sfran43

Tuesday's Numbers: Deadpool $5.16M - RISEN $1.32M

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Seeing it tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back soon after. Hoping it's half as good as Stephen Chow's Journey To The West. He's a pretty unique talent and blends genres well. Not to mention, has an outstanding skill for framing slapstick humor, pratfalls and wrapping it around warped violence all while tugging your heart strings. I have high hopes.

:WHATanabe:

Journey to the West is pretty bad. Hope for Shaolin Soccer quality, at least.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sfran43 said:

I thought this movie would get decent WOM and it is. The way it places the viewer in that era is at times profound. I know that word is overused but it does so in the same manner as The Revenant. Might even exceed the Revenant in this.

2 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

:WHATanabe:

Journey to the West is pretty bad. Hope for Shaolin Soccer quality, at least.

Mermaid is one of worst of Steven Chow's works...But it gets good rating on Rotten Tomatoes, maybe it is better received in North America.

• Like 2

If any of you expects Mermaid to be like any of Stephen Chow's earlier films you'll be disappointed.

32 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

How hell is a romantic comedy in China so much money? WTF?

Stephen Chow and Nostagia

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Romantic... Comedy. Titanic was a drama.

Wait Titanic wasn't a romantic comedy? But... the propeller scene? The fact that you could host a large dinner party on the piece of wood that Kate Winslet's fat ass hogged and let Leo die? The hand on the steamy window? The time when Kate says that half the ship is going to die and Billy Zane is like, "Not the better half"? 

Titanic is definitely a romantic comedy.

• Like 1

Deadpool has the smallest bump of the Top 10. It's second weekend hold was nothing special either. I really think that this movie won't have the longevity to top Passion of The Christ as Top R rated movie of all time. Which is fine by me, Passion deserves it way more. Unless it starts mustering some great holds, DP was definitely just a one week wonder.

8 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

How hell is a romantic comedy in China so much money? WTF?

The same way that Mammia Mia was the movie that ultimately topped Titanic in the UK. Weirder things have happened.

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Wait Titanic wasn't a romantic comedy? But... the propeller scene? The fact that you could host a large dinner party on the piece of wood that Kate Winslet's fat ass hogged and let Leo die? The hand on the steamy window? The time when Kate says that half the ship is going to die and Billy Zane is like, "Not the better half"? 

Actually, the "piece of wood" could not carry two people on its own, they tried that on Mythbusters and it always sunk ;)

There is a difference between enough place for two people and enough buoyancy for two people. They managed to find a way to not let it sink, but it required taking two life-vests, connecting them and putting them around the wood to give it more buoyancy. Not exactly something you come up with in a matter of a few seconds while you are drifting in the cold Atlantic after your ship just went down.

I really wouldn't call Titanic a romantic comedy, it doesn't really fit into that category at all. It is very much a drama. Then again, I don't think this was about Titanic anyway because it most definately isn't the best selling movie ever in the US, regardless of which method you use. I guess it was supposed to be about Gone with the Wind, which definately can be described as a romance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Facepalm.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Titanic isn't a romantic comedy....It's a romantic drama. And not just a drama, it's a disaster-flick.

16 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

What about The Witch? Did it not have any theatres playing it on Tuesday?

Deadpool at nearly $250M DOM in under 3 weeks. Crazy stuff. The Mermaid also doing alright for itself, $550-600M are a given at this point. Anomalisa deserves WAY more, though.

that mermaid film looks fucking terrible, the Chinese really do have questionable taste, strange people.