#ED

Tuesday : TFA $7,967,428 #ED was Asleep at the Wheel(He's sicky-poo)

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Zhivago though I'd argue is just a big missing page in the cinematic archives to my gen and younger on the whole, and possibly even the gen before.

You might be right. I find it kinda mind-boggling, though -- IMO it'd be one of the movies to immediately seek out (if I was a young film fan looking to educate myself on some classics). It's by a well-done and famous director (even today), it was up for Academy awards, it has a famous soundtrack (anchored by a best-seller theme), it's a best-selling novel, and so forth.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I'm in my 30s, and looking at even the top 50, the only two I have no familiarity with of any kind are Dr. Zhivago and The Robe.

Edit: Slightly more familiar with Zhivago, as I'd at least heard of it, but The Robe? Heard of it literally as I was making this post.

40's here; Zhivago, Love Story, and The Robe are the three out of the top 50 that I have no clue about.

• Community Manager
Just now, Tau Ceti said:

It was my dad's favourite alongside Casablanca. This dismissal of Zhivago stings.

They always say that, and what does it matter? A village betrays us, a village is burned. The point's made.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It makes sense that kids and twentysomethings aren't familiar with it. But then again, given their general lack of interest for anything before they were born (no offense intended), is it that surprising? Anyone who's got a vague interest in classic movies or novels would be familiar with at least the name. I mean, shit, it's an on-going punchline in TRUE ROMANCE.

Tele's right about "kids" (Ethan's age through mid twenties or so) not really caring much about films before they were born.

A lot of them, when you ask them their favorite movie, will say something modern.  I've heard Lord of the Rings, lots of Disney/Pixar Films, Mean Girls, Harry Potter, A few hipster choices like (500) Days of Summer or Perks of Being a Wallflower, I've heard a few Pulp Fictions, Titanic, maybe a few Star Wars and Back to the Future, sometimes something recent that's come out like The Avengers or Hunger Games (these usually change within a year) etc.

Given, this is all anecdotal of what I've heard from that age group.  And I can't say the older group is any different because my parents favorite films are The Big Lebowski and Jungle Book.  A Disney film and a modern film, but I guess more inspired choices.

And mine constantly changes, but if you asked me right now Id probably say Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Given this is just from sampling the favorite movies of people I know, but I rarely hear references to obvious ones like Wizard of Oz or It's a Wonderful Life.

• Like 2

I'm familiar with all of the top 50 adjusted except The Robe (and only familiar with Zhivago in the sense I know it's in the top ten and is an award winning epic). The only ones I haven't seen are Zhivago, Thunderball, The Robe, and Around the World in 80 Days. 

I think another forgotten blockbuster is The Poseidon Adventure(472m adj). I mean, they made a remake and hardly anyone noticed.

(Great movie, BTW and scored by none other than John Williams!)

• Like 10

Just now, DarthArachnid!™ said:

I think another forgotten blockbuster is The Poseidon Adventure(472m adj). I mean, they made a remake and hardly anyone noticed.

(Great movie, BTW and scored by none other than John Williams!)

The remake is the only way I heard about the original in the first place. Would probably still be completely unaware of it otherwise. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The remake is the only way I heard about the original in the first place. Would probably still be completely unaware of it otherwise. 

There was a TV remake of Doctor Zhivago with Keira Knightley and Sam Neill.

• Like 3