baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

That's assuming 30% drops for Force Awakens, possible, but not guaranteed or conservative. 

I think overall I was pretty conservative. Even if I dropped that $105 million to $80 million and the $73 million to $53 million we're still at $870 million. It could still do half as well as Avatar did it's remaining time in theaters and get there. 

Just now, Caladbolg said:

If it was like $950m-999m I think Disney would expand it. Hell they let Tangled stay in theaters for 27 weeks just so it could cross $200m.

IIRC, the reasons for making sure a film gets to 100 or 200m are considerably more important than for getting to any other threshold. Something to do with payments on ancillary markets such as TV.

• Like 2

In terms of dailies, this needs to match AVATAR+32% every day to hit 1 billion. It has surpassed that daily milestone every day so far, and actually has built up a nest egg of something like 260 million as a buffer. It's still building that lead each day, and probably won't fall behind until next week at the earliest. So it has an excellent chance of surpassing 1 billion. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, hasanahmad said:

-11% is impressive considering 7% of the nation is under flood waters.

Especially when the flooding is at historic levels, beating the record crests from The Great Flood of '93. I'm not saying the weather is affecting the box office one way or the other. I'm just saying this isn't your average flooding.

Also, solid number for a second Tuesday.

• Like 2

To do it another way, because I've got time on my hands.

Day 1 through 12 - $600 million (our current total)

Day 1 through 12 - $250.4 million

Day 13 through 17 - $137 million**
Day 13 through 17 - $101.6 million

Day 18 through 24 - $85 million**
Day 18 through 24 - $78.8 million

Day 25 through 31 - $55 million**
Day 25 through 31 - $62.4 million

Day 32 through 38 - $43 million**
Day 32 through 38 - $58.5 million 

Day 39 through 45 - $30 million**
Day 39 through 45 - $44.1 million

Top number is TFA (First 12 day actuals, the rest estimations), bottom is Avatar. So through 45 days in my model, TFA is at $950 million. Avatar was at $596 million at the same point. Keep in mind, TFA is still pulling in $10 million more a day than Avatar right now. I only gave it a $90 million weekend even though it could be $110 million. It's not suddenly going to drop off the Earth when it gets to $850 million or something. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

In terms at dailies, this needs to match AVATAR+32%  every day to hit 1 billion. It has surpassed that daily milestone every day so far, and actually has built up a nest egg of something like 260 million as a buffer. It's still building that lead each day, and probably won't fall behind until next week at the earliest. So it has an excellent chance of surpassing 1 billion. 

With the latest number, buffer is around 270M and I just don't see SW7 giving all of it back.1B is happening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

IIRC, the reasons for making sure a film gets to 100 or 200m are considerably more important than for getting to any other threshold. Something to do with payments on ancillary markets such as TV.

I think Disney would be happy to have the "First movie to reach $1B DOM".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

In terms of dailies, this needs to match AVATAR+32% every day to hit 1 billion. It has surpassed that daily milestone every day so far, and actually has built up a nest egg of something like 260 million as a buffer. It's still building that lead each day, and probably won't fall behind until next week at the earliest. So it has an excellent chance of surpassing 1 billion. 

After the holidays are over, I actually see TFA mirroring Avatar's daily numbers pretty well from there on out. I'm banking on at least $330 million more from the 4th onwards :)

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Clef Ment said:

I think Disney would be happy to have the "First movie to reach $1B DOM".

thought the same thing when I read the post. Almost implied 200m was a bigger deal for a studio to make sure a movie clears than 1 bil....

13 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Still think it ends up at like 925-950*. So close yet so far(too far for a push). Still, beating the prior record holder by nearly 200m is astounding and should hold up for a lot longer than Avatar's record will. The next record breaker after TFA should top 1B. Maybe Episode IX(finale factor)?

*caveat is if it receives more Oscar attention than technical/music, then all bets are off for 1B.

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The FORCE AWAKENS will not, NOT Receive any Oscar Nominations for anything other than Technical.. The acting was serviceable and really, nothing to write home about.. The actors involved got the job done...

Saved in case it gets nominated for Best Picture. It did get featured in some critics top 10 for the year. Its chances aren't 0 (although they're very low, like 5%).

If it gets nominated, I'll like your post! :D

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The FORCE AWAKENS will not, NOT Receive any Oscar Nominations for anything other than Technical.. The acting was serviceable and really, nothing to write home about.. The actors involved got the job done...

Avatar, Titanic, ET, Star Wars, Jaws pretty much every film that was the highest grossing film at the time has gotten a best pic nomination.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Score is possible, but I agree no acting nominations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

I was gonna go check out Big Short or Concussion tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna take a breather from theater movies and maybe finish up Fargo instead

Fargo was easily the best thing on tv the last two years