CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

TASM's opening week was by far the most fun. By far the biggest clusterfuck in my lifetime on this forum.

Not for me though. Way too messy, lol.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

80% drop next weekend?

LOL Who knows? But we can probably make a good bet that this was the best weekend for it.

For Civil War, I figure it was going to be tough to pull a sub-30% drop on Sunday after jumping over 20% on Saturday from "true" Friday business. That was a bigger Saturday jump than IM3 and TA1. All in all, $178m is a great opening. Needs about a 2.58 multiplier to beat Ultron's domestic total. I think it has a pretty good shot.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Kindly tell Gitesh that he's a moron. This thing didn't even pass 19m, let alone 21m.

Yeah, you're right. THG:CF sold 19.4M tickets on OW and gross $158M. CA (with 3D) sold 21M tix and gross only $178M? :lol:

7TH UPDATE, Monday 7:48 AM: Sunday’s business turned out to be more female and family driven than expected, shaving some muscle off the opening of Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil Warbut keeping the threequel tough enough for the fifth best domestic opening all-time with $178M, ahead of Iron Man 3‘s $174.1M. “Still sensational,” exclaimed a non-Disney distribution chief. Disney was expecting $181.8M for Civil War, however the industry was expecting a slightly bigger weekend of $182.5M as of yesterday. This is according to competitive industry reports this morning. Disney will be providing their actual figures later today. Civil War was expected to reign in a $45.4M Sunday, down 26% from Saturday, but posted a $42.3M Sunday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

7TH UPDATE, Monday 7:48 AM: Sunday’s business turned out to be more female and family driven than expected, shaving some muscle off the opening of Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil Warbut keeping the threequel tough enough for the fifth best domestic opening all-time with $178M, ahead of Iron Man 3‘s $174.1M. “Still sensational,” exclaimed a non-Disney distribution chief. Disney was expecting $181.8M for Civil War, however the industry was expecting a slightly bigger weekend of $182.5M as of yesterday. This is according to competitive industry reports this morning. Disney will be providing their actual figures later today. Civil War was expected to reign in a $45.4M Sunday, down 26% from Saturday, but posted a $42.3M Sunday.

Still great though even if anti-climatic.

43 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Yeah it was anti-climactic.   Still Avengers was the best over performing weekend simply because it came out of nowhere. JW was very similar but Avengers did it first. Plus we had Nikki being ridiculous and it was also the first time rth gave us numbers for domestic opening weekend. 

Speaking of that... anybody knows where that Avengers week-end thread is?

I tried finding it in the numbers forum but, magically, only this week-end is missing in May 2012.

It's the stuff of legends, I NEED to see it :redcapes:

Edited by Daxtreme
missing a word -_-

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Last year's Ultron thread or the MJ1 thread are examples where early estimates led to hilarious meltdowns. We spent a good 12 hours last year thinking we were going to see the first ever 100M OD before the 85M estimate came in at 3am Saturday Pacific Time leading to Noctis basically gloating for the next 10 pages. The MJ1 thread is in a league of its own though.

I think my fave might be the CF one, but I'm biased since I went nuts with the title updates that weekend. We had crazy low numbers initially, so all the THG fans melted down, then the numbers swung back the other way and rebounded for the weekend, so all the Nolanites freaked out when it looked like it would pass TDK's OW. Then there was a late Sunday adjustment and CF fell underneath TDK. Plus, for added bonus, you had #Ed melting down over Peyton's horrible performance on Sunday Night Football.

• Like 4

Just now, Telemachos said:

I think my fave might be the CF one, but I'm biased since I went nuts with the title updates that weekend. We had crazy low numbers initially, so all the THG fans melted down, then the numbers swung back the other way and rebounded for the weekend, so all the Nolanites freaked out when it looked like it would pass TDK's OW. Then there was a late Sunday adjustment and CF fell underneath TDK. Plus, for added bonus, you had #Ed melting down over Peyton's horrible performance on Sunday Night Football.

Catching Fire weekend thread was legendary. So many twists and turns. Meltdowns in all directions, lol.

• Like 2