Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

Been out of the loop a bit but I've gotta say this whole "Oscah so white", "let's change our rules to ensure more black nominees" hubbub is ridiculous. Our culture has really gone off the deep end with the SJW movement. The problem isn't the Academy, it's the entire industry. If the studios invested in more quality films by black filmmakers, starring black actors, for black audiences then there would be more representation among the nominees. Denigrating the nominees and blaming the voting body does nothing to solve the problem. And the Academy deciding to adjust its entry requirements to admit more POC, while not a bad thing, is a band aid. And what does it imply anyway? That more black voters equals more black nominees? Because black people will only vote for black people? Sorry, I just don't get it, and this "controversy" (how quickly we forget 12YS domination 2 years ago) is the icing on the cake of leftist outrage for me. I mean give me a break.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM
  • Like 3

How you can be an OSCAR frontrunner?

1. Be from a big studio. Not a small indie one. (BIRDMAN, TBS and not BOYHOOD AND SPOTLIGHT)

2. Fly under the radar and be un-predicted by chickened out pundits who only go with safe bets (BIRDMAN, TBS and not BOYHOOD AND SPOTLIGHT)

3. Be either about the industry (BIRDMAN, ARGO) or be important (12 YAS and TBS)

4. Screen early (BIRDMAN) or around November max (TBS)

5. Have a lot of great actors (BIRDMAN, ARGO, TBS, 12 YAS)

kevin b. lee's oscar acting analysis videos he does every year are always a favourite of mine and he makes a great case for why stallone is certainly the best. As well as why ruffalo is the worst. don't always agree with him but I have a feeling we'd rank this category the same.

Edited by CoolioD1

I hope Tom Hardy's Oscar clip is the hammiest bit there is. 

Speaking of which, what does everyone think will be the acting nominees clips (there can be a separate thread for that if need be)? I hope Redmayne's is the scene where he watches the prostitute from the other side of the window and starts imitating all of her hand movements. Lol.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

How you can be an OSCAR frontrunner?

1. Be from a big studio. Not a small indie one. (BIRDMAN, TBS and not BOYHOOD AND SPOTLIGHT)

2. Fly under the radar and be un-predicted by chickened out pundits who only go with safe bets (BIRDMAN, TBS and not BOYHOOD AND SPOTLIGHT)

3. Be either about the industry (BIRDMAN, ARGO) or be important (12 YAS and TBS)

4. Screen early (BIRDMAN) or around November max (TBS)

5. Have a lot of great actors (BIRDMAN, ARGO, TBS, 12 YAS)

I guess that's how The Hurt Locker (which was from a studio that was still getting off the ground and had actors who would become popular after it took home the big prize) lost Best Picture then. Oh wait...

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I hope Tom Hardy's Oscar clip is the hammiest bit there is. 

Speaking of which, what does everyone think will be the acting nominees clips (there can be a separate thread for that if need be)? I hope Redmayne's is the scene where he watches the prostitute from the other side of the window and starts imitating all of her hand movements. Lol.

Damon's is going to be the scene where he loses contact in the rover.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Damon's is going to be the scene where he loses contact in the rover.

I was thinking they'd go with his first video log ("Surprise!").

I want Jennifer Jason Leigh's to be when she cackles away as Kurt Russell projectile vomits the poisoned coffee blood all over her face. Hehe.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I want Jennifer Jason Leigh's to be when she cackles away as Kurt Russell projectile vomits the poisoned coffee blood all over her face. Hehe.

:ohmygod:

That sounds like the most Tarantino-y thing ever

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

"When you get to Hell, John, tell 'em Daisy sent ya"

:D

freaking loved Hateful 8

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I guess that's how The Hurt Locker (which was from a studio that was still getting off the ground and had actors who would become popular after it took home the big prize) lost Best Picture then. Oh wait...

It's the only exception to the rule in the past 7 years

2 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

It's the only exception to the rule in the past 7 years

Then that's much of a rule then. Stop letting recent winners and "statistics" cloud your judgement.

Besides the year before that the Oscars went crazy for Slumdog Millionaire, a movie with an unknown cast that was in danger of going DTV at one point.

• Like 1

Last week I was bored and looked up the casts for all the BP nominees. The Martian and Spotlight had the 2 best ones, though The Big Short's cast is pretty impressive also. I only recognized 2 people from Brooklyn (Ronan and Broadbent), 3 people from Room (Joan Allen, Bill Macy and the mom from the Santa Clause. As well as 3 from The Revenant (Leo, Hardy and the guy who played Bill Weasley in Potter-oh and although I don't think I've seen anything with him, Will Poulter). Only 4 people from Mad Max (Hardy, Theron, the guy who plays Beast in First Class and the girl from Transformers 3), I did recognize quite a few from Spies-some of them I didn't know them by name but by there roles.

Edit: Take back what I said about Brooklyn, I actually recognize quite a few names from it.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Then that's much of a rule then. Stop letting recent winners and "statistics" cloud your judgement.

Besides the year before that the Oscars went crazy for Slumdog Millionaire, a movie with an unknown cast that was in danger of going DTV at one point.

The stats are what led Sasha Stone to correctly predict TBS for a PGA win, so yea the stats do matter. And yes TBS fits the bill perfectly: studio, importance, big cast. And it will win BP because of these factors and the pref ballot.

7 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

The stats are what led Sasha Stone to correctly predict TBS for a PGA win, so yea the stats do matter. And yes TBS fits the bill perfectly: studio, importance, big cast. And it will win BP because of these factors and the pref ballot.

The stats failed her and almost everyone last year with Birdman.  Pretty much every year by mid-december when all the movies have been screened there's 2-3-4 movies at most that have a shot at the BP oscar, pundits use past BP winners as comparisons to justify why they chose movie X over movie Y to win. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. Oscar predicting is a game similar to betting on sports, it's not science.

8 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

The Big Short is not locked yet, let's see what happens at SAG. Learn to stop being so reactionary.

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Big Short is not locked yet, let's see what happens at SAG. Learn to stop being so reactionary.

I don't need to 'learn' It's gonna win even if it doesn't win SAG.

American Hustle is one example of a SAG winner that went nowehere in the Oscars. Inglorious Basters, The Help and the list goes long.