CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

17 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Did 1994's The Jungle Book officially start the Disney live-action trend? 

Or was it Hook? Although I think although Peter Pan was a Disney film I think a different studio may have distributed Hook

If it can stay in this range on RT, it’s a big win critically. Remember, Cinderella and Jungle Book are the only fresh live action remakes. And Jungle Book got rose colored glasses for its groundbreaking VFX at the time (which is something that’s hurting this movie if anything). 

9 hours ago, jedijake said:

Can RT prevent review bombing with audiences, even with the verified statuses?

RT can't stop "wildly unrepresentative demographic reviewing" which you can see a decent amount. That's why Strange World's score is a super-duper-insanely terrible 66% positive. RT's reviews biggest problems is that it's going to grab adult opinions at the expense of 10 year old's thoughts. 

Nothing especially surprising about the reviews (you know what you're getting with these remakes and if not...well, it's not like the original will be erased from existence) but Halle getting universal praise is something where you can't help but love to see it.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Did 1994's The Jungle Book officially start the Disney live-action trend? 

Given the 1994 Jungle Book  barely broke even at the box office,no

And it was NOT a remake of the animated film like the 2014 film was, but a non musical new version of the kipling story.

Thought I think that live action remake of anaimted movies did not take off big time until "Beauty and Beast" in 2017.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, joselowe said:

Or was it Hook? Although I think although Peter Pan was a Disney film I think a different studio may have distributed Hook

Hook was released by a non Disney studio. The charecter is in the public domain.

And. once again, Hook was NOT a remake of an animated film. It was a spin off story of the original.

38 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

RT can't stop "wildly unrepresentative demographic reviewing" which you can see a decent amount. That's why Strange World's score is a super-duper-insanely terrible 66% positive. RT's reviews biggest problems is that it's going to grab adult opinions at the expense of 10 year old's thoughts. 

I mean, adults critizicing kids movies isn't a new thing at all. I think it has happened since the first kid movies.

Not to mention that Disney don't make a Little Mermaid remake just to attract kids. So, I'm not sure if I would call it as "wildly unrepresentative demographic reviewing".

At the end, people need to buy a ticket to review in the RT Audience Score. So, the review in the RT Audience Score are mainly from people who have seen the movie.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it can stay in this range on RT, it’s a big win critically. Remember, Cinderella and Jungle Book are the only fresh live action remakes. And Jungle Book got rose colored glasses for its groundbreaking VFX at the time (which is something that’s hurting this movie if anything). 

Beauty and the Beast is fresh(71%) at RT.

4 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

strange world got terrible cinemascore and posttrak for its genre as well. not a good example.

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Critics or audience score?

Mulan was fresh.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Given the 1994 Jungle Book  barely broke even at the box office,no

And it was NOT a remake of the animated film like the 2014 film was, but a non musical new version of the kipling story.

Thought I think that live action remake of anaimted movies did not take off big time until "Beauty and Beast" in 2017.

It was definitely Alice in Wonderland in 2010 that started the live action trend. As absurd as it is to believe, that was only the 6th movie to ever gross $1b worldwide at the time. Though they did take a pretty lengthy 4 year break between that and Maleficent, but from there it has been full churn. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It was definitely Alice in Wonderland in 2010 that started the live action trend. 

Indeed. And 2016 Jungle Book was when they started to make carbon copies of the animated movies. 

Alice, Malificent and Cinderella felt more like readaptings rather than remakes.

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Aladdin getting rotten makes no sense.

Yeah overall a very fun movie. Will Smith killed and Naomi Scott was great.

Only negative . Jafar sucked 

Scar was terribly bland in the TLK remake too.

Let's see how Ursula does but don't expect anything great from her tbh since I can stand Melissa McCarthy

10 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

strange world only have +500 verifed reviews. this is why it's that low. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kon said:

I mean, adults critizicing kids movies isn't a new thing at all. I think it has happened since the first kid movies.

Not to mention that Disney don't make a Little Mermaid remake just to attract kids. So, I'm not sure if I would call it as "wildly unrepresentative demographic reviewing".

At the end, people need to buy a ticket to review in the RT Audience Score. So, the review in the RT Audience Score are mainly from people who have seen the movie.

Yeah, this problem is pretty easily conceptually understood. 3rd party data supports this but it's also self-evident that films play differently for parents versus kids so if you significantly undersample kids, score will be warped in favor of parents. That's all I'm trying to get across with "wildly unrepresentative" claim, not that people who grade the film didn't genuinely want to see the film (and were, to some degree, marketed to see the film). 

I think it's mildly impressive verified user scores end up as decent as they do given conceptual weakness of the polling methods.