CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

but... it's not an original movie? So what's the point of this comment lol.

It will be "original" for those who have not seen the animated one. I'm curious how those will react to the movie

Edited by Maggie

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It will be "original" for those who have not seen the animated one. I'm curios how those will react to the movie

LOL. That is not how it works. Anyway I think majority of the audience of this movie would have seen TLM animated. it was one of the biggest HV seller back in 1990. 

he Little Mermaid became that year's top-selling title on home video, with over 10 million units sold (including 7 million in its first month) and 13 million units by October 1993.[42][43] The home video release, along with box office and merchandise sales, contributed to The Little Mermaid generating a total revenue of $1 billion.

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

LOL. That is not how it works. Anyway I think majority of the audience of this movie would have seen TLM animated. it was one of the biggest HV seller back in 1990. 

I've honestly have never seen Little Mermaid and never heard on Black Panther before the movie.... 

issa-rae-rooting-for-everyone-black.gif

Lol that's honestly how many black audiences are when these types of films come out. Not saying that all black people haven't seen it but for a lot of us it's more so about supporting black cinema.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think there's still going to be significant portion of kids that grew up on stuff like Frozen and Moana going to see this that haven't seen the animated film for one reason or another, so for them this remake is going to be their first exposure to The Little Mermaid (although I'm sure plenty are still going to see the animated film).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

lol they really are trying to hide Ariel's skin tone with that poster. Disappointing but can't expect Disney to have any balls.

Idk why they are even trying to get it released in China. Creed wasn't released there. Might as well just give up at that point.

• Sad 1

Super weird how SK is the country where Disney has made the most efforts to promote this in Asia despite their beauty standards being incredibly Euro-centric.

I thought South East Asia and South Asia might have been better markets considering they have more diverse skin tones + some very ocean centric cultures.

China is a very racist country and I say this as a Chinese myself. The hatred toward this film on Chinese social media is unimaginable and very upsetting. I really want this film to succeed commercially and make these racist haters miserable.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nydedan said:

China is a very racist country and I say this as a Chinese myself. The hatred toward this film on Chinese social media is unimaginable and very upsetting. I really want this film to succeed commercially and make these racist haters miserable.

yeah ! this movie won't do much in Asia ! maybe sk, Indonesia would do decent but that's the only reason i think 1b$ is impossible for this one ! domestic nd western markets must be strong ! hope it does 750m$+

• Like 1

4 hours ago, froztking said:

yeah ! this movie won't do much in Asia ! maybe sk, Indonesia would do decent but that's the only reason i think 1b$ is impossible for this one ! domestic nd western markets must be strong ! hope it does 750m$+

Edited by jedijake

18 minutes ago, jedijake said:

So are they just flat out in-your-face racist against Blacks?

Lol, if something is not working here it's not because of racism - Black Panther/MIB all did numbers. So, what all do you expect just makes millions of dollars for content for which people aren't interested. 

Even, if I talk about myself I haven't heard anything about Mermaid unless I have seen PS in China. 

Please take back this racism comment. Our Titles also don't makes $100M outside Asia (neither in Europe nor in America) - could have used that same comment against you all - "Are American racist they don't watch our titles" 

Even, if I asked much of you about our Asian Film none of you will be able to give a clear answer.

Eee, what a thought that you all could have if certain film doesn't work in certain region 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Lol, if something is not working here it's not because of racism - Black Panther/MIB all did numbers. So, what all do you expect just makes millions of dollars for content for which people aren't interested. 

Even, if I talk about myself I haven't heard anything about Mermaid unless I have seen PS in China. 

Please take back this racism comment. Our Titles also don't makes $100M outside Asia (neither in Europe nor in America) - could have used that same comment against you all - "Are American racist they don't watch our titles" 

Even, if I asked much of you about our Asian Film none of you will be able to give a clear answer.

Eee, what a thought that you all could have if certain film doesn't work in certain region 

Okay, I am just trying to learn and figure out why there is such a turn off against TLM in some places. Why Aladdin excelled where TLM is failing. Believe me, I don't want to think that any country is racist.

• Like 1

as a Chinese and an active user of TNABO, China's equivalent of the Box Office Theory forum, I know better than anyone why there's distinct racism behind the hatred toward The Little Mermaid. People have been seizing every chance possible to say nasty things about basically everything about this movie since the casting was announced 4 years ago and most of the hate is directed toward Halle Bailey herself. Here's a screenshot of one of the posts on TNABO, whose users are already more "progressive" and "Western-leaning" than the general public of China. And I will post the translation in the spoiler because those comments are really upsetting even if I try to tone it down in translation. And you can tell me whether it's racism or not after you've read them.

VAqWdIQL.jpg

yR0VHQjM.jpg

Spoiler

from top to bottom:

"Even if it is well-made, the fact that it is a fruit of the nasty political correctness and has twisted the iconic image (of Ariel) has made it unable to surpass the original animated movie"

"I don't want to see this ugly f**k"

"Even if a dish is good, will you still try it once it's got some sh*t on it?"

"I will give it a bad review as long as she is in it"

"I don't care about the word of mouth because the actors just don't work. This is not about acting. I have no problem with casting a black actress but why did you have to cast such an ugly one?"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1