CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

19 minutes ago, Eric Foreman said:

It's so weird there's a whole angry chef subplot that's just there for silly slapstick, but I approve 100%.

These slapstick scenes exist in all the early Disney Princess films. Snow White had dwarf and forest critter hijinks, Cinderella literally takes a break in between movie to play what's basically a Tom & Jerry cartoon with Lucifer and the mice, and Sleeping Beauty has a scene with the two kings as well.

I assume they're put in there to amuse smaller kids, especially boys. In recent movies, the princesses have become dynamic enough that they can be part of the slapstick scenes so those sequences don't seem like such jarring detours.

Did get chills listening to this new version of Part of Your World, not better than the original, the American Idol style runs to show off aren't really my thing, but still great. it is the best disney song btw.

Halle sounds absolutely beautiful and can't wait to see/hear Melissa slay "Poor Unfortunate Souls." Glad to see that this is going to live up to the expectations of really allowing her to go all out with the role of Ursula since the live-action Renaissance Era remakes to date (with the possible exception of Luke Evans as Gaston) have mostly dulled the personalities of the villains.