Travod

Oscars Discussion - Nominations in First Post - Red Carpet Time!

I honestly believe DH2 would have gotten in with last year's rule.

There's no way DH2 gets in over movies like Dragon Tattoo, 50/50, Tinker Tailor, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head, even if it was mandatory 10 best pic noms.

I don't think you quite get the point.Jim Carrey has never been nominated. Never. Despite the fact he has had more attempts at it. (He is also way more funny, more known, and a better actor but that is besides the point)This is Hill's first dramatic role...

Also:Plummer may not win. Remember-it is the films ONLY nomination.Foreign film is not that locked-Iran vs. Israel AKA Jews vs. Muslims...Not to get politicial, but that is what the Oscars are about. And they might not be happy to see Iran win.Close could actually win. Yes it seems like Davis vs. Streep vs. Williams. BUT she is tied with Thelma Ritter for the most losses ever for a actress (or one less, don't remember), will they let her go empty handed?

I don't think you quite get the point.Jim Carrey has never been nominated. Never. Despite the fact he has had more attempts at it. (He is also way more funny, more known, and a better actor but that is besides the point)This is Hill's first dramatic role...

I know what you meant. Just saying, Hill deserved it.Who did Carrey got snubbed for the year of Eternal Sunshine?

That movie looks so creepy. I'm annoyed she got a nom. Haven't seen "Kevin" but Swinton had to be better... Even Kristen Wiig deserved one over her.

Swinton gave the best performance of last year IMO. When I first saw Kevin I thought the academy would want nothing to do with it, too dark and experimental, but when Tilda started getting nominated everywhere I got my hopes up. *sigh*

Who knows what the 10th film was (it better not have been Potter or I'd REALLY be pissed EL and Tree got in) but one thing I do know is this BP new rule this year proved to be entirely pointless. Here we had a craptastic year (for the oscar baiting films) and they still nominated 9 of them. They may as well just keep the rule at 10. It's more consistent.

I think the problem with the new rule means that even if 95 percent of the academy hate a film, it can still get in with the 5 percent. Bloody stupid rule if you ask me.

Exactly. That's why some BP nominees wouldn't have gotten in with last year's system. That was much more of a consensus thing, but a small fanbase can get you a Best Picture nod now. God, I hope they go back to five next year.

Exactly. That's why some BP nominees wouldn't have gotten in with last year's system. That was much more of a consensus thing, but a small fanbase can get you a Best Picture nod now. God, I hope they go back to five next year.

This is really infuriating. What a load of shit. Guess there was nowhere to go but down after last year's awesome nominees. Edited by rockNrollaDIM

I think the problem with the new rule means that even if 95 percent of the academy hate a film, it can still get in with the 5 percent. Bloody stupid rule if you ask me.

The academy seems to think that's a good thing for some reason. They prefer passion over consensus.