efialtes76

Weekend revised estimates and 4 days totals pg 43 4 day est: RA2: 41.6: The Rev: 39.0... SW7: 32.5

2 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Not trying to knock Avatar.  I absolutely love that film.  But if it released today, even with expanded markets in some regions, it wouldn't come close to matching its own gross if you are measuring in US dollars.

I believe it would have come close. The much touted $2.3b with today's ER would have been more like $2.5b, then double the China gross and we would have had $2.7b.

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

No.

Why not? We already know TFA is on track to sell nearly 25m more tickets than Avatar DOM. I don't think it's reaching to say Avatar may end up only about 35-40m tickets ahead OS given such high 3d shares everywhere for it and ER. So 10-15m admissions behind wouldn't be a huge gap. 

I will add using real value of money to adjust over using ticket price also hammers ET. ET's initial run of 360mil is worth 873 million in 2015.

If TFA makes it too 900 million TFA will be the most successful initial run for a movie since ANH(in total gross, ET easily made more "profit", the same cannot be said for Titanic which actually had a bigger budget than TFA).  

Ticket price inflation adjustment is meaningless. TFA's 900 milllionish will stand above all other initial runs when their grosses are adjusted for inflation(again not ticket price inflation). Do the studios care more about how many tickets they sell or how much money they make? If they thought the could double the ticket prices and still sell 60% of the tickets they did at the old price, they would.  

Edited by tokila
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

The average ticket price in Germany for Avatar was €10,14, for TFA it is €11,34, which is an increase of 12%.

yes which would mean that ticket prices have out stripped inflation since 2009. Its relatively more expensive now to go a movie than it was in 09. That was my entire point using ticket price does not capture the relative success of a movie.

I can see why box office buffs might like using ticket inflation, but from an economic standpoint it is pointless. 

I know how this will sound but I don't really care all that much for OS numbers. Like others have said, OS numbers greatly depend on exchange rates at the time of a movies release. 

If TFA had the same exchange rates as Titanic and Avatar it would cruise past Titanic's WW gross lol

And thanks to OS audiences, especially China, we're getting Transformers 5. Thanks for that guys. 

The only OS countries I really look to see how movies did are the UK, China, Japan, Australia and maybe Russia. Couldn't care less about every where else box office wise. 

TFA will outgrows Avatar's adjusted DOM gross and that's all I really care about. Although, it's cool that it set the UK record as well. 

That's my opinion and I don't really care what people think about it. If your all about OS numbers then good for you. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

I know how this will sound but I don't really care all that much for OS numbers. Like others have said, OS numbers greatly depend on exchange rates at the time of a movies release. 

If TFA had the same exchange rates as Titanic and Avatar it would cruise past Titanic's WW gross lol

And thanks to OS audiences, especially China, we're getting Transformers 5. Thanks for that guys. 

The only OS countries I really look to see how movies did are the UK, China, Japan, Australia and maybe Russia. Couldn't care less about every where else box office wise. 

TFA will outgrows Avatar's adjusted DOM gross and that's all I really care about. Although, it's cool that it set the UK record as well. 

That's my opinion and I don't really care what people think about it. If your all about OS numbers then good for you. 

Amen, haha, I agree with you! We should each be entitled to our opinions and I've never given two shits about overseas box office grosses. I didn't grow up paying ANY attention to that crap. It's about as interesting as DVD sales figures or rental numbers. A cute little piece of trivia, extra money in the studio's coffers, but 100% irrelevant to me when it comes to King of the Hill, which is the top domestic grosser. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Yes you're not bitter at all. 

• Like 2

The mental gymnastics taking place in this thread right now is hilarious.

Trying to twist it so TFA's domestic run is somehow more successful than Titanic's? When was profitability ever a measure of success to anyone but studios? I've never heard of "the most profitable movies of all time" being talked about by anyone, ever.

The ways in which people are trying to twist things to make TFA seem more successful are getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, smokeylarue said:

amazing 1st post. welcome to the forum. 

how is it bitter to care more about your home box office than somewhere else? If I lived in France I would care more about the success of movies in my own country than somewhere else. I would still take interest in other markets but be primary interested in what it does at home.

I mostly care about US box office, however I am still interested in other others.

1. Domestic

2. English speaking countries (because they get to see the movie as intended, without awful dubbing or having to read the subtitles)

3. Europe (more developed and refined taste in cinema, less cultural differences). 

4. Japan (developed market, its also fun to watch the legs on movies there, and I enjoy Japanese cinema)

5. Latin America (some interesting developing markets, tend to prop up bad movies)

6. Rest of Asia (There is almost no correlation with quality and gross there, they keep saving crap movies... ugh....)

7. Africa/ middle east / etc. (just because the markets are smaller, many of the smaller markets actual have pretty good taste they are just small)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Again, that is disregarding inflation and market expansions. From your example, Avatar would have made about €130m in Germany today with TFA ticket prices.

What market expansion? Some foreign markets have been shrinking for years. China has grown, but movies are limited to 30 day runs now.

Also, Avatar had the highest percentage of 3D tickets of any movie, and therefore its ticket prices weren't that different from TFA. So, all in all, Avatar had a huge advantage in foreign markets. There's also stuff like Netflix in 4K today...

Edited by TommyA10

4 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

What market expansion? Some foreign markets have been shrinking for years. China has grown, but movies are limited to 30 day runs now.

Not just China has expanded when it comes to Asia. Also Latin America has expanded.

20 minutes ago, smokeylarue said:

Bwhahahahahaha!!!!!

Bitter about what? 

Months before TFAs release I had it doing 700-800m DOM and 800-900m OS. 

Yea, I'm totally bitter about it doing 900+ DOM and 1b+ OS  LOL!!!

Think before you post 

• Like 8