baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

I'm looking at the 93 oscars, and I had forgotten that Schindler's List didn't winning either BA categories. I'm too young to know if that was considered an upset. As great as he is in The Fugitive, TLJ going over Ralph Fiennes is pretty weird. Tom Hanks winning isn't very surprising; gay always wins at the oscars.

And LOL at Mrs. Doubtfire winning Best Makeup. I guess that's sort of whatever but still.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I'm looking at the 93 oscars, and I had forgotten that Schindler's List didn't winning either BA categories. I'm too young to know if that was considered an upset. As great as he is in The Fugitive, TLJ going over Ralph Fiennes is pretty weird. Tom Hanks winning isn't very surprising; gay always wins at the oscars.

And LOL at Mrs. Doubtfire winning Best Makeup. I guess that's sort of whatever but still.

TLJ was considered the sentimental fave. Ralph Fiennes was the young up-and-comer, and I think people figured he'd get another chance later. (FWIW, I think Fiennes' performance towers over TLJ's, as awesome as TLJ was and still is.)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

What's it sitting at, ticket-wise? 55m or so? If so it needs to more than double its current gross to be in the same conversation as Titanic.

And that's fine. TFA's run is astoundingly strong. Whether it ends up as the most impressive run in history or not won't change that.

I think over 60m, 3D share is rather low.

There is no point in extrapolating legs of SW7 based on Avatar. Avatar was a different kind of monster.

On the other hand, SW7 is basically mirroring the LOTR2 run at 3x level

Day: SW7 - LOTR2 - Multi

Fri (w/m): 62.1 - 19.2 = 3.23x

Sat: 68.3 - 22.75 = 3.00x

Sun: 60.55 - 20.0 = 3.03x

Mon: 40.1 - 13.5 = 2.97x

Tue: 37.4 - 7.8 = 4.80x

Wed: 38.0 - 12.4 = 3.06x

Thu: 27.4 - 15.45 = 1.77x

Week 1: 333.85 - 111.15 = 3.00x

Fri: 49.3 - 16.9 = 2.92x

Sat: 56.7 - 17.2 = 3.30x

Sun: 43.15 - 14.8 = 2.92x

Mon: 31.3 - 10.1 = 3.10x

Week 2 (so far):  180.55 - 59.0 = 3.06x

(The fluctuation in dailies is due to Christmas falling on different day of the week.)

LOTR2 made 129.6m after Monday. If SW7 continues to be at 3x level, it will make further 388m after Monday, which means 572 + 388 = 960M finish.

That's why 1B is not locked yet. For 1B to happen, the requires multiplier from here on would be 3.3x.

• Like 6

Finished AOTC and ROTS tonight. I would give Clones a 6/10 and Sith an 8/10. Both were better than TPM and decent movies but still not as good as the originals. Thought ROTS was kind of slow but it really picked up after Windu is killed. Glad to see the prequels end on a high note. Can anyone tell me if The Clone Wars tv series is any good ? Really interested in seeing what happened between 2 and 3. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, B J said:

superwinterstormgoliath needs to head the AK way, we haven't got any snow since november. AK looking a little too much like the contiguous states this year (lawns visible).

Up here in the Interior we've had only flurries since early November. Although that November snow is still around, so everything is blanketed in white here.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
add "only"
  • Like 1

Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ appears to have demolished another record tonight. According to estimates, its total gross rose to an estimated $600M+ on Tuesday after posting another $29.3M. The franchise fan favorite dropped a mere 6% from Monday. Hot on Avatar‘s tail, it is now the fastest film to $600M and, at this rate, should hit $700M this weekend and log fastest to that threshold as well.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-600-million-hateful-eight-tuesday-previews-1201674026/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Finished AOTC and ROTS tonight. I would give Clones a 6/10 and Sith an 8/10. Both were better than TPM and decent movies but still not as good as the originals. Thought ROTS was kind of slow but it really picked up after Windu is killed. Glad to see the prequels end on a high note. Can anyone tell me if The Clone Wars tv series is any good ? Really interested in seeing what happened between 2 and 3. 

It's generally enjoyable, although it's rather uneven. Some of the characters and plotlines are great, others are more lackluster. Personally, I found pretty much anything with Ahsoka Tano to be really compelling. Many of the Clone-focused stories (but not all*) are also pretty good.

*The Netflix only fifth season doesn't have Ahsoka and I really didn't care for it, even the Clone-centric episodes.

17 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

And off by at least $10 million lol

I probably should be more surprised than I am that y'all missed a box office joke.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 2

Just now, ChiSoxRox said:

Up here in the Interior we've had flurries since early November. Although that November snow is still around, so everything is blanketed in white here.

OMG! Another Alaskan, and a BO follower, YAY! Yeah Anchorage is lacking in snow this year and its been pretty warn compared to the usual as well.  Minor flurries here as well but I want a true dumping, grass in the middle of the winter is

odd

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fake said:

There is no point in extrapolating legs of SW7 based on Avatar. Avatar was a different kind of monster.

On the other hand, SW7 is basically mirroring the LOTR2 run at 3x level

Day: SW7 - LOTR2 - Multi

Fri (w/m): 62.1 - 19.2 = 3.23x

Sat: 68.3 - 22.75 = 3.00x

Sun: 60.55 - 20.0 = 3.03x

Mon: 40.1 - 13.5 = 2.97x

Tue: 37.4 - 7.8 = 4.80x

Wed: 38.0 - 12.4 = 3.06x

Thu: 27.4 - 15.45 = 1.77x

Week 1: 333.85 - 111.15 = 3.00x

Fri: 49.3 - 16.9 = 2.92x

Sat: 56.7 - 17.2 = 3.30x

Sun: 43.15 - 14.8 = 2.92x

Mon: 31.3 - 10.1 = 3.10x

Week 2 (so far):  180.55 - 59.0 = 3.06x

(The fluctuation in dailies is due to Christmas falling on different day of the week.)

LOTR2 made 129.6m after Monday. If SW7 continues to be at 3x level, it will make further 388m after Monday, which means 572 + 388 = 960M finish.

That's why 1B is not locked yet. For 1B to happen, the requires multiplier from here on would be 3.3x.

If today's low number holds then TFA's 2nd Tuesday will be 3.4x LOTR2 2nd Tuesday :)  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ appears to have demolished another record tonight. According to estimates, its total gross rose to an estimated $600M+ on Tuesday after posting another $29.3M. The franchise fan favorite dropped a mere 6% from Monday. Hot on Avatar‘s tail, it is now the fastest film to $600M and, at this rate, should hit $700M this weekend and log fastest to that threshold as well.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-600-million-hateful-eight-tuesday-previews-1201674026/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

YES YES YES!!!!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Well, if that estimate holds, that's an Avatar hold boys. $1B alive again!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

If today's low number holds then TFA's 2nd Tuesday will be 3.4x LOTR2 2nd Tuesday :)  

THat is bcos two towers 2nd tuesday was new year eve and it dropped 16%. SW7 will need to increase above 33m to stay at 3x tomorrow. but thursday and friday should still be good as LOTR2 dropped hard on Jan 2nd thursday.

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Great number! Wednesday should hold pretty flat then we'll be looking at a 25-30% drop on Thursday before a $90-$100 million 3rd weekend :)

Avatar should be going down on the 5th!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

The next record breaker after TFA should top 1B. Maybe Episode IX(finale factor)?

If it opens it summer, it could open bigger (but A:IW2 comes out earlier that month, doesn't it?), but will it even have legs against all the summer competition?