#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

The U.K. leads overseas with $133.5 million, one of the best showings of all time, followed by Germany ($73.9 million), France ($61.4 million), Australia ($47.1 million), Japan ($46.1 million), Spain ($24.7 million), Italy ($23.3 million) and Mexico (23.1 million). It's not seeing the same big numbers in some parts of Asia, such as South Korea ($21.8 million). However, Force Awakens is counting on being a huge player in China, where it rolls out Jan. 9.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-rings-851635?utm_source=twitter

You dont have to take my word for it. Wehave a 2500 page SW thread. Go find any predictions on there of taking down avatar. Anything after p resales comes out doesnt count.

• Like 2

Just now, terrestrial said:

The U.K. leads overseas with $133.5 million, one of the best showings of all time, followed by Germany ($73.9 million), France ($61.4 million), Australia ($47.1 million), Japan ($46.1 million), Spain ($24.7 million), Italy ($23.3 million) and Mexico (23.1 million). It's not seeing the same big numbers in some parts of Asia, such as South Korea ($21.8 million). However, Force Awakens is counting on being a huge player in China, where it rolls out Jan. 9.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-rings-851635?utm_source=twitter

Here are my conservative predictions for the final totals in these countries. 

UK - $180 million
Germany - $105 million

France - $90 million

Australia - $70 million

Japan - $90 million 

Spain - $35 million

Italy - $32 million 

Mexico - $30 million 
South Korea - $28 million 

China - WHO KNOWS!! $150 million let's sat :D

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

China - WHO KNOWS!! $150 million let's sat :D

I have no idea about a few of those end result predictions as I am for the moment not following a lot of OS countries.

Out of curiousity: did you discuss those numbers in the International Forum? Do they agree, if you did?

China = wholeheartedly agree (and the last time I chescked our China mod wrote that number too)

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I have no idea about a few of those end result predictions as I am for the moment not following a lot of OS countries.

Out of curiousity: did you discuss those numbers in the International Forum? Do they agree, if you did?

China = wholeheartedly agree (and the last time I chescked our China mod wrote that number too)

I haven't asked in any of the international forums, but I've been following them a bit. Some are more optimistic, some less. I know some are saying $200 million in the UK and $100 million in Australia, France and Germany. We shall see though :)

I'm still hoping for Jurassic World numbers in China ($228 million).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Despite Star Wars breaking records, I'm surprised how Daddy's Home holds are, it should end it's run with 145 million domestic.

Will we get a sequel? A shared daddy universe?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Avatar's DOM run will only be impressive until Tuesday or so. At which point it's automatically crap. Because clearly once another film has earned more in some way (DOM, OW, OS, etc.) it automatically makes a film's run worse.

People don't seem to understand the difference between a comparison and a competition.

Case in point:

What? I wasnt saying Harry Potter is unimpressive now... I was just saying it was interesting that in 3 years it only dropped 1 spot and this year it dropped another 4. Shows how strong this year's been WW compared to the last couple 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

A lot of people simply ...

There is a big difference between the IMDb message boards (also have a very loud group of wandering from one new released blockbuster movie to the next to show their cultural superioty via dismissing blockbusters - you can check by their posting chronik) and people writing reviews there.

The mentioned low-lifes are not only for SW 7 there, they are for a lot of movies /and people) there. Not all of them even hate the movie they are 'dissing' about, they seem more into stirring up people, getting heard, matter via vote,....

I write the rest in spoiler tags as it is too lengthy and it's OT too

Spoiler

Seemingly a certain percentage of people feel better about themself, when able to stand above things, like if they look down on things other like they are superior or so = again = not especially for SW 7 counting, you can go to nearly all RECENT (not older than maybe 15 years?) blockbuster review parts there and will find a lot of negativism.

Yes, there are people with reasons for writing in such a way. But I think they are the minority at IMDb (and Yahoo movies it seems, as people at IMDb wrote ther it is even worse)

There are a high percentage of 10 voters for SW 7, yes. But they are not the majority.

