CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Strange World received four stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak and a B CinemaScore. Men over 25 were dominant at 33%, but hated it at 66%. Women over 25 were next in attendance at 24% but gave it a 90% grade; then men under 25 at 23% and 83% grade and women under 25 at 21% who gave the pic its best grade at 92%. 

So Posttrak had Strange World at ~82% positive overall and a B cinemascore versus verified RT's 66% which is significantly worse than those 2 scores. So that's a 75% score for those over 25 and 87% under 25. 

It's not that Strange World should have gotten a good score, it's that it should have gotten better than a 66%. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wow I guess I totally blocked out BatB and Mulan being fresh since they were so forgettable. Eh, maybe this isn’t as good of a sign as I thought. 

That's some Berenstain/Berenstein Bears shit right there. I was pretty sure those were rotten flicks too. 

However, for TLM to basically have the same % as BatB probably means it's actually far superior and just on the receiving end of higher standards for these films now. No ways is BatB live action getting 71% if it came out in 2023.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m just thinking since i had mentioned it how insane it was that Alice was the 5th highest grossing movie of all time for a few months… you could argue that’s still their biggest success in this realm since not even TLK cracked the all time top 5 at the time (praise be). Admission may not be too big of a gap between them either given a decade of inflation separates them. And of course, Alice didn’t cost nearly as much as TLK either. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m just thinking since i had mentioned it how insane it was that Alice was the 5th highest grossing movie of all time for a few months… you could argue that’s still their biggest success in this realm since not even TLK cracked the all time top 5 at the time (praise be). Admission may not be too big of a gap between them either given a decade of inflation separates them. And of course, Alice didn’t cost nearly as much as TLK either. 

Alice was the first 3D blockbuster film after Avatar and it was probably the last of Depp's peak years. Its success didn't actually have to do much with nostalgia for the original Disney animated film (which is a great film but very underrated in comparison to other entries in the WDAS pantheon).

Edited by Spidey Freak

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

That's some Berenstain/Berenstein Bears shit right there. I was pretty sure those were rotten flicks too. 

However, for TLM to basically have the same % as BatB probably means it's actually far superior and just on the receiving end of higher standards for these films now. No ways is BatB live action getting 71% if it came out in 2023.

Hahaha, I legit saw like a 50% RT score in my mind when thinking about both of those movies, so glad I’m not the only one.

Mulan getting good reviews is particularly egregious since it’s nearly as bad of an offender as TLK remake as far as sapping all of the life force and charm out of the source material. It actually may even be worse given the entire exclusion of the music.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:10 AM, Morieris said:

The fact that they're removing this + the Wakanda Forever music special...look, take off Artemis Fowl and do us all a favor, but leave those.

Wow why would they remove the Wakanda forever music doc? I watched both parts and thought it was fantastic and loved learning about the artists and hearing about their process. 

• Like 1

Aladdin is still the only one of these I truly enjoy. Cinderella was surprisingly well done too, though I still could have done without it. I would like to like this one just because the casting is great and they seem really committed. So I hope it’s way more Aladdin than any of the others. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Wow why would they remove the Wakanda forever music doc? I watched both parts and thought it was fantastic and loved learning about the artists and hearing about their process. 

Because it's streaming, and streaming never stays up forever. You better make sure you don't lose your movie discs.

First audience scores are out in south korea. They are pretty woeful.

Though a deeper looks shows men giving low scores while the female scores are still high. So target demographic still looks good. 

1 hour ago, eXtacy said:

First audience scores are out in south korea. They are pretty woeful.

Though a deeper looks shows men giving low scores while the female scores are still high. So target demographic still looks good. 

A quick glance at the comments there seems to indicate targeted review bombing that has nothing to do with the quality of the movie but rather the casting controversy. It's really bizarre the level of hate this has attracted there among certain groups. 

• Like 10

18 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Aladdin is still the only one of these I truly enjoy. Cinderella was surprisingly well done too, though I still could have done without it. I would like to like this one just because the casting is great and they seem really committed. So I hope it’s way more Aladdin than any of the others. 

I liked Cruella a lot.

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

I liked Cruella a lot.

me too. At least that was original as it did remake anything. Just took the character from an animated movie. Plus Emma Stone was brilliant as Cruella for sure. It unfortunately got released at a bad time. 

• Like 3

Jungle Book

Aladdin

Maleficent

Cruella

Beauty & the Beast

The Lion King

Alice in Wonderland

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Pinocchio

Mulan

Haven’t seen Cinderella