BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production

Kubo and the Two Strings – LAIKA – Kubo: Art Parkinson Character: Kubo
Moana – Walt Disney Animation Studios – Voice Actress: Auli’i Cravalho Character: Moana
STORKS – Warner Animation Group – Voice of Tulip : Katie Crown Character: Tulip
Trolls – DreamWorks Animation – Cast: Zooey Deschanel Character: Bridget
Zootopia – Walt Disney Animation Studios – Voice Actor: Jason Bateman Character: Nick Wilde

Nice, that was probably my favorite bit of voice acting in the film. Though these are all ready good choices, even Storks.

Also kind of surprised there's no best "Song for a Animated Motion Picture" category.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, BirdMan said:

I fail to see what is so special about that movie ? I thought it was good but mainstream and very predictable 

It's stop motion. That pretty much guarantees an Oscar nom. 

But it's also really good. Laika has some offbeat storytelling choices that sets their films apart from the mainstream. It's refreshing to see that. 

• Like 2

Kubo and the Two Strings won the 2016 National Board of Review Award for Best Animated Film. Pretty nice.

Times when the NBR winner did not also win the Oscar:

2005: Corpse Bride lost to Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

2006: Cars lost to Happy Feet

2012: Wreck-It Ralph lost to Brave

2013: The Wind Rises lost to Frozen

2014: How to Train Your Dragon 2 lost to Big Hero 6

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Kubo and the Two Strings won the 2016 National Board of Review Award for Best Animated Film. Pretty nice.

Only times when the NBR winner did not also win the Oscar:

3 out of 4 of those times, a Disney-distributed movie won the Oscar.

So Kubo loses to Zootopia.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Only times when the NBR winner did not also win the Oscar:

3 out of 4 of those times, a Disney-distributed movie won the Oscar.

In 2005 Corpse Bride lost to Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

Notably, 2006 and 2012-2014 represent four of the six years where there hasn't been a statistically significant leader in RT average rating (among animated films).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slambros said:

I still think The Wind Rises should have won that year.

TWR is one of Miyazaki's weakest films. It's beautiful and very well made, but he's done considerably better multiple times. And he'd already won with Spirited Away, so it's not like they could have done a "career award". The only real argument for it is it was his retirement piece. (Although he's making noise about doing a new feature, so, perhaps not.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, slambros said:

I still think The Wind Rises should have won that year.

14 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

TWR is one of Miyazaki's weakest films. It's beautiful and very well made, but he's done considerably better multiple times. And he'd already won with Spirited Away, so it's not like they could have done a "career award". The only real argument for it is it was his retirement piece. (Although he's making noise about doing a new feature, so, perhaps not.)

and it also had some political controversies around it regarding its amoral depiction of WW2 war machines. http://www.villagevoice.com/film/the-trouble-with-the-wind-rises-6440390

TWR is one of Miyazaki's weakest films. It's beautiful and very well made, but he's done considerably better multiple times. And he'd already won with Spirited Away, so it's not like they could have done a "career award". The only real argument for it is it was his retirement piece. (Although he's making noise about doing a new feature, so, perhaps not.)

Miyazaki won his Honorary Oscar just a year later which was basically his "career award". Did people forget Honorary Oscars existed or something? Besides he already won a competative Oscar with SA.

Thank god they didn't award TWR just because it was his final film. I thought TWR was good, but Frozen was always going to win it because nothing was going to stop that hype train.

On 11/28/2016 at 9:34 AM, Spaghetti said:

Kubo

Moana

Red Turtle

Zucchini

Zootopia

Feel 95% sure about this.

I'm not sure Zucchini can get a nom for animated feature. It's being pushed as the Swiss entry for Best Foreign Language Film, and I think (though please, someone confirm) that it's a one or the other proposition.

• Like 1