Travod

Oscars Discussion - Nominations in First Post - Red Carpet Time!

While I do think Apes should have won, in defense of Hugo the category is visual effects, not special effects, so it does encompass everything you see on screen, not just the special effects- and Hugo was visually amazing.

IMO, The Artist this year was a way better choice than The King's Speech last year.

The King's Speech is an actual movie. It has real acting and people talking. It's not a gimmick. It was deserving of best picture. The artist is an extinct breed of movie and it never even should have been considered for best picture.

But the very fact that THE ARTIST was very specifically such a curiosity means it was an incredibly long shot to get such recognition. It won because a lot of people thought it was charming. Pretty much end of story.Weinstein doesn't bribe. It's just that the Oscars are the equivalent of a high school prom. People vote for the movies they like and their friends. So when a film is generally liked overall it will win a lot of the tech awards it's nominated for simply because many Academy members don't have the specific knowledge or technical information to determine the "best". So they vote for the movie they liked -- which leads to things like HUGO winning over APES.Since the Academy demographics are so old and white and male (generally), that basically is a good indicator of what will win: just think of which movies your grandparents would like and there you go.

I don't think The Artist was a gimmick or Oscar bait, and it winning was amazing. And, here are my reasons.1) B&W--first, it is hard for a B&W film to get a BP nom. It doesn't happen often. Last B&W winner was Schindler's List2) Silent film--When was the last time that the Academy went gaga over silent films--um, like 100 years ago. Okay, more like 84, but you get the point.3) French--This was technically a foreign film and not some American studio made film. Thus, making it more impressive.4) Indie film--Okay, we've had a few indie winners before, but still, it's impressive when one takes the show.Yes, the Weinstein's got behind the film, but I believe that was after it was a finished product. Say what you want, but The Artist winning is pretty dang impressive, and in my opinion, it is one of the best films of 2011.

I did not find the Artist charming at all.How did the hell did Hugh win best visual effects?Next year should be better withLincolnThe MasterTerrance Mallick filmsLes MiserablesThe HobbitDjango UnchainedGravityThe Dark Knight RisesBraveArgoLife of Piplus the surprise indie film of the yearAll these should get a handful of nomination. Some these will not be up for BP but all should have some sort presents at the academy and there should be a film for everyone that gets a couple of Oscar nominations.

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

LincolnThe MasterTerrance Mallick filmsLes MiserablesThe HobbitDjango UnchainedGravityThe Dark Knight RisesBraveArgoLife of Piplus the surprise indie film of the yearGangester SquadSelmaDark ShadowsNot all these films will be good but at least 6 out 11 should at least be good and should get a couple of Oscar nomination. I think next year could have as high Oscar viewing.

The King's Speech is an actual movie. It has real acting and people talking. It's not a gimmick. It was deserving of best picture. The artist is an extinct breed of movie and it never even should have been considered for best picture.

I don't think he means The Artist is better than TKS, just that it was a better choice based in its competition. Many, including myself, felt there were much better choices last year for bp (Black Swan, TSN, Inception, etc) than TKS...TSN (and Fincher) especially.

I don't think The Artist was a gimmick or Oscar bait, and it winning was amazing. And, here are my reasons.

1) B&W--first, it is hard for a B&W film to get a BP nom. It doesn't happen often. Last B&W winner was Schindler's List

2) Silent film--When was the last time that the Academy went gaga over silent films--um, like 100 years ago. Okay, more like 84, but you get the point.

3) French--This was technically a foreign film and not some American studio made film. Thus, making it more impressive.

4) Indie film--Okay, we've had a few indie winners before, but still, it's impressive when one takes the show.

Yes, the Weinstein's got behind the film, but I believe that was after it was a finished product. Say what you want, but The Artist winning is pretty dang impressive, and in my opinion, it is one of the best films of 2011.

All of the aforementioned are advantages, with the possible exception of it being French, but any language issue is resolved by the fact that it was silent in the first place. I have not seen it, but just knowing about it gave me every reason to suspect that it would be on a short list for awards including the one that it did win.

I don't think he means The Artist is better than TKS, just that it was a better choice based in its competition. Many, including myself, felt there were much better choices last year for bp (Black Swan, TSN, Inception, etc) than TKS...TSN (and Fincher) especially.

Yea, but I disagree with it. Black Swan and TSN were good but not in the same league as TKS, imo,. Inception should have been nominated and won no doubt, but TKS, imo is a very good movie and a worth winner.

I don't think The Artist was a gimmick or Oscar bait, and it winning was amazing. And, here are my reasons.1) B&W--first, it is hard for a B&W film to get a BP nom. It doesn't happen often. Last B&W winner was Schindler's List2) Silent film--When was the last time that the Academy went gaga over silent films--um, like 100 years ago. Okay, more like 84, but you get the point.3) French--This was technically a foreign film and not some American studio made film. Thus, making it more impressive.4) Indie film--Okay, we've had a few indie winners before, but still, it's impressive when one takes the show.Yes, the Weinstein's got behind the film, but I believe that was after it was a finished product. Say what you want, but The Artist winning is pretty dang impressive, and in my opinion, it is one of the best films of 2011.

All of those reasons you mention are advantages for it. Plus, the Weinsteins produced it so that automatically makes it an oscar contender.

By the way, I am not sure why movies about movies should have an advantage when it comes to being "Oscarbait"- well, anyway, there certainly seems to be. It strikes me as rather self-congratulatory for the Academy to consider that an advantage.

By the way, I am not sure why movies about movies should have an advantage when it comes to being "Oscarbait"- well, anyway, there certainly seems to be. It strikes me as rather self-congratulatory for the Academy to consider that an advantage.

Hugo

Artist

Midnight in Paris

All films about films in the 20's and 30's

all nominated for best picture.

I'm still throwing up.

This.

IMO, it was just a bad year for movies in general. Terrible in terms of tickets sold; terrible in quality overall. I haven't seen any of the BP nominees but have only bothered to put 4 of them in my Netflix; the others, including the Artist, I will just have to manage without. That aside, while I saw quite a few enjoyable movies, out of about 25 movies that I saw, only about five I could consider good movies. And, of those, only Dragon Tattoo was remotely worthy of a BP non, which it didn't get anyway.

HugoArtistMidnight in ParisAll films about films in the 20's and 30'sall nominated for best picture.I'm still throwing up.

Eh, Midnight in Paris isn't really about films, and the whole theme of that movie is "nostalgia is bullshit" so in a sense that makes it the anti-artist or something.