The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

7 hours ago, James said:

Baumer, seriously, your generation is crazy about the old SW movies and most young people today deem those unwatchable and for good reason. It's all a matter of opinion. Like, for me anyone who doesn't like HP is probably not human.

Tintin was one of only 3 animated movies on my list (the other 2 where Ratatouille and Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island). So yeah, Spielberg did a fine ass job. I just can't comprehend how you can like something like Frozen, but dislike Tintin.

I do believe that's bullshit. And no, I'm not American.

Anyways, Groundhog Day? Lovely. One of the best comedies, ever.

• Like 2

Number 31

Wall-E (2008)

53 Points (22 Votes, Avg Score 45.1364)

wall_e.jpg

"Eeeee... va?"

Top 10 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (20, -11), 2013 (19, -12), 2012 (47, +16)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 223.81m (267.45m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMdb Synopsis: In the distant future, humans abandon Earth because there is too much trash on it. WALL-E, with habit of picking up everything he finds interesting, lives alone on the planet with a pet cockroach. He has quite a collection of things, from lighters to a working iPod and even a small ring box (without the ring). He even has the last living plant. When a spaceship comes to earth and drops a sleek and dangerous probe EVE to look for a living plant, WALL-E falls in love with her. WALL-E gives her the plant, which makes EVE go into sleep mode. When a spaceship comes to take EVE back, WALL-E too goes with her. What follows is an adventure onboard the Axiom, where people move on hovering chairs and get liquid food which they suck up through a straw. Due to laziness, they have become so fat that they are unable to move. Due to hastily given instructions given to it, auto, the autopilot it tries to get rid of the plant which compels WALL-E, EVE, the pilot and some malfunctioning robots to find a way to retrieve the plant and save the earth.

Critic Opinion: "By rights, Wall-E shouldn’t be cute in the Bambi or Dumbo sense of the word: he’s battered and fading and the only noises he makes are computerised drawls not dissimilar to ET’s limited lingo. But Wall-E is alluring, and not because he’s got big eyes or dangling eyelashes but because he’s smart, hard-working, with a romantic side, and is hopelessly addicted to watching clips of Michael Crawford and Barbra Streisand in Gene Kelly’s ‘Hello Dolly!’ on a video screen. He’s everything we should have been if we hadn’t put all our energy into destroying the planet. 
But none of this is preachy or obvious. 

Environmental destruction is only the breathtaking backdrop to the film and it’s more the minimalism of Wall-E’s existence that fascinates. By the time a sleeker, feminine robot called Eve – who looks like an iPod shaped into a pepper-pot – arrives, we’re craving her company in sympathy with our mechanised friend. Pixar has done it again. I wonder a little what kids will make of the long silence of the first half followed by the disorienting mania of the second, but there’s nothing here that’s not wonderfully imagined and lovingly presented." - Dave Calhoun

User Opinion: "My first viewing of WALL-E was on a teeny production monitor, crappy low-quality resolution, unfinished animation in places, and temp music in spots. It still moved me to tears.
The first half is absolutely amazing and I'd put it up there with the very best science-fiction films ever. It's just a masterpiece of concise, visually-driven storytelling. The second half is a bit more pedestrian and conventional, but still wildly entertaining. And then, of course, the ending is an emotional knock-out, just perfectly executed." - Telemachos

Personal Comment: Pixar continues to sizzle on this countdown with their 7th movie to make the list, Wall-E.  Wall-E is also the 11th animation to make the countdown, and it is also the 13th movie from the 2000s decade to make the list.  Wall-E is one of Pixar's smaller films, but in a way it always manages to touch my heart.  The opening of the movie is a visual experience that is some of the best filmmaking Pixar has done in their time as a major movie studio.  While the second half of the film may never truly be able to match the outstanding opening half, it still manages to be a poignant sci-fi with much criticism over our current society and where it could potentially be headed.  My biggest admiration is that Wall-E manages to take the dystopia of those problems, and show that there is always some hope to fix what seems destroyed.

• Like 20

Its funny how people's opinions differ. I think The Incredibles is a work of genius, but I found Wall-E overlong and dull, and didn't even have it in my top 100.

• Like 2

I'm with Wrath lol but then again I never understood the circle jerk obsession with Wall-E (or Most Pixar for that Matter) but then I think UP is one of the best films ever and that has plenty of detractors so...

• Like 1

Groundhog Day is one of those films that you watch for the first time and think it's really really good.  You laugh your ass off and then when you put it away, you can't stop thinking about it.  Soon you realize it's unequivocally one of the best films of all time.  Harold Ramis was such a brilliant writer and of all the great films he wrote and or directed, this is his best, and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores Ghostbusters and Stripes.  

• Like 5

Just now, Baumer said:

WallE isn't quite my tempo.

But I'll move along here.

Good idea.

It seems at this point that even among the designated Pixar "greats" there's at least one that doesn't work for any given person. I've already said what mine is.

• Like 2

Number 30

Toy Story 3 (2010)

54 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 37.25)

toy_story_three_ver29.jpg

"Mi nave espacial? Encontraste? Excelente!"

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (13, -17), 2013 (33, +3), 2012 (67, +37)

Tomatometer: 99%

Box Office:  415m (447.89m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars, including a nomination for Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Woody, Buzz and the whole gang are back. As their owner Andy prepares to depart for college, his loyal toys find themselves in daycare where untamed tots with their sticky little fingers do not play nice. So, it's all for one and one for all as they join Barbie's counterpart Ken, a thespian hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants and a pink, strawberry-scented teddy bear called Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear to plan their great escape.

Critic Opinion: "It might seem at first glance that Toy Story 3 is merely riffing on the same aforementioned theme already nailed in Toy Story 2, including a montage that recalls the heartbreaking "When She Loved Me" sequence. In fact, Toy Story 3 is actually taking that concept—the risk and inherent pain in any intimate relationship—to an even more sophisticated level. As the final 20 minutes of the film play out, screenwriter Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine) spins us through the wrenching landmark moments when family members need to say their goodbyes, and feel the ache of transitions. What continues to astonish about the Pixar films is the way they manage to pair blissful entertainment with the miraculous experience of being human—and in Toy Story 3, that includes the wonderful, awful, vertiginous experience of sharing a home, a history and a heart." - Scott Renshaw

User Opinion: "Greatest animated movie of all-time! Love every second of this movie! Oh, and the end makes me cry every single time I watch it.

I would put it in my top 5 movies of all-time!" - Empire

Personal Comment: Pixar continues their streak on this list with their third movie in a row, as well as their 8th total movie to make the countdown, Toy Story 3.  Toy Story 3 is the 12th animated movie to make the list and it is also the 14th movie from the 2010s, keeping the decade in second place for our decades contest.  I may not personally love Toy Story 3 as much as everyone else, but it has cemented itself as an instant classic right after its release.  Toy Story 3 is a humorous escape story with heart and a tear-jerker ending.

• Like 15