Grade It:  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A light but ultimately minor comic effort from the Coens. Parts of it are hilarious and parts of it fall very much flat, but it's entertaining enough. Ironically, the standout in a cast filled with famous faces turns out to be relative newcomer Alden Ehrenreich. B-

9 hours ago, mattmav45 said:

Film sucks balls. Best aspect of cinema is a good story told in a good way.

If this was anyone but the Cohens, this film would be ridiculed.

Enough said.

I was looking forward to this ...Damn i was hoping it would be good ..

To each their own. I likely exaggerated a little as I was drunk. With that said, I have no desire to re-visit this. 

Fluffy as fuck with very little reason to exist. Others will undoubtedly disagree.

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 3

I'm super upset. this was probably my most anticipated movie of the month, and not any of the theaters around me is playing it. I'd have to go like over an hour and a half to see it. and it would just be too expensive and time consuming to do that for me right now. :(

4 hours ago, mattmav45 said:

To each their own. I likely exaggerated a little as I was drunk. With that said, I have no desire to re-visit this. 

Fluffy as fuck with very little reason to exist. Others will undoubtedly disagree.

Not to the extreme you are saying, but I kinda agree with you on the overall film. A couple really funny scenes with the young cowboy, but not much more.

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I think he was cut?

I certainly don't remember seeing him, but I thought maybe we heard a line or something. I think you're right, though. 

C'mon, this movie has Christopher Lambert, Clancy Brown, *and* (almost) Dolph. How can anyone not love it? :P 

• Like 1

Hail, Caesar! is one funny movie. The Coens are in top form, along with their cast. I'm slightly confused why this was released in February, as it's one of their most "awards" movie yet. It's easy to imagine Hollywood falling in love with this movie and bestowing many honors upon it. But as previously mentioned, this film really shines in the comedy. There are laughs a plenty, and the entire cast has a moment to shine (except Jonah Hill). Brolin is particularly strong as the lead holding it together, but Swinton is particularly fun in a dual role along with Tatum's much talked about dance number that makes you want to see a '50s musical starring the man. However, the actor who really steals the show is the Coens' discovery of Alden Ehrenreich. His earnestness and being the only sane man besides Mannix is endearing, and it's truly a great performance that came out of nowhere. Deakins' cinematography is understated but wonderful, and the film is deftly directed. Hail, Ceasar! is a really amusing comedy from the Brothers Coen, and a worthy beginning to the prestige films of 2016. B

Edited by Blankments

A man under the pen name of "department store basement" sits in a Los Angeles theater to watch "Hail, Caesar!"

10 minutes later...

DSB

This is a great comedy about the misfortunes of a boss I hate so much!

60 minutes later...

DSB

It was about the Red Scare the entire time?

75/100 - high B

(Edit: The Red Scare comment was sarcastic, I was just too pissed off at Clooney's speech at the end)

Edited by department store basement

I really enjoyed this movie, it felt old-fashioned the whole way through with a tint of modern style.  It definitely did not disappoint on the uniqueness of a Coen movie, and the humor is great, classy, and classically action based.  Hail, Caesar earns your laughs and it earns your respect as lovely film about classic Hollywood and all of its quirks.

B+

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1