CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Who saw that coming in January or even February? 

Actually I guessed it could happen but I never post my bold predictions lol. I always thought both this and Deadpool would be break out hits.

I figured BvS would open huge (there was never any doubt there) but the movie itself would not be as good as people thought. Jungle Book on the other hand was gaining in hype all the way back to the Expo when Disney previewed footage. Then the trailer hit and I knew it could be something special.

I had a feeling that JB could end up being the big movie before the summer season truly kicked off but the reviews had to be good. And I figured they would be with Favreau on board (he even made Zathura work!) but they came in way better then expected making this a must see event.

Luckily Civil War didn't steal it's thunder with all the glowing responses from fan screenings for casual audiences. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Actually I guessed it could happen but I never post my bold predictions lol. I always thought both this and Deadpool would be break out hits.

I figured BvS would open huge (there was never in doubt there) but not be as good as people thought. Jungle Book on the other hand was gaining in hype all the way back to the Expo when Disney previewed footage. Then the trailer hit and I knew it could be something special.

I had a feeling that JB could end up being the big movie before the summer season truly kicked off but the reviews had to be good. And I figured they would be with Favreau on board (he even made Zathura work!) but they came in way better then expected making this a must see event.

Luckily Civil War didn't steal it's thunder with all the glowing responses from fan screenings for casual audiences. 

I was expecting a healthy  $65 million OW for this film after the trailer. That's around what I stupidly predicted in the derby. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Who saw that coming in January or even February? 

Well no one knew what BvS would end up being like.

A profound and challenging art movie, not created to make money.

:jeb!:

Edited by TommyA10
  • Like 3

• Community Manager
Just now, TommyA10 said:

Well no one knew what BvS will end up being like.

A profound and challenging art movie, not created to make money.

:jeb!:

My post is meant to celebrate Jungle Book's phenomenal opening weekend and nothing else. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Told ya they're really trying to tap into the drag queen marketing. Know your audience.

lol remember when Disney hired a Maleficent drag queen for the premiere and Angelina posed with it and you could see her trying everything she could not to burst into laughter in all of the pics?

angelina_jolie_0_1401450115.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I was expecting a healthy  $65 million OW for this film after the trailer. That's around what I stupidly predicted in the derby. 

lol I wouldn't say it's stupid. I wouldn't have predicted a huge opening for this outside of the 80s either but I can see why it's doing it. People (especially) families don't ignore 95% blockbusters on RT. Some people like to say that critics don't mean anything but time and time again it's proven that great reviews mean a lot.

I thought this movie would open big (not 95 or 100) but it's box office story would be about it's legs after the initial word got out. There's no rush factor to see it unlike something like TFA or BvS or Civil War but apparently people are going anyway which means it has to have amazing WOM.

It was in my top 10 most anticipated back in January too. I had a feeling it would be good because of JF.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 4

• Community Manager
13 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

lol I wouldn't say it's stupid. I wouldn't have predicted a huge opening for this outside of the 80s either but I can see why it's doing it. People (especially) families don't ignore 95% blockbusters on RT. Some people like to say that critics don't mean anything but time and time again it's proven that great reviews mean a lot.

I thought this movie would open big (not 95 or 100) but it's box office story would be about it's legs after the initial word got out. There's no rush factor to see it unlike something like TFA or BvS or Civil War but apparently people are going anyway which means it has to have amazing WOM.

It was in my top 10 most anticipated back in January too. I had a feeling it would be good because of JF.

Good reviews helped I think but it did have a top rate marketing campaign. I went from not being interested to being there on OW with the first trailer alone. The marketing didn't make this a kid's movie but one for everyone.  It also looked better than Cinderella or Maleficient ever did. 

• Like 1