I know for sure btw, that quite a lot of those 'review' writers are people with way more than one account (and use them, incl my example I gave earlier = steel reviews or parts of those from reviewers working for a magazin or...)

About the rating:

if the rater has not done a certain number of votes (preferably regularyly) the rating will not event taken into the calculation. The same count for more or less general 10 or 1 voters. The most weight have the top 1000 voters, to be one of those you really have a lot to vote, more or less constantly (too long a break = out)

Also maybe interesting to know (generally speaking, not SW 7 in especial):

there are groups of people with agendas that organize down votes (or try to do so)

religious groups (partly even their priest telling the 'coffee meeters' which ones...)

fandoms (I read myself in threads where they wrote openly how to do that the best, with lists who will do what where, organized not only within and at IMDb)

political groups, racists...

Are you aware about SW 7 got calls to boycott it based in in their opinion (started a long time before the release) missing white (younger than Harrison) lead male role = in the way they meant a hero to be?

Those too littered the threads... too for a time at least (I didn't do a follow up based on no time)

not sure why you think 20 out of 316 reviews are a lot, but the movie stand at 94% there, but the percentage doesn't stay for the rating, only for the 'enjoyability' see the raing = a rather good 8.2/10

here the actual split of IMDb voters, as mentioned the top 1000 voters (known for being VERY critical btw) weight the most in relation to their votes. As in way more than you might imagine

Votes Average
Males  212433 blue.gif 8.5
Females  29090 red.gif 8.6
Aged under 18  5768 neutral.gif 9.1
Males under 18  4945 blue.gif 9.1
Females under 18  762 red.gif 9.0
Aged 18-29  120198 neutral.gif 8.6
Males Aged 18-29  103353 blue.gif 8.6
Females Aged 18-29  15591 red.gif 8.7
Aged 30-44  82672 neutral.gif 8.4
Males Aged 30-44  73207 blue.gif 8.4
Females Aged 30-44  8175 red.gif 8.6
Aged 45+  16437 neutral.gif 8.3
Males Aged 45+  13953 blue.gif 8.2
Females Aged 45+  2221 red.gif 8.6
IMDb staff  40 neutral.gif 8.7
Top 1000 voters  323 neutral.gif 8.2
US users  43397 neutral.gif 8.6
Non-US users  118305 neutral.gif 8.4

IMDb users  317113

neutral.gif 8.5

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I haven't asked in any of the international forums, but I've been following them a bit. Some are more optimistic, some less. I know some are saying $200 million in the UK and $100 million in Australia, France and Germany. We shall see though :)
I'm still hoping for Jurassic World numbers in China ($228 million).

I asked not only bcs curiousity of their reactions, but also as you are rather new here and I wasn't sure if I already  :poke:  you to that area of the forum too (and to do so too often might be obstrusive)

It's a very interesting area - at least to me, but I understand you like/love it too

So many new members here, I already mix up user names (and I am bad with names anyway) And so many changed nemas, I have no idea who some of them even are :wacko:

52 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Despite Star Wars breaking records, I'm surprised how Daddy's Home holds are, it should end it's run with 145 million domestic.

It was too late though for Paramount to steal the 6th spot from Lionsgate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

My impression is that it is well liked but not overwhelmingly so.

It may be true that most people in really life like the movie (I'm sensing more like than love though), but certainly you would not expect people who do written reviews on imdb are representative of general population, that doesn't means they're trolls necessarily; as you know,film fans can be passionate, star wars fans can be passionate (the prequel hate), and you'd expect some sort of backlash against one of the most anticipated film in history.

I don't think they are all trolls, but some definitely are, and some are just burthurt fansboys who can't aceept a fun movie for what it is. I knew the moment there was going to be another star wars movie that a lot of people were going to hate it no matter what.  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

i know @GiantCALBears is going to be shocked by this but idont know anyone irl that didnt like TFA.

Cool story man, nice use of bold too. I'm not shocked at all as I've said previously. You love saying absolutes that have zero to do w/ my previous points. Oh and again this has NOTHING to do with the numbers, good job setting an example, moderator.