CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

I remember 1989 very well.  "Little Mermaid" really got the Disney Renaissance rolling.  The Big 4 from the Renaissance was always "Little Mermaid, BATB, Aladdin and LK".   Well for the remakes, "Aladdin" made a billion.  "BATB" made 1.2 Billion and "TLK" made 1.6 Billion.    So though nothing is guaranteed.   I feel "Little Mermaid" with a holiday Launch should be able to boost itself to a Billion.    Now "Cinderella" made over 500 Million but "The Jungle Book" made over 900 Million.  Disney really has something going with these live action remakes.    Yes there's competition so we'll see how it does OW but again I feel at the very least hopefully can pass "Aladdin" numbers.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I remember 1989 very well.  "Little Mermaid" really got the Disney Renaissance rolling.  The Big 4 from the Renaissance was always "Little Mermaid, BATB, Aladdin and LK".   Well for the remakes, "Aladdin" made a billion.  "BATB" made 1.2 Billion and "TLK" made 1.6 Billion.    So though nothing is guaranteed.   I feel "Little Mermaid" with a holiday Launch should be able to boost itself to a Billion.    Now "Cinderella" made over 500 Million but "The Jungle Book" made over 900 Million.  Disney really has something going with these live action remakes.    Yes there's competition so we'll see how it does OW but again I feel at the very least hopefully can pass "Aladdin" numbers.  

There's no way TLM is making 1b with those OS numbers. Absolute best case scenario I can see in the 800 but lower feels likely.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

There's no way TLM is making 1b with those OS numbers. Absolute best case scenario I can see in the 800 but lower feels likely.

What's the overseas schedule looking like?  Is Disney opening this everywhere on Friday?  I've seen some tracking that had it definitely surpassing "Cinderella"  WW.    I was more focused on the fact "The Little Mermaid" is definitely in the "Big 4" so we'll see how it does.   I forgot how well "Maleficent" did.   750 Million WW was wild.  So I see "Little Mermaid" doing better domestically than both those two I guess like you said, the overseas will be the question. 

Edited by filmscholar

5 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

What's the overseas schedule looking like?  Is Disney opening this everywhere on Friday?  I've seen some tracking that had it definitely surpassing "Cinderella"  WW.    I was more focused on the fact "The Little Mermaid" is definitely in the "Big 4" so we'll see how it does.   I forgot how well "Maleficent" did.   750 Million WW was wild.  So I see "Little Mermaid" doing better domestically than both those two I guess like you said, the overseas will be the question. 

I believe only Japan is missing this week. That will be in 2 weeks.

TLM will smack Cinderella no question. That's pretty obvious. But 1b+ is out of reach from what I can see.

26 minutes ago, jedijake said:

In ALL Asian nations? I've given up on trying to figure out China, but what agenda would Japan and South Korea have against it?

Replying here so as to not derail the tracking thread.

Sorry, I should have clarified I meant China and South Korea as the main Asian markets opening this week. For those two, the comments are nearly identical. Outrage over the casting, Disney trying to be woke, etc. Remains to be seen if Japan will follow suit, but review bombing and brigading from netizens doesn't seem to be as prominent there.

26 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Replying here so as to not derail the tracking thread.

Sorry, I should have clarified I meant China and South Korea as the main Asian markets opening this week. For those two, the comments are nearly identical. Outrage over the casting, Disney trying to be woke, etc. Remains to be seen if Japan will follow suit, but review bombing and brigading from netizens doesn't seem to be as prominent there.

Worse than what we've seen here in the US with "those" groups?

3 hours ago, cookie said:

Jungle Book

Aladdin

Maleficent

Cruella

Beauty & the Beast

The Lion King

Alice in Wonderland

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Pinocchio

Mulan

Haven’t seen Cinderella

Aladdin

big gap

Cinderella

huge gap 

Maleficent 2 (mildly enjoyable despite being very unnecessary)  

Jungle Book (don’t get the praise at all except Mogly kid did a good job acting alone)

Alice in Wonderland

Maleficent 

Beauty and the Beast

Dumbo

garbage 

Mulan

Alice 2

The Lion King 

Havent seen Pinocchio or Cruella. Completely forgot about Cruella. Ultimately, all were a waste of time to me besides those first two. Who knows why I keep watching them lol. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Could the domestic gross for The Little Mermaid be higher than the Overseas one at the end of its run? I still have the hope that the legs are amazing internationally like Aladdin but it is not looking good, particularly in Asia. I really wanted this to succeed in a big way so racists can shut their mouth.

