BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

6 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

I'd easily choose HTTYD over TS3.

And, honestly, Persepolis over Ratatouille.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

KFP over Wall-E
HTTYD over TS3
WIR or ParaNorman over Brave
Song of the Sea over BH6
Anomalisa over Inside Out

I personally liked HTTYD more than TS3 as well. It would have gotten my vote, but the available evidence suggests that would be a minority opinion among critics and even general audiences (although that's a close one), not just the Academy.

KFP over WALL-E and Anomalisa over Inside Out are definitely minority opinions. Song of the Sea probably really did lose to BH6 because of less exposure (ie. being smaller), but that's Disney. 

I guess the point I'm making is that I don't think Pixar films (with the possible exception of Brave) are beating smaller films in Academy voting because of greater exposure.

Thanks for sharing though, I was genuinely curious, because I haven't seen a lot of smaller films myself. Persepolis and Anomalisa are on the priority list now.

Edit: I see some more people replied, while I typed this. Shaun the Sheep is on the list now as well. (Princess Kayuga was already there). I loved When Marnie Was There, better than Inside Out for me personally as well.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

I am also on the Persepolis > Ratatouille wagon

As for this year, I think at this point people who love Pixar love Disney just as much if not more, and anyone voting in this branch likely will find the time to watch both Zootopia and Finding Dory, so I give Zoo the edge even though it didn't make as much at the box office, though I still hold on to hope that Kubo gets recognition

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

The only win I have real qualms with is Brave's win. Paranorman and Wreck-It Ralph were both much better, IMO. I can understand if the three stop-motion movies ate each other's votes, but it's almost as if the judged the cover by the book on Wreck-It Ralph. Brave was beautifully animated, but otherwise generic. Tbh, Paranorman would've gotten my Oscar.

• Like 1

I'm not actually bothered by Brave over WiR. While WiR is a lot of fun, it's got some structural problems. And Brave does a core relationship that you really don't see in big budget, 4-quadrant fare.  Really, though, 2012 had a bunch of films that were fairly close to each other in quality, so I'm not particularly in favor of one over the other.

Since people brought it up, 2014 is an interesting year. I'm not bugged that BH6 won, since I enjoy it a lot, but I could see reasons that pretty much any of the other films would have been deserving as well. The one controversial, I guess, point I'd have is that I don't think LEGO deserved the award, and it wasn't really snubbed of a nom.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

KFP over Wall-E
HTTYD over TS3
WIR or ParaNorman over Brave
Song of the Sea over BH6
Anomalisa over Inside Out

BH6 was WDS not Pixar

The animation wing is great in nominating smaller and foreign films, better than the Academy does in nominating in the "big" categories.

When it comes to voting Animation isn't widely respected or taken seriously.  Many don't watch or vote for the one they happened to see or their 5 year old liked.  Hence blockbuster wins unless a film is wildly critically acclaimed or a phenomenon.  See: Spirited Away.

• Like 2

yeah that's what i've been saying. big hero 6 doesn't win cos they weighed it against the competition. big hero 6 wins because everyone who's not in the animation branch looks at their ballot and says "oh, is that the disney one? eh, sure" before moving on to categories they care more about. tbf this happens when actually good movies like inside out win too probably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slambros said:

Having not see Song In The Sea, I'd give 2014 to The Tale Of Princess Kaguya, but Big Hero 6 was good in its own right.

Kaguya is gorgeous, but a bit too long and it doesn't quick stick the ending, IMO. Song of the Sea is pretty much brilliant, though. I really hope Cartoon Saloon gets a win one of these years, because their work is really top notch.

• Like 2

It's easy to root in favor of little artful films instead of underlining the obvious strengths of bigger movies.

Fact is, we live in an era where animated big tentpoles are usually more than great. That's why they win over lesser known animated films.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2016 at 3:00 AM, Jason said:

Another review for Your Name has been added to RT as of yesterday, average now at 8.6.

I know it's still early, but I actually think that Your Name is a more likely nominee than either Miss Hokusai or April. Making the usual statistical assumptions, there's only about an 8% chance of Your Name having a final rating that falls below 8.0. The assumption of a normal distribution is a bit questionable for films with high ratings, so the real chance will be at least slightly higher than that. But for perspective, the chance of a film with a Zootopia-like distribution of ratings to randomly have its first five rated reviews all with an equivalent rating of 8/10 or higher is only 15%.

RT score now at 9.0 average with 12 reviews ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

RT score now at 9.0 average with 12 reviews ;)

Yep, I've been tracking. Feeling even better about its nomination chances, but I'll wait a bit longer before changing the ranking in my prediction. Waiting for more reviews for Moana as well.

Funimation really needs to announce a North American release already (not just in LA), I want to see it.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Yep, I've been tracking. Feeling even better about its nomination chances, but I'll wait a bit longer before changing the ranking in my prediction. Waiting for more reviews for Moana as well.

Funimation really needs to announce a North American release already (not just in LA), I want to see it.

And there's me going again on Saturday, and Thursday next week :)

• Like 2