Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

11 minutes ago, Total Treecall said:

I have been both raped and unemployed, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that I know which one was worse. Please stop trying to speak for groups about whom you know nothing. It's fine to say you didn't like the film or w/e but why are you even making this dumb comparison between two completely different things? 

I wasn't and I'm sorry about what happened to you but another member main the compariosn and said Spotlight was more important than big short and i disagreed and provided my reason and I stand by it.  

Edited by boomboom234

Just now, boomboom234 said:

I wasn't and I'm sorry about what happened to you but another member main the compariosn and said Spotlight was more important than big short and i disagreed and provided my reason and I stand by it. 

No one's trying to undermine the "importance" of either movie's true stories but come on, from a strictly cinematic standpoint, Spotlight carries the bigger "importance" factor since it treats its grim subject with a straight face (as it should, really) while The Big Short treats its topic with a mostly satiric edge and ends up being a hilariously infuriating comedy.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No one's trying to undermine the "importance" of either movie's true stories but come on, from a strictly cinematic standpoint, Spotlight carries the bigger "importance" factor since it treats its grim subject with a straight face (as it should, really) while The Big Short treats its topic with a mostly satiric edge and ends up being a hilariously infuriating comedy.

Well said, it's not the first time someone has shorted an industry & made a shit load of $. How often has the Catholic Church faced the level of scandal they are still dealing with?

19 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina (WINNER)

Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Ex Machina??? :wtf:Never heard of it..

It s the movie about AI for dummies.

Cinephiles, critics and movie nerds love it.

The female robot gets full frontal in the end, a mere bonus I guess.

Edited by The Futurist

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Open Road winning their first Oscar is a big win for smaller distributors. Apart from The Weinstein Company, has any smaller distributor won big which wasn't a subsidiary of a bigger studio like Fox Searchlight.

Summit won with The Hurt Locker. They were still sold to Lionsgate after what, three years?

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Summit won with The Hurt Locker. They were still sold to Lionsgate after what, three years?

I forgot about Summit winning for The Hurt Locker. The financial success of Twilight meant they went from small to mini major quite quickly. 

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

okay there i agree

Like Coolio s theory about Ex Machine 's VFX win.

VFX workers voted for Vikander s sexy robot.

Ex Machina s VFXs were pretty basic and VFX houses have been doing these kinda of effects for the last 15+ years.

The movie that impressed me most VFX wise last year was The Walk then Ant Man & Ultron.

I'm over trying to make any sense out of the Oscars' picks. They think what they think and given those "Brutally Honest" articles they aren't people I care to emulate or understand. I only like to make predictions because it calls attention to future movies I hope will be great.

Not sure what to think of it-this year had some ups and downs.

Picture and visual were the 2 biggest what the hecks.

Chris Rock wasn't as bad as he could of been, I loved his interviews with strangers for films (which yeah you could tell that those were not what they thought about the films but it was still funny)

Some of the political overtones got too far again at the Oscars, not the worse ever though. The song nominees were not that great this year (not as bad as 2005s though)

On another note-Spotlight was the first movie to win BP with just 2 wins since The Greatest Show on Earth!

Really stoked that Spotlight won Best Picture, Inside Out won Best Animated Picture and Ex Machina won Best Visual Effects. So deserved. Thought for sure The Revanant would sweep and was glad it didn't. I definitely agree with Best Director and Best Cinematography but not Picture.

I think The Big Short should have won Best Film Editing, glad to see it take something though.

Kind of surprised Mad Max won both categories for sound. When I originally saw it in theaters on the first night it released, I had an extremely hard time hearing some of the dialogue over the sounds of car engines and the loud score. And I went to the best theater in my area for sound outside of IMAX. 

Brie Larson was a lock for best actress. I watched Room again and she did deserve it for the first half of the movie alone. The second half wasn't nearly as strong but I can't think of anyone better that was up for the award.

Leo, I knew he'd win but he's been better in the past. Thought both Matt Damon and Michael Fassbender were stronger.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2