Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Were Straight Outta Compton or Creed ever really considered major Oscar players, though (especially Compton given that it was a summer release with a cast of unknowns)?

Considering that Compton got PGA, SAG, AFI, and NBR and was listed in about half of the predictions online, it was clearly a strong contender.

Also, in general, bringing this up doesn't mean the nominated performances weren't terrific or deserving- most were. But every...single....year, either 20/20 or 19/20 of the actors, almost all of the directors, and all but MAYBE one of the pictures are white, white, white. This country is about 37 percent black, Latino, mixed, or Asian. This year, we have a sum total of ONE nominee that comes from those groups- Innaritu. Bringing this up doesn't mean that we're being "too PC" or "pandering to diversity" or whatever the strawman line is for people that can't put together a coherent argument- it means that there's a recognizable problem, and that we as a people should be able to talk about it without a bunch of people Tweeting "2 PEECCEEEEE!" That doesn't mean these nominees aren't tremendous performers. But in a year of exceptional talents like Jordan, and Coogler, and Thompson, and Mitchell, and Samuel L, and Isaac, and Elba, and Del Toro, and others, the fact that none of them could pull a nomination indicates something troublesome. Because honestly, seeing Eddie Redmayne tuck his dick between his legs for an Oscah nom or watching Ruffalo be the fourth best male actor in his own movie or watching Cranston get nominated for playing a cartoon version of Dalton Trumbo, I just can't help but think "Holy fuck, how did Isaac not get nominated?" Or Del Toro? Or Mitchell, who was so electric he lept off the screen in his movie? Or Jordan, who was miles better than Redmayne in pretty much everyone's opinion? There's a systematic problem here, both within the industry AND the award infrastructure, that creates a cycle of marginalization that feeds into less diversity in movies. And we should be able to talk about that WITHOUT being called PC or whiny- and without detracting from the hard working nominees or calling anyone racist, either. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

The academy must really love Bale and Ruffalo, considering this is their third nom, and Bale's performance wasn't exactly raved to the high heavens, or anything.

Bale should have received a nomination all those years ago for his iconic work in American Psycho, so it's all good.

• Like 1

This year definitely proves why the Academy should go back to the 2009/2010 system as opposed to the current 5% rule for BP. It was a pretty competitive year for possible nominees (films like IO, Creed, Carol, SOC, Sicario or SW7 had decent shots at getting in), and it's mind-boggling to think the Academy decided to only choose eight from the big pack.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Were Straight Outta Compton or Creed ever really considered major Oscar players, though (especially Compton given that it was a summer release with a cast of unknowns)?

SoC was hitting all of the major precursors, and Creed is something that should have.

Also, Benicio Del Torro would have been another choice they could have put in supporting actor.

I do think there wasn't an excuse to not nominate people of color in the major categories this year (Inarritu aside).

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Panda said:

Also, no awards show giving Inside Out a nomination or See You Again a nomination, shows why the film industry shouldn't be giving music awards.  Both were better than most if not all the noms.

Honestly, I just wish the industry took animation more seriously. Some of the best animated films I've ever seen, are just as good if not better then many of the best picture nominations every year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Inside Out pretty much got snubbed everywhere outside the Best Animated Picture category, hopefully there will be no Blank meltdown since it got nominated there. Some of last year's weekend threads became insufferable for quite some time after the nominees were announced due to the constant Lego Movie mentions.

It also got a best original screenplay nom, though, thankfully.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Him getting overlooked for Django was unforgivable. 

Indeed. I actually had all three supporting Django guys on my Boffies ballot that year. Real shame he missed for Jackie Brown and A Time to Kill, too. Even smaller stuff like the Red Violin should have gotten him some attention. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Not looking forward to the day that academy voters will have to fill some diversity quota to avoid blacklash.

Looking forward to the day when deserving performances don't get overlooked by an old ass  voting body that didn't give them a second look. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Indeed. I actually had all three supporting Django guys on my Boffies ballot that year. Real shame he missed for Jackie Brown and A Time to Kill, too. Even smaller stuff like the Red Violin should have gotten him some attention. 

Before Pulp Fiction he was absolutely electrifying in Jungle Fever. 

• Like 3

In terms of expansions, Room will be reaching its biggest theater count to date by far this weekend (over 300 theaters). This is definitely going to be the Best Picture nominee to benefit the most from nominations since it should at least double its current gross with this second wave, maybe more in the likely event Larson emerges as the frontrunner.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I refuse to believe The Revenant is going to win Best Picture. Please, if there are is a God out there, do something. 

The movie is not even in my Top 40 of the Year.

Leo deserves the Oscar for his performance, i really hope he win this time, and I would have nothing to say if they want to give Iñarritu the Oscar for best directing. 

But the plot and script of the movie is lame... a basic revenge movie... the movie drags for too long....if if wasn't for Leo, the Indian ambush at the beginning (impressive), and the bear scene (awesome), the movie would suck so much ass.

16 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Well, at least I take it seriously.

It's hard to get past the stigma of, "Animation is for children".  There are plenty of genius animated films, and practically all of the Best Animated Feature nominations were more mature movies than most Comic Book Movies people drool about here.

• Like 3