Travod

Oscars Discussion - Nominations in First Post - Red Carpet Time!

I mean in terms of great films like Oscar films. In 11 years there is only handful of great films that I am going to say that are going to be consider classics. Do you think in 30 years people are going to be talking about the following films: The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker, Slumdog Millionaire, The Descendants, An Education, Winter;s Bone, True Gritt, The Kids All Are Right, The Hours, Chicago, Crash, Lost in Transition, Mystic River, Seabisscuit, Traffic, Erin Brockovich, Chocolat, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Queen, Babel, Good Night and Good Luck, Hustle and Flow, Frost/Nixion, Up in the Air, Precious, A Serous Man, and The Reader.All of the these films won BP or where nominated for BP. The only BP winner that will be remembered in LOTR: ROTK some of the other ones might but that is the only film that is for certain.

I agree. There are 2-3 movies in the list that I think will be remembered as classics but the rest will be forgotten.

Look at how many of those films are still remembered. Show there are some that are not but 90's look a lot better than the last 11 years in terms of drama Oscar films.

Titanic

Full Monty

Good Will Hunting

As Good as it Gets

LA Confidential

I never realised the Full Monty got nominated for BP. Not surprised though, it's freaking awesome. Seems like we brits are the only ones capable of tickling the academy's funny bone.

I mean in terms of great films like Oscar films. In 11 years there is only handful of great films that I am going to say that are going to be consider classics. Do you think in 30 years people are going to be talking about the following films: The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker, Slumdog Millionaire, The Descendants, An Education, Winter;s Bone, True Gritt, The Kids All Are Right, The Hours, Chicago, Crash, Lost in Transition, Mystic River, Seabisscuit, Traffic, Erin Brockovich, Chocolat, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Queen, Babel, Good Night and Good Luck, Hustle and Flow, Frost/Nixion, Up in the Air, Precious, A Serous Man, and The Reader.All of the these films won BP or where nominated for BP. The only BP winner that will be remembered in LOTR: ROTK some of the other ones might but that is the only film that is for certain.

You could say literally the same thing about the 90's nominees. Or any decade for that matter.Also, Slumdog will be remembered. Edited by lab276

It's funny that you seem to think the only reason The Artist got all this recognition was because the Academy is a bunch of old farts and they're the only ones that can relate to or enjoy it. Yet from my personal experiences just the opposite has been true. I went to the movie with a few of my friends once, and then my mom and sister the other time. It was my friends and my sister who liked or loved the movie, and my Mom who thought it was mediocre and didn't want to watch a silent movie. If anything I think the Artist comes off as refreshing to a lot of younger audiences because we've never seen anything like it. And most critics mentioned what a breath of fresh air it was. That's likely to be the real reason it got so many accolades, not because the people who give these awards are all 80 or 90 year olds that can remember Chaplin.

So if a film is different, that means it is good enough for an oscar nomination?So, why didn't The Blair Witch Project get nominated. It's different.Why didn't Avatar win? It's different.The academy nominates almost every damned Weinstein film. I'm shocked Clerks II didn't get a best picture nomination.And what does your mom have to do with the academy? Is she an 85 year film maker who born in the 1920's?

Look at how many of those films are still remembered. Show there are some that are not but 90's look a lot better than the last 11 years in terms of drama Oscar films.

American beauty 4

The Cider House 5

The Green Mile 3

The Sixth Scene 1

The Insider 2

Shakespeare in Love 5

Saving Private Ryan 1

The Thin Red Line 2

Life is Beautiful 3

Elizabeth 4

Titanic 2

Full Monty 5

Good Will Hunting 1

As Good as it Gets 4

LA Confidential 3

The English Patient 5

Fargo 1

Jerry McGuire 2

Secrets and Lies 4

Shine 3

Braveheart 1

Apollo 13 2

babe 3

Il Postino 5

Sense & Sensibility 4

Forrest Gump 4

Four wedding and a Furnel 5

Quiz Show 3

Pulp Fiction 2

The Shawshank Redemption 1

Schindler's List* 1

The Fugtive 2

In the Name of the father 3

The Piano 4

The Remains of the Day 5

Unforgiven* 1

The Crying Game 5

A Few Good Men 2

Howards End 4

A Scent of a Women 3

Silent of the Lambs* 1

Beauty and the Beast 3

Bugsy 4

JFK 2

Prince of Tides 5

Dance with Wolves*3

Awakening 2

Ghost 5

Godfather part 3 4

Goodfellas 1

So I highlighted the films that I would have picked and a ranking of each film nominated. Though some of the lower rankings might be due to the fact that I haven't seen some of the movies listed. For example I've never seen IL Postino.

My Best Picture Picks for 90s

American beauty

Saving Private Ryan

LA Confidential

Fargo

Apollo 13

Pulp Fiction

The Remains of the Day

Unforgiven

Silence of the Lambs

Goodfellas

Edited by TLK

If we're doing our 90's best pics:

American Beauty

Saving Private Ryan

Titanic

Fargo

Braveheart

Forrest/Pulp/Shawshank all equal in my eyes

Schindler's List

A Few Good Men

JFK

Dance with Wolves/Goodfellas both equal to me

1999 - The Insider1998 - Shakespeare in Love1997 - LA Confidential1996 - Fargo1995 - Babe1994 - Forrest Gump1993 - Schindler's List1992 - A Few Good Men1991 - JFK/Beauty and the Beast (idk, would have to be a tie)1990 - GoodfellasAnd for fun!2000 - Crouching Tiger2001 - Lord of the Rings #12002 - Lord of the Rings #22003 - Lord of the Rings #32004 - Sideways2005 - Good Night, And Good Luck2006 - The Departed2007 - There Will Be Blood2008 - Milk2009 - Up2010 - 127 Hours2011 - The Artist

1999 - American Beauty1998 - Saving Private Ryan1997 - Good Will Hunting1996 - Fargo1995 - Braveheart1994 - The Shawshank Redemption1993 - Schindler's List1992 - Unforgiven1991 - The Silence of the Lambs1990 - Goodfellas