WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Most importantly, I don't think Affleck wants to be any sort of DC super-boss.

I think what he clearly wants is money to do whatever he wants to do in-between those Batman/JL movies, and he probably got that fairly easy in the negotiations. 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I dunno, man, there are many, many assumptions there. "Bloated", what does that mean? We won't know whether the runtime is justified until the movie comes out. "Desperately needs to succeed"? Maybe, but it's gonna be a huge hit. The only question is whether it's huge or hugely huge. "The studio and everyone who's seen the movie" -- I really don't put much credence to pre-release whispers, and regardless, that's hardly gonna affect the movie over-much. I don't think the WB/DC creative team is gonna change a whole lot through this current generation of products.

Most importantly, I don't think Affleck wants to be any sort of DC super-boss.

I am of course making a lot of assumptions, this is my opinion off of what I can see and hear.  Bloated is pretty easy though.  Zack Snyder tends to run his movies 20 minutes or so too long, usually with effects work that isn't necessary.  

Oh, it absolutely desperately needs to succeed for Warner Bros. and DC.  They have billions in future productions and revenue riding on this being a good enough success to jump start their DC shared universe.  Off the top of my head, they have Batman vs. Superman, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League Part 1&2, new Batman Trilogy and others either with release dates or in the works.  That right there is $5b-7b in box office alone not even mentioning home video, merchandise, etc....  They need this to work.  

I agree that Affleck might not want it, but supposedly he didn't really want Batman either but they talked him into it.  Then they talked him into more and more and more.  I would think if he is going to be that deeply involved, might as well be the boss of the whole thing, but that is my speculation on WB eventually wanting Zack Snyder removed from power.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think what he clearly wants is money to do whatever he wants to do in-between those Batman/JL movies, and he probably got that fairly easy in the negotiations. 

That is the basis of my thinking as well.  If he does this and it is successful, he can literally do any project he wants as part of it.  

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I can't do a top ten SH movie ranking....too difficult....but here are 11 films that I love in the SH genre:

TDK

The Avengers

Superman

Superman 2

Spider-man

Spider-man 2

Captain America 2

Deadpool

Batman Begins

Deadpool

The Watchmen

Ones I hate are:

AOU

Batman Returns

Thor

Thor 2

Batman and Robin

Amazing Spider-man

Deadpool is so fucking great that it's TWO TIMES in your favorites list. :lol:

One thing that needs to be said that I think people are maybe taking for granted: in terms of sheer enjoyment and fun, I think Deadpool is unstoppable. I seriously can't think of any "fun" film that was as good and with as much heart as this one. Including indies, blockbusters, raunchy comedies and even fucking Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It's that insanely good to me. If we were talking about how much sheer genuine FUN I've had with a film (not including Black Swan for some obscenous reasons, long story and I won't go there) in a movie theater, Deadpool is just unbeatable to me. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Well, Ryan Reynolds may have been on his last chance (although I doubt it, he's been making smaller films with some success and he is obviously talented....but I'm digressing) but now that this is a success, he is going to make a pile of money from it.  He produced it and the budget is incredibly low and I'm sure he has some kind of back end deal with it.  Good for him.  I'm very happy for him.

The cherry on top is that he is headlining a breakout hit inside a franchise that is about to expand with many other properties. After this weekend, he is bound to lead more Deadpool films, as well as an X-Force project (marketed as the rated-R version of X-Men) and at the very least a cameo in a future X-Men film.

This really comes at the perfect time for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

No, currently the film rights to the Green Hornet are or were owned by Sony. The character was last published in comic form by Dynamite Entertainment.

I don't think the character has ever been published by DC, and they did a Shadow comic at one point, just for reference.

It looks like DC Comics actually has the rights at this point for comic books and they have done a few crossover things, but nothing major.  

21 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Quick poll guys: does this preview number (& potential $80m OW) increase or decrease your expectations for BvS or no change?

No change.  Deadpool breaking out doesn't make people want to see BVS more than a month out any more or less than they already do.

Just now, FlashMaster659 said:

Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool is on fire at the Friday box office, where it's on course to gross $35 million-plus for the day and $90 million or more over the long Valentine's Day/Presidents Day weekend, according to early returns.

And some people said that me and @Shawn were crazy and/or high. :rolleyes:

tumblr_inline_o1opy0MBZn1sg9m04_500.gif

8 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Oh, it absolutely desperately needs to succeed for Warner Bros. and DC.  They have billions in future productions and revenue riding on this being a good enough success to jump start their DC shared universe.  Off the top of my head, they have Batman vs. Superman, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League Part 1&2, new Batman Trilogy and others either with release dates or in the works.  That right there is $5b-7b in box office alone not even mentioning home video, merchandise, etc....  They need this to work.  

I agree that Affleck might not want it, but supposedly he didn't really want Batman either but they talked him into it.  Then they talked him into more and more and more.  I would think if he is going to be that deeply involved, might as well be the boss of the whole thing, but that is my speculation on WB eventually wanting Zack Snyder removed from power.  

Even with this getting a mixed reaction, SS, WW, and even JL1/2 seem like strong to super-strong hits. After that, success for the lesser known superheros may depend on the quality of the movie before them. But even putting all that aside, there's a huge difference between being convinced to star in some DC movies (and maybe direct a couple) versus being the overseer in charge of all the DC productions. That's a full-time job with a great deal of oversight into multiple projects, and it really doesn't leave room to wander off the plantation for a personal project or two. I just don't see Affleck being such a huge DC fan that this would be worth it.... even if WB and DC want to blow up the current brain trust, and so far there's really been no indication of that (aside from fan desires and speculation). Delivering a billion dollar hit with BVS and guiding SS to (what seems like) a huge surprise success is gonna give Snyder a lot of bullets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I'll take 35M yea.

Notice that THR is saying $35m-plus. I'd say that's a conservative estimation now. North of $40m is more likely. We might be talking about something as much insane as topping Man of Steel's OW 3 days for Deadpool's 4 days, even with the Walmart tickets. 

Edited by iJackSparrow