CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Wrong. It's projected 120 Million domestic.

I repeat; The act is getting old.

I mean, 120 Million domestic is good, but I always expected more from the Little Mermaid.

Beauty and the Beast opening weekend was 170 Million domestic (it has 357 Million WorldWide opening weekend).

Maybe my expectatives for the Little Mermaid were too big. The animated movie doesn't have a big box office compared to Beauty and the Beast either.

Edited by Kon

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Wrong. It's projected 120 Million domestic.

I repeat; The act is getting old.

He meant overseas OW is projected to be very soft relative to Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin which had very recognizable name internationally. Dont have to react for everything. Just put him on ignore if you find his posts annoying. 

4 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

What’s the budget of this? 

It has a 250 Million budget.

If the movie has good legs in the domestic, it shouldn't be an issue to be succesful.

17 minutes ago, Kon said:

I mean, 120 Million domestic is good, but I always expected more from the Little Mermaid.

Beauty and the Beast opening weekend was 170 Million domestic (it has 357 Million WorldWide opening weekend).

Maybe my expectatives for the Little Mermaid were too big. The animated movie doesn't have a big box office compared to Beauty and the Beast either.

120 today is like 180 Million pre 2020.

Theater attendeance has taken a huge hit; biggest since the coming of TV in the late 1940s.

The 180 to 200 Million openings are going to be few and far between. It's the n ew reality:Streaming has made huge cuts into ticket sales.

2 hours ago, TMP said:

I wanna know if people are actually fans of him as a director, or if they just love the properties he adapts so much they're willing to overcome his shortcomings as a film-maker. He kind of stopped trying to be a serious film-maker at all after his Day-Lewis nine mega-bombed

I don't think he's established enough as an actual name people would be familiar with even though he directed a Best Picture winner. All three (well, about to be four) of his Disney movies would've done well at the box office regardless of who directed them.

2 hours ago, TMP said:

I wanna know if people are actually fans of him as a director, or if they just love the properties he adapts so much they're willing to overcome his shortcomings as a film-maker. He kind of stopped trying to be a serious film-maker at all after his Day-Lewis nine mega-bombed

He's definitely flawed, but I do think he does well when it comes to giving strong acting performances, which does a lot, and his films are generally well-paced and have enough fun sequences that make me smile. I get the hate, but I think he's alright. He does the job for me.

It's gonna have a massive OW. Maybe Disney's best ever Memorial weekend opening, #2 best of all time after TGM. Its legs won't be super pretty though, WoM will be mixed. Spidey and Flash will be huge as well and Elemental not far away either.  

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

120 today is like 180 Million pre 2020.

Theater attendeance has taken a huge hit; biggest since the coming of TV in the late 1940s.

The 180 to 200 Million openings are going to be few and far between. It's the n ew reality:Streaming has made huge cuts into ticket sales.

I don’t know about 120 being the new 180. Sure we’ve had big attendance drops, but a huge inflation increase too. I think it balances out as far as gross. Otherwise we wouldn’t be having several of the massive juggernaut grossers we’ve had since covid. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It's gonna have a massive OW. Maybe Disney's best ever Memorial weekend opening, #2 best of all time after TGM. Its legs won't be super pretty though, WoM will be mixed. Spidey and Flash will be huge as well and Elemental not far away either.  

Just saw it at a sold out screening of at least 200 people, left detailed feedback in the audience reaction thread, but Im 90% sure WOM in the USA will be great for this.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:29 AM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

This will do well in North America and flop internationally. Both sides will argue over the results and claim success/flop to fit their own agendas.

Disney will proclaim the movie as a triumph based on the USA performance and ignore the flop elsewhere.

Americans SJW will feel satisfied  and fakely act like Halle Bailey is Meryl's streep's and Whitney Houston's love child, while Europeans skeptics will be critical of her and bash the movie. The real effect of this movie controversies will be seen on Snow White's performance which IMHO will flop everywhere, USA included...but that is another story.

I'm quoting myself here just because I love playing the "Cassandra" role. The international datas so far vary from bad (Italy, France, Mexico) to straight up disaster (China, Korea). Domestic is as good as expected (by me, at least) but nothing groundbreaking (unless we assume that Aladdin is the absolute high ceiling for the Disney live actions  Dom B.O. prospects, which we all know isn't the case).

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

Japan

OS Reviews are filtering here

2.3/5.0 (43 ratings)

Spoiler

One review

観てから評価して!

皆さままだ観てもいないのに叩きすぎではありませぬか?上映が始まってたくさんの評価を受けてからでも遅くありません。また、人種差別や白人至上主義者のまだまだ多数のアメリカでは画期的、歴史的上映かと私は思いますし、綺麗な人魚姫が観たいって、綺麗じゃないみたいで差別的て失礼ですよね。私は観る人が楽しめれば良いかと思いますし、差別的な扱いするよりもアンデルセンの原作に基づいた儚く哀しい、最後に空気の精になった人魚姫が王子様に一言だけ囁く、そのストーリー仕立てを期待します。

とにかく観てから評価しましょう!

Watch and rate!

You haven't seen it yet, but aren't you hitting it too hard? It's not too late even after the screening has started and it has received a lot of praise. Also, in America where there are still many racists and white supremacists, I think it's an epoch-making and historical screening, and if you want to see a beautiful mermaid princess, it doesn't look beautiful, so it's discriminatory and rude. right. I think it would be nice if the viewers could enjoy it, and rather than treating it discriminatively, the story is based on Andersen's original work, and is based on Andersen's original story. Expect tailoring.

Just watch it and rate it!