CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

14 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not saying add a bunch of anything, necessarily... it's that the studios have decided their best way to make as much money as possible is to make fewer movies but have them mostly be giant tentpoles updated from pre-existing IP. Other types of movies have essentially migrated to TV, but there's a hole where mid-budget movies aimed at adult audiences with adult themes used to be.

Although we still see plenty of movies aimed at adults making plenty of money when everything comes together. For example, both American Sniper and The Revenant, both R rated films about topics that were either controversial and/or off-putting, were big blockbusters even by modern day Oscar contender standards.

Just now, filmlover said:

Although we still see plenty of movies aimed at adults making plenty of money when everything comes together. For example, both American Sniper and The Revenant, both R rated films about topics that were either controversial and/or off-putting, were big blockbusters even by modern day Oscar contender standards.

American Sniper was an anomaly, I don't think even Warner Bros thought it would do that well. The Revenant had DiCaprio and he's proven a draw for films with more adult material to do well e.g. Wolf of Wall Street, I do think The Revenant's high budget was a huge concern for Fox but thankfully it turned out well for them.

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not saying add a bunch of anything, necessarily... it's that the studios have decided their best way to make as much money as possible is to make fewer movies but have them mostly be giant tentpoles updated from pre-existing IP. Other types of movies have essentially migrated to TV, but there's a hole where mid-budget movies aimed at adult audiences with adult themes used to be.

Yeah, I empathize but I'm not sure it was avoidable.

Do you, at least, think tv has gotten better. There lots of quality entertainment aimed at adults on tv IMO.

2 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

What has that been?  Being whiny bitches?  Oh my god, people don't like and have made of a film I'm a fan of.  The horror. 

I kinda feel bad for DC fans because clearly they want to see these characters on the big screen and have to settle for movies that have been, at best, divisive. Like earlier I stumbled upon someone in the comments section of a movie news website saying the movie is great and that critics suck and posting like three or four articles about why the critics are wrong. Newsflash: when you have to resort to such cheap tactics to back up you're opinion and convince yourself you're right, it only means that you're aware the movie in question isn't very good.

Just now, filmlover said:

I kinda feel bad for DC fans because clearly they want to see these characters on the big screen and have to settle for movies that have been, at best, divisive. Like earlier I stumbled upon someone in the comments section of a movie news website saying the movie is great and that critics suck and posting like three or four articles about why the critics are wrong. Newsflash: when you have to resort to such cheap tactics to back up you're opinion and convince yourself you're right, it only means that you're aware the movie in question isn't very good.

Mmm-hmm :sadben:

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I don't even care about the film.  I haven't seen it any won't see it because I haven't enjoyed anything that Snyder has directed, hated Man of Steel and my friends who I trust didn't like the film.  But acting like you have somehow been wronged because people didn't like your film or that you "have been put through" something is hilarious to me (not you, the guy I was responding to originally). 

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sure, every year there are examples, proving there's an audience willing to see these movies. Problem is, although they're often profitable, they aren't profitable enough. Studios would rather risk 350m (production+marketing) for the chance to hit 1b instead of spending 85m (production+marketing) for the chance at 150-200m.

(REVENANT actually falls sort of into its own category, since it was so ridiculously expensive it can't really be considered "mid-budget" anymore). But GONE GIRLS is a great example, and one that's rare -- it was actually developed and produced by one of the major studios, instead of being made independently and acquired by one of the arthouse distribution divisions (which is where most of these Oscar-potential fall movies turn up).

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, every year there are examples, proving there's an audience willing to see these movies. Problem is, although they're often profitable, they aren't profitable enough. Studios would rather risk 350m (production+marketing) for the chance to hit 1b instead of spending 85m (production+marketing) for the chance at 150-200m.

(REVENANT actually falls sort of into its own category, since it was so ridiculously expensive it can't really be considered "mid-budget" anymore). But GONE GIRLS is a great example, and one that's rare -- it was actually developed and produced by one of the major studios, instead of being made independently and acquired by one of the arthouse distribution divisions (which is where most of these Oscar-potential fall movies turn up).

Gone Girl was also a David Fincher film and he's notorious for going overbudget (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ended up costing much, more than it originally was supposed to, and even $40M for a mostly college-set drama starring young actors who were either not box office draws or unknowns at the time seems a bit on the excessive side), so if it was made by almost anyone else it probably would've cost $35M at the absolute most.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

And you know this how?

Precedence. Prior blockbusters with huge openings. Prior blockbusters with huge previews. Prior blockbusters who opened on Easter weekend.

I mean, practically nothing is absolutely impossible, but a 58%+ drop -- at minimum -- seems assured.

(Test it yourself, run some numbers for the week. See what it would have to do in order to drop 55% or less.)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

One of your ancestors must be made of glass because I see right through this shtick.