Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

Here we go this is it I've finally seen all the BP nominees before the ceremony so I can finally rank them. Not in terms of which I think should win and shouldn't but just my overall enjoyment of the film's themselves. And they were all at least very good so "last place" isn't last, just the "least giant among Giants"

1. Room

2. Bridge of Spies

3. The big short

4. The Martian

5. Brooklyn

6. The revenant

7. Spotlight

8. Mad Max

Internet will break irrespective of Leo's win/loss. It's like in the old days when they used to keep 2 sets of newspapers with opposite headlines ready and wait for the decision. I am sure folks are ready with both 'win' and 'loose' memes and gifs, ready to be unleashed the moment the decision is announced.

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Internet will break irrespective of Leo's win/loss. It's like in the old days when they used to keep 2 sets of newspapers with opposite headlines ready and wait for the decision. I am sure folks are ready with both 'win' and 'loose' memes and gifs, ready to be unleashed the moment the decision is announced.

I just hope he gives a shoutout to Critters 3 for kicking off his film career and giving him all of these opportunities.

678954_1313962733684_300_260.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my personal Oscar ballot

Picture: The Big Short

Director: George Miller

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio

Actress: Saoirse Ronan

Supp Actor: Mark Rylance

Supp Actress: Jennifer Jason Leigh

Original Screenplay: Inside Out

Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short

Cinem: Sicario

Costume: Cinderella

Editing: The Big Short

Makeup: Mad Max

Production: Mad Max

Score: Bridge of Spies

Song: It Happens to You

Sound Edit: Mad Max

Sound Mix: Star Wars

VFX: Star Wars 

What I predict will win

BP: The Big Short

BD: Inarritu

BA: DiCaprio

BA: Larson

BSA: Stallone

BSA: Vikander

AS: The Big Short

C: The Revenant

CD: Cinderella

E: Mad Max

MUHS: Mad Max

PD: Mad Max

SE: Mad Max

SM: Mad Max

VFX: Star Wars

I'm still kinda furious over what they're doing with the Song nominees. We all know the Racing Extinction and Youth nominees were cut not because of time constraints but because they aren't famous like Lady Gaga, Sam Smith, and The Weeknd are.

I guess they needed to fill that time with jokes that likely won't land, although few could be worse than last year where they turned poor Octavia Spencer into a prop for 3 hours.

• Like 1

I'm still bummed that The Weeknd picked up a nod for Fifty Shades rather than Ellie Goulding.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the ceremony if only for the fact that Chris Rock will have the mic. Even when neutered for a TV-14 broadcast, he has the potential to slay, and I get the feeling that he's going to be even more vicious than he was in 2005, thanks to the Oscars So White controversy.

Just now, Webslinger said:

I'm still bummed that The Weeknd picked up a nod for Fifty Shades rather than Ellie Goulding.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the ceremony if only for the fact that Chris Rock will have the mic. Even when neutered for a TV-14 broadcast, he has the potential to slay, and I get the feeling that he's going to be even more vicious than he was in 2005, thanks to the Oscars So White controversy.

I'm glad Ellie Goulding didn't get nominated because I'm sick of her songs stalking me everywhere I go. I swear, I'm always hearing at least one of "Love Me Like You Do", "Lights", or "Burn" at one point each day.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm glad Ellie Goulding didn't get nominated because I'm sick of her songs stalking me everywhere I go. I swear, I'm always hearing at least one of "Love Me Like You Do", "Lights", or "Burn" at one point each day.

I guess you could say you got Ellie Goulding on your mind. :jeb!:

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I guess you could say you got Ellie Goulding on your mind. :jeb!:

I'm not even a big fan of hers, really. Her music does little for me. Only song of hers I really like is "Anything Could Happen."

Edited by filmlover

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

At what time do the Oscars start? And I assume the expected duration of the event is around 3 hours, right?

8:30 EST, so about 5 hours from now. The ceremony will at least be 3 and a half hours probably

Edited by WrathOfHan

The only thing I really really really wish for is Winslet to pull an upset so that I can have those pictures of her and Leo holding their Oscars together afterwards. And or anyone to win that category but Vikander so I don't have to pretend forever that she won for something other than that ridiculous movie.

• Like 1