WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

Just now, Blank Panther said:

Unless you're seeing like a super soft R. Always got carded at movies like Argo or American Hustle, but no one gave a shit at Looper or Neighbors haha

Neighbors they care about. Really, any restricted movie we care about, because if an audit comes or someone from the studio and someone is found in a movie than we could get into trouble.

was sporting around my new Ghostbusters shirt and saw my grandpa in the hospital today. He said "they're making another one of those in July, ahhh I might see it if I ever get out of here."

Then my uncle said they were all women and his face lit up and he was like "now I'm getting out of here and there's nothing those d*** nurses can do to stop me."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Neighbors they care about. Really, any restricted movie we care about, because if an audit comes or someone from the studio and someone is found in a movie than we could get into trouble.

Just saying that when I saw the first Neighbors, I was never carded haha. No idea about this new one.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

was sporting around my new Ghostbusters shirt and saw my grandpa in the hospital today. He said "they're making another one of those in July, ahhh I might see it if I ever get out of here."

Then my uncle said they were all women and his face lit up and he was like "now I'm getting out of here and there's nothing those d*** nurses can do to stop me."

I was really happy this weekend when I started training with my other day camp counselors, and everyone (male and female) either said they were excited for Ghostbusters or were unaware of its existence. Nice reprieve from the online attitude.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

Just saying that when I saw the first Neighbors, I was never carded haha. No idea about this new one.

I was really happy this weekend when I started training with my other day camp counselors, and everyone (male and female) either said they were excited for Ghostbusters or were unaware of its existence. Nice reprieve from the online attitude.

Online seems to be the only place I'm hearing hate for it yea. 

Take Star Trek, just an example my uncle who's a massive Trek fan saw the new trailer and said how blown away he was by how good it looked.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'd hesitate to call Ryan Gosling box office poison. He's never been interested in being a big movie star (he passed on a lot of blockbustery roles over the years and even turned down being named Sexiest Man Alive one year).

You can turn that down?

15 hours ago, Cochofles said:

How much more would The Nice Guys have made OW had it starred Leonardo Dicaprio and Ryan Gosling or Denzel Washington and Michael B. Jordan or Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Lawrence (The Nice Gals)? :)

Thanks, now I want a Washington/Jordan Shane Black movie

49 minutes ago, department store basement said:

The Jackass trilogy also increased OW, DOM and WW from movie to movie, but it doesn't fit Daxtreme's stupid criteria since Bad Grandpa is a spinoff.

I dropped it, no need to rub it in... You obviously need closure, so there it is: I was wrong, nobody cares in this thread anyway about my "stupid criteria", can we move on?

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

When don't they?

I'm sure "Civil War is being hurt by piracy" loons will be out in full force proclaiming movie theaters to be dead because people don't want to watch recycled product en masse (I honestly can't recall the last summer where the almost the entire slate could charitably be described as "Been There, Done That").

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

To expand on, and conclude, my earlier message, Captain America: Civil War is now part of the elite club of 3 franchises (3+ movies only) in which every installment grossed more than its predecessor in every major box office category -- opening week-end, total domestic gross, total worldwide gross.

They are:

- Toy Story

- Lord of the Rings

- Captain America

James Bond was close. Iron Man almostttt makes the list, but Iron Man 2 grossed like $6M less than Iron Man in total domestic gross.

Bourne makes the list if you count only the original trilogy, which could be viewed as separate, I guess, because Matt Damon isn't in the 4th movie.

If someone finds a 4th franchise, please let me know, I'll edit this message :ph34r:

ostin-pauers_17748177_orig_.jpeg

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=austinpowers.htm

edit: i also think it's fair to consider Damon Bourne as a trio separate from the 4th one as changing an established lead has a big impact.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Panda said:

I honestly think the bigger deal here is the fact that watching a Marvel movie now without seeing the others is like starting a TV show at season 6.  The people who didn't want to invest in the show before aren't about to now, and they aren't about to watch a movie that just looks confusing if you haven't seen the other movies.

I had a friend who watched CW without seeing Winter Soldier or Ultron and he said  it was good but he just felt lost because he didn't see those movies.  I'm reckoning GA who haven't watched Marvel before aren't about to now.

I however do think there's room to grow in the true solo movies that are more detached from the main Avengers storyline.  For example I think Spidey, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Guardians 2 all have room/potential to breakout beyond expectations (if marketed right and if they're good movies) because they're more accessible to people who don't go and watch every Marvel movie.

Like other have said, a shared universe is fun and all, but it's going to have diminishing returns because no one wants to sit through over 24 hours of Marvel movies in order to understand the next Avengers movie that had a cool looking trailer.

Great post Panda.  Long time lurker since the BOM days (even remember the epic Superman Returns prediction from Kal-El).... lol :)

Anyway,  one thing to consider is that the Civil War writers prior to the release mentioned that they were okay with losing the Marvel virgins with this particular movie:  http://screenrant.com/captain-america-civil-war-marvel-virgins/.   Marvel wasn't interested in giving too much of a back-story for the movie.  

I think the Cap trilogy had a very linear storytelling, which pretty much forced viewers to watch the previous movies with the many connections.  Hell, I haven't even brought my GF to see this movie because I haven't had the chance to watch the previous movies with her (she's never seen any of the movies).  

I do not think it's been a problem in general with Marvel movies.  You could skip Iron Man 2 and enjoy Iron Man 3.  A lot of people loved the Avengers without watching the previous movies.  With Phase 3 here, I do not think it will be much of a problem even with the reported changes with Thor, it looks like a movie that you could easily watch without going to see the others.  At the end, I think it's about the writing and how Marvel chooses to tell the story.   Let's see how it plays out.

As for Infinity War, I doubt Marvel would not include the GA (Marvel virgins).  It would be leaving $$$ on the table and I doubt they would be doing that especially with International moviegoers.  I think that's been the problem with Civil War, it was made for the fans and not much outside of that. Also, the movie lacked the epic large-scale action pieces and those " fuck yea" fist pump moments that the first Avengers had (With that it's still my favorite Marvel movie).   Civil War is a great Captain American sequel but would be a poor Avengers movie with the limited scope.

With that said, 400+ and 1 billion WW is a great result with Marvel knowingly limiting their own potential audience.

• Like 4

beating im3 is not a lock for infinity wars part 1 imo.

considering ca3 was marketed as half avengers i don' think ta3's ow will rise over it by much.

crossing 409m would take 182m ow/2.25x.

with aou doing 192/2.40x after ta's 207/3x, and ca3 doing 179/~2.3x, 182m/2.25x or slightly less is not unreasonable for infinity wars 1.

• Like 1