Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

Will Smith is officially boycotting the ceremony, and actual nominee Mark Ruffalo is considering it as well. Is it too much to hope that Chris Rock will join and there will be no ceremony and we just have a quick run through of the winners like at the Golden Globes in 2008 because of the strike? LOL.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-nominee-mark-ruffalo-weighing-857867

• Like 1

Upon reading how un-pc The Revenant is and stuff-I would love to see it win, though who knows what they think in Hollywood with that crazy crowd :P

Edit: Also I have read just about everyone seems to say it is fantastic and better then Birdman (though very hard to watch)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-academy-diversity-changes-20160122-story.html

The Academy is considering going back to 10 nominees and expanding the acting fields in order to include more diverse actors. They're also planning on hiring more POC members in their ranks.

Please, no.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, All about Eve said:

Why don't they go the whole hog and give participation oscars to everyone who managed to get on a film set in any given year?

That way  noone's fragile ego gets bruised.

LOL, sadly its true-its that they all have huge egos!

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-academy-diversity-changes-20160122-story.html

The Academy is considering going back to 10 nominees and expanding the acting fields in order to include more diverse actors. They're also planning on hiring more POC members in their ranks.

A big YES to the first and third items, but a massive HELL TO THE NO for that second one. 

21 hours ago, Impact said:

Upon reading how un-pc The Revenant is and stuff-I would love to see it win, though who knows what they think in Hollywood with that crazy crowd :P

Edit: Also I have read just about everyone seems to say it is fantastic and better then Birdman (though very hard to watch)

i dunno what's so un pc about the revenant. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i dunno what's so un pc about the revenant. 

I read about how it ticked off PETA for killing animals.

Edit: And there was something else I read that it ticked off the pc crowd for some odd reason-but whatever I'll just leave it at that.

You know the 2 sound categories I could see 4 out of 5 films winning (other then Spies and Sicario in both of those)

Visuals-any other year I could see Mad Max, Martian or Revenant winning that. But it is Star Wars for sure.

And for some reason I want either Ruffalo or Rylance to win supporting actor. Just to hear "and the Oscar goes to Mark...." *both are going did I win and both get up* R....*they both run up*

Well in the 1930s Will Rogers did say Frank was the winner when Frank Carpa ran up to the stage to find out that it was Frank Lloyd!

1 hour ago, Impact said:

You know the 2 sound categories I could see 4 out of 5 films winning (other then Spies and Sicario in both of those)

Visuals-any other year I could see Mad Max, Martian or Revenant winning that. But it is Star Wars for sure.

And for some reason I want either Ruffalo or Rylance to win supporting actor. Just to hear "and the Oscar goes to Mark...." *both are going did I win and both get up* R....*they both run up*

Well in the 1930s Will Rogers did say Frank was the winner when Frank Carpa ran up to the stage to find out that it was Frank Lloyd!

Don't count out Sicario, that's exactly the kind of movie that wins Sound Editing

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Don't count out Sicario, that's exactly the kind of movie that wins Sound Editing

True-though I could see the other 4 winning it more.

Sound I see The Martian or Mad Max taking it-though I could also see Star Wars or Revenant taking it.

Ice Cube was a guest on the Graham Norton show on the BBC. He was asked about the Oscars controversy and gave such a dignified response you can't help but respect the man.

It's on YouTube and deserves millions of views.

Interestingly Will Smith was announced as next week's guest prompting a sharp intake of breath from the studio audience that sounded pretty negative. The Smiths are not going to come out well from this.