It's going to drop at least 25% from its 2nd to 3rd.