WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

We have a new theme option we're introducing. It's called "Movie Background" -- the backgrounds will change through the year, based on cool upcoming releases. It's active now, so if you'd like to change from the default, go to the bottom of your forum page and select "Themes" in the bottom left.

Looks great. Fantastic idea. Well done, folks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Bit different this ofvallound. If this does 33M previews w ould have accounted for nearly 40% of the OD. That wouln't bode well for Saturday.

Lol you have no idea what youre talking about. First of Its R rated secondly its valentines weekend and third it doesnt matter if its front loaded or not. This is a massive hit and no one called it doing 80-100 OW. So im not even sure what your point is.

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They should have moved it to next weekend or something.

Maybe but even then, I doubt it ever would've been a big hit even if Deadpool hadn't completely annihilated it. The ads were decidedly short on actual laughs (as much of a target as he's become in recent years, making "we kill Justin Bieber in this movie" a main selling point was dumb), 15 years was too long of a wait, Stiller is hardly in demand these days, and the poor reviews were the final nail in the coffin.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I'll admit I was one of the people thinking this would only be a modest hit (I predicted 60m for the 4 day) and quickly die out. While we have yet to see how this movie will hold, I'm definitely glad it's breaking out. And they said "superhero fatigue" is a thing. If anything, this just shows how powerful the superhero "genre" is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

They should have moved it to next weekend or something.

I'm not sure Zoolander would've done much better on any other date.

It just didn't have the interest of Anchorman 2 or Dumb and Dumber 2.

Then on top of that the critics trashed it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Lol you have no idea what youre talking about. First of Its R rated secondly its valentines weekend and third it doesnt matter if its front loaded or not. This is a massive hit and no one called it doing 80-100 OW. So im not even sure what your point is.

I knew someone would attack me. I'm not saying this isn't a success, all I'm saying is it could be pretty frontloaded if these early reports hold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Maybe but even then, I doubt it ever would've been a big hit even if Deadpool hadn't completely annihilated it. The ads were decidedly short on actual laughs (as much of a target as he's become in recent years, making "we kill Justin Bieber in this movie" a main selling point wasn't dumb), 15 years was too long of a wait, Stiller is hardly in demand these days, and the poor reviews were the final nail in the coffin.

I thought it was pretty pointless.

And yeah, there were 0 laughs in the trailers.

Still, the obvious decision was to move it to next weekend.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I knew someone would attack me. I'm not saying this isn't a success, all I'm saying is it could be pretty frontloaded if these early reports hold.

Yup, low 30M OD and it might not do 80M on the 3 days. 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I'm not sure Zoolander would've done much better on any other date.

It just didn't have the interest of Anchorman 2 or Dumb and Dumber 2.

Then on top of that the critics trashed it.

I am not saying it would. But releasing it against Deadpool was obviously a bad idea since December or something. There was time to push it a week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I actually meant to say "was" and changed it just now. Silly typo.

I saw that scene for the first time in that recent trailer they released and I was like... really? The scene isn't even funny. It is just... there.

A Zoolander 2 would've likely been big 10 years ago (when Stiller was still in the midst of the strong Dodgeball/Fockers/Night at the Museum run and Wilson was coming off of Wedding Crashers and Will Ferrell was developing a strong post-SNL career). Now? It was like, "who cares?"

• Like 5