Edit: Just saw the rankings and felt like doing one as well

1. Aladdin

2. The Jungle Book 

3. Cinderella

4. Maleficent

5. Beauty and the Beast 

6. Cruella

7. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

8. The Lion King

9. Alice in Wonderland

10. Dumbo

11. Mulan (If they had adapted the original with the original songs this would definitely be in my TOP3)

12. Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 3

I think Aladdin's only real good point was Smith tbh. He knocked it out of the park but even so I preferred the original rendition on that because Genie is a character that just works better in that format. But I thought Smith's Genie was about as good an LA rendition of the character could be.

Other than that I didn't care for anything. Jafar in particular sucked. Most of the added stuff wasn't good at all. When Jasmine starts singing as she's being taken away I was just laughing at how random the whole thing was.

Edited by JustLurking

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I think Aladdin's only real good point was Smith tbh. He knocked it out of the park but even so I preferred the original rendition on that because Genie is a character that just works better in that format. But I thought Smith's Genie was about as good an LA rendition of the character could be.

Other than that I didn't care for anything. Jafar in particular sucked. Most of the added stuff wasn't good at all. When Jasmine starts singing as she's being taken away I was just laughing at how random the whole thing was.

I don't think any remake or adaptation has been above the original except maybe Cruella, but I am not a fan of 101 Dalmatians in the first place and Cruella is a completely different story. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The fact that Aladdin is rotten while Mulan is fresh is baffling to me. They aren’t even CLOSE in terms of quality.

Critics probably walloped Aladdin thinking TLK would be the superior live action remake of 2019 more deserving of a fresh.

And then they watched the TLK remake. 😅

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Worse than what we've seen here in the US with "those" groups?

It feels worse to me for a few reasons. The complaints from those groups in the U.S. are mainly political and targeted at Disney's wokeness, but in China and South Korea many are attacking Halle directly. Secondly, in the U.S. the negative comments are at least drowned out by a much larger base of people supporting the movie. The negativity feels much louder online in China and South Korea.

11 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I don't think any remake or adaptation has been above the original except maybe Cruella, but I am not a fan of 101 Dalmatians in the first place and Cruella is a completely different story. 

Cinderella would have been superior for me if they included the musical numbers. I liked the added depth they gave Tremaine and Prince Charming.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

It feels worse to me for a few reasons. The complaints from those groups in the U.S. are mainly political and targeted at Disney's wokeness, but in China and South Korea many are attacking Halle directly. Secondly, in the U.S. the negative comments are at least drowned out by a much larger base of people supporting the movie. The negativity feels much louder online in China and South Korea.

US racists are white supremacists. Asian racists* are walking talking studies of inferiority complexes who project their self-hate on other non-white races to feel better about themselves, hoping they are second best to the whites. It's actually a far sadder, more pathetic situation.

*Emphasis on Asian racists like those attacking minority actors like Halle, not a generalization of all Asian people ofc. And also the last thing I'll say on this subject coz it's icky but someone needed to say it out loud. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

US racists are white supremacists. Asian racists* are walking talking studies of inferiority complexes who project their self-hate on other non-white races to feel better about themselves, hoping they are second best to the whites. It's actually a far sadder, more pathetic situation.

*Emphasis on Asian racists like those attacking minority actors like Halle, not a generalization of all Asian people ofc. And also the last thing I'll say on this subject coz it's icky but someone needed to say it out loud. 

We should remember that Asian people in Asian countries aren't a minority. So, this idea that they feel inferiority complex to white people doesn't feel right.

Chinese in China or South Koreans in South Korea attacking actors like Halle aren't a minority attacking another minority. They're part of the majority in pretty homogenous countries.

PS: I should mention that fair skin is a too popular beauty canon in Asian countries. It's also pretty old and unrelated to white people.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

I would honestly rank live action Aladdin over animated if Jafar actor dude wasn’t so cringe and bad in all his scenes. Absolutely floored by that movie, remains my biggest shock of the past decade. Thought I would loathe it and was basically dragged against my will to it, and ended up loving it.

I like Aladdin and Jasmine’s characters in the live action better, and to my shock, Smith’s genie isn’t that far behind Robin’s for me. The climax is much better than the animated as well. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

That makes me very disappointed in South Korea if true. China-I have no idea what to think, but I expect better from SK.

As for comparing the live actions to animated, I'd say this. ALL the live actions are better live action movies than the animated movies. Likewise, ALL the animated movies are better animated movies than the live action movies.🥴

Edited by jedijake