CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Just now, ecstasy said:

The Force Awakens just really messed this box office thing up. Nothing is gonna be good enough.

Technically, Civil War is a box office phenomenon.

4 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

i'm really surprised Jungle Book dropped this much, weren't there double feature JB + CW showings?

Yes, but not nearly enough to offset the loss of all it's premium screens as well as some adult and family business.  Though I thought it would drop a little less hard - like low 40s%. 

Disney not scheduling it closer to BvS than CW probably cost it's B.O. WW a few 10s of millions.  No that they need to be crying poor. :P

Edited by TalismanRing

3 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

i'm really surprised Jungle Book dropped this much, weren't there double feature JB + CW showings?

Don't know didn't check. Rth didn't post so we really got nothing on the trends.

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Holy fuck Green Room bombed. The massive drop. The pitiful PTA. I thought it would be a mini breakout ($10m or so). 

Sad times at the box office. 

It's gonna get dropped from theaters before I get a chance to see it. All the times it is playing are super inconvenient, 10:30pm or later on a weeknight.

Edited by Jayhawk

13 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Oh MY GOSH 

Some of you guys are really going to be shocked. Imo 400 would be outstanding for Rogue One. 550 Is the floor? Oy Vey!

Okay, maybe I should've said $500M DOM. But, either way, baumer, I feel the goodwill for Star Wars is off the charts. Now, I'm banking this on word getting out that Vader will make an appearance in the movie too.

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

A lot of people here probably won't appreciate the BO success of Marvel until a decade from now. This is an absolutely ridiculous streak of hits, while doing something literally never done before in film.

Seriously. To all the wet blankets: take a seat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

A lot of people here probably won't appreciate the BO success of Marvel until a decade from now. This is an absolutely ridiculous streak of hits, while doing something literally never done before in film.

Four $1.2B+ WW films and, with Guardians Vol. 2 the upcoming Avengers films, likely 7 $1B+ WW films sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Projections based on weekend estimates.

Monday: $15.4M (-66.1%)

Tuesday: $14.2M (-8.09%)

Wednesday: $11.4M (-19.8%)

Thursday: $10.3M (-9.59%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $233M

Friday: $25.2M (+145%)

Saturday: $39M (+54.9%)

Sunday: $27.4M (-29.7%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $91.5M (-49.7%)

PROJECTED TOTAL DOMESTIC: $552M (3.03x)

57% drop from 181.8m is 78.1m.

61% drop is 70.9m.

70-78m is the range imo for 2nd weekend.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Four $1.2B+ WW films and, with Guardians Vol. 2 the upcoming Avengers films, likely 7 $1B+ WW films sooner rather than later.

Even Spider-Man can get $1b WW on his own. Well, at least with the help of RDJ.

• Like 1

Wow, what a disappointing weekend. I don't really get what went wrong, the marketing was phenomenal, the reviews were great , spider man was in it , I really can't explain it . Oh well at least the movie was great ....

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

Wow, what a disappointing weekend. I don't really get what went wrong, the marketing was phenomenal, the reviews were great , spider man was in it , I really can't explain it . Oh well at least the movie was great ....

People's expectations got the best of them. This is still a splendid opening. Now move along.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I think the stuff featuring Iron Man is sort of this decade's Harry Potter. Massive hits that rank high on the all time list, but since we get them every year, it just becomes expected.

Something like Zootopia will make hundreds of millions less, but it's more exciting because it came out of the blue and got to where it was on good WOM. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Diminishing returns, runaway expectations + mob mentality, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Passengers is gonna crush Rogue's legs, people.

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, I think Rogue One, Passengers and Sing will all thrive off of one another similar to I Am Legend/Alvin/National Treasure 2 in December 2007.

Rogue One - main draw/tentpole for Christmas/New Year's ($400-500 million)

Sing - alternative for families in wake of Rogue One sellouts ($150-200 million)

Passengers - alternative for adults in wake of Rogue One sellouts/crowd-pleasing Oscar contender (winning some technical Oscars) - ($125 million-$275 million)

I do think Assassin's Creed will stumble due to those three looking more appealing options for families and adults alike. Silence will be more of a leggy Oscar contender, so its Christmas/New Year's numbers don't have to be huge.

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

How is $182m "going wrong"? It is an AMAZING opening.