CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People saying this was sold as a Cap movie are hilarious. This would never open with 180M if it were a Cap movie. This was sold as an Avengers movie. I saw a TV spot similar to the ones they do to the Avengers movies mentioning all the heroes. 

Besides, this is a great opening. Avengers 3 will open with 190M.

I don't think it will go that high. It would be the 4th film in the Avengers series. I'm thinking 170-175m-ish. Which is great anyway.

1 minute ago, mredman said:

Just one huge mishap in your chart there. Civil War is an AVENGERS MOVIE!

If you have actually seen the movie (which it seems you claim you have after saying a few weeks ago you were going to boycott), you would know this is a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie with the usual suspects (Black Widow, Falcon, Bucky Barnes) from previous Capt. American movies, a couple of scenes with Scarlet Witch/Vision and then extended cameos thrown in for an airport fight.  It isn't an Avengers movie.   

The Avengers, last time I checked, included Thor/Hulk and even in a lot of was Nick Fury.  Hope this helps you.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ecstasy said:

I'm not sure anyone said it was sold as a Cap movie. Don't know where this came from. But this narrative has taken on a life of its own.

Several people in the last few pages said this was a Cap movie to justify opening lower than Ultron lol.

• Like 4

These arguments are so petty. Simply put, it's another hugely successful MCU film alongside heavyweights Avengers, Ultron and Iron Man 3 that will easily clear $400M+ DOM and $1.2B+ WW. We'll see if Marvel Studios can keep their $1B+ WW streak alive next summer with Guardians Vol. 2. I'm thinking that one clears $1B+ as well.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People saying this was sold as a Cap movie are hilarious. This would never open with 180M if it were a Cap movie. This was sold as an Avengers movie. I saw a TV spot similar to the ones they do to the Avengers movies mentioning all the heroes. 

Besides, this is a great opening. Avengers 3 will open with 190M.

Avengers 4 will have the end of saga marketing will challenge TA imo.

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

If you have actually seen the movie (which it seems you claim you have after saying a few weeks ago you were going to boycott), you would know this is a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie with the usual suspects (Black Widow, Falcon, Bucky Barnes) from previous Capt. American movies, a couple of scenes with Scarlet Witch/Vision and then extended cameos thrown in for an airport fight.  It isn't an Avengers movie.   

The Avengers, last time I checked, included Thor/Hulk and even in a lot of was Nick Fury.  Hope this helps you.  

But they sold it as an Avengers movie. We are not talking about what the movie is. We are talking about how it was sold. I saw a TV spot mentioning all the heroes on this thing and another focusing on Spider-Man. This was sold as an Avengers movie and as consequence it is opening as an Avengers movie. 

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It was sold as a Thunderbolt Ross film. Which means we've gone from 135 million from TIH to 450 million with Civil War.

Hurt. His power.

There's still a chance for a Red Hulk movie with Hurt!:D

thaddeus_ross_-earth-616-_transformation

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Avengers 4 will have the end of saga marketing will challenge TA imo.

What end of saga? There will be like 6 other Marvel movies on schedule by the time that comes out.

Several people in the last few pages said this was a Cap movie to justify opening lower than Ultron lol.

It is a Captain American vs. Iron Man movie and was sold as such.  All of the advertising from the posters to commercials is built on Team Captain vs. Team Iron Man.  

Do I really need to start pulling images to see how plain as day this movie was sold?  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It was sold as a Thunderbolt Ross film. Which means we've gone from 135 million from TIH to 450 million with Civil War.

Hurt. His power.

This man knows it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BourneFan #1 said:

I wonder how Marvel will get people to see Infinity War Part 1? Have certain characters only in Part 1 and not Part 2? It seems every character from the MCU will be in Part 2 so, what's going to be special about Part 1?

Well, part of their plan is definitely re-titling it and nixing the "Part 1" aspect of the title. But, no doubt it will suffer from being the first half of a larger picture. Then, again, the entire MCU is incredibly episodic. So, might not hurt all that much. I'm thinking $400M+ DOM for Part 1 and $450M+ DOM for Part 2 if each is well received.

Just now, CJohn said:

What end of saga? There will be like 6 other Marvel movies on schedule by the time that comes out.

Last of the 4 Avengers movies. They will at least market it in that manner, irrespective of how accurate it is story-wise.

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

It is a Captain American vs. Iron Man movie and was sold as such.  All of the advertising from the posters to commercials is built on Team Captain vs. Team Iron Man.  

Do I really need to start pulling images to see how plain as day this movie was sold?  

I would like to send you the TV spot where they focus on Spider-Man or the one where they mention every hero in this thing but unfortunately they are on facebook.

Actually, here it is

• Like 2

But they sold it as an Avengers movie. We are not talking about what the movie is. We are talking about how it was sold. I saw a TV spot mentioning all the heroes on this thing and another focusing on Spider-Man. This was sold as an Avengers movie and as consequence it is opening as an Avengers movie. 

No, it was sold as a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie and that is why it is opening right in line with Iron Man 3 adjusted numbers and not Avengers numbers which were both higher.