CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Not only is this a massive hit with a $180m+ opening, but it successfully introduced Black Panther and Spider-Man as well as made Ant-Man even more popular.  Not only does this smash the previous Captain America movies (opening weekend is bigger than entire gross of CA: First Avenger and will beat the hugely popular Winter Soldier by roughly $150m+), but it also gives a boost to those 3  characters individual movies.  

its budget is 80m higher, its good if doesn't diminish the returns of true Avengers films

With $180M OW, it needs a 2.55 multiplier to reach Ultron (39.2%). Very doable. Both Captain America movies had 2.7 multipliers. I don't know CW will reach that, because of its May release and huge opening, but then again, this could be the MCU movie with best WOM since The Avengers.

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Finding Nemo had a novelty factor, it was the most beautiful CGI movie of its time.

13 years on, we are bombarded with CGI everywhere in CGI movies, action-SCI Fi-Fantasy-Superhero blockbusters, video games, commercials , very different landscape.

There is a reason the Finding Dory trailers don't woah anybody.

The story has to be good. No ones going to that for the CGI. If they were The Good Dinosaur would have been a massive hit.

People are going to see the return of those characters and it's been hyped to hell for years much like The Incredibles 2.

The trailers don't look underwhelming because of the CGI but because of the story. But we saw how that turned out with Zootopia!

Just now, nilephelan said:

Get back to me when 2 or 3 of the biggest A list characters aren't missing from a movie.  

Right, Ant-Man (having a solo movie worth 180m dom - similar to Thor and much more than Hulk) and Spidey don't add anything :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, straggler said:

So around 180 million for Avengers 3. 

No, around $180m for a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie with a big airport fight that had some of the other characters thrown in.  Completely missing 2 of the starting 5 and the coach didn't show up either.  

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Movies with CA and IM both in leading roles:

207.4m

191.3m

~180m

Bwtter ter comparison since this was more an Avengers movie in the way it was marketed. A good opening still 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, straggler said:

So around 180 million for Avengers 3. 

no no no no.....180m just for CA. Just like Superman all by himself did 328m. Good growth over MOS :ph34r:

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Get back to me when 2 or 3 of the biggest A list characters aren't missing from a movie.  

Hell, there hasn't been a single MCU movie opening above $100M without RDJ.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For real. This site makes me feel as ancient as Tele.

Box Office has always been fascinating to me. Ever since Batman '89. The trends are pretty consistent over the last 20 years. It's weird, really. There might be a few brief moments of noticeable growth over a shorter window but those seem to be the small spike before the huge jump.

1997 The Lost World $72M

2001 HP: SS             $90M

2002 Spiderman       $115M

2006 POTC: DMC      $135M

2007 Spiderman 3     $151M

2008 TDK                 $158M (small spike)

2011 HP: DH2           $169M (small spike)

2012 The Avengers   $207M 

2015 JW                  $209M (small spike)

2015 SW: TFA          $248M

Disregarding the small spikes (which I attribute to the new normal phenomenon), it averages out to noticeable OW growth once every 3 years.

Edited by Intergalactic Ping Pong
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Finding Nemo had a novelty factor, it was the most beautiful CGI movie of its time.

13 years on, we are bombarded with CGI everywhere in CGI movies, action-SCI Fi-Fantasy-Superhero blockbusters, video games, commercials , very different landscape.

There is a reason the Finding Dory trailers don't woah anybody.

The opening 28 minutes wowed everyone at CinemaCon and it is as funny and more beautiful than before.  

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Right, Ant-Man (having a solo movie worth 180m dom - similar to Thor and much more than Hulk) and Spidey don't add anything :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous.  Hulk?  You mean the movie with Edward Norton?  

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

This is ridiculous.  Hulk?  You mean the movie with Edward Norton?  

You said CW is missing A-listers (compared to Avengers). Whom did you mean? Thor and Hulk?

So I am saying that Spidey and Ant-Man are good substitutes.

Ant-Man's dom bo is comparable to Thor and more than Hulk. How is that point ridiculous? Lol.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, a2knet said:

You said CW is missing A-listers (compared to Avengers). Whom did you mean? Thor and Hulk?

Ant Man A List?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Intergalactic Ping Pong said:

Box Office has always been fascinating to me. Ever since Batman '89. The trends are pretty consistent over the last 20 years. It's weird, really. There might be a few brief moments of noticeable growth over a shorter window but those seem to be the small spike before the huge jump.

1997 The Lost World $72M

2001 HP: SS             $90M

2002 Spiderman       $115M

2006 POTC: DMC      $135M

2007 Spiderman 3     $151M

2008 TDK                 $158M (small spike)

2011 HP: DH2           $169M (small spike)

2012 The Avengers   $207M 

2015 JW                  $209M (small spike)

2015 SW: TFA          $248M

I began following box office when The Lost World opened. Heh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Ant-Man's dom bo is comparable to Thor and more than Hulk. How is that point ridiculous? Lol.

Lol.  You aren't going to be taken seriously for even a second if you keep bringing up Hulk, a movie starring Ed Norton.  

If you are honestly trying to compare the A list status of Thor and Hulk to extended cameo appearances by Ant-Man and Spider-Man, then you really aren't going to be taken seriously.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Ant Man A List?

He considered Thor and Hulk A-List heroes missing from CW. So I countered that Ant-Man would fit the category too by their bo standards.

Edited by a2knet