CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

Just now, Chewy said:

I have like the fifth lowest CW prediction in the Summer Game btw, people went full Neo on it

And many of the same people are now saying we shouldn't have expected an Avengers like performance from a Captain America sequel.

:kitschjob: 

• Like 2

Just now, grim22 said:

And many of the same people are now saying we shouldn't have expected an Avengers like performance from a Captain America sequel.

:kitschjob: 

Probably the same people who were saying it would get a 2.8 Multiplier because of the RT score

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I have like the fifth lowest CW prediction in the Summer Game btw, people went full Neo on it

I still wanna know why he left so abruptly...never to return...

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Probably the same people who were saying it would get a 2.8 Multiplier because of the RT score

Deadline and their love of Cinemascore

Avengers turned around a 3x multiple of its bow for a final stateside cume of $623.4M — and that’s off an A+ CinemaScore which typically carries an average 4.8x multiple. Ultron earned an A, which typically translates into a 3.6x multiple, which would put the sequel well north of $650M using that B.O. yardstick.

Look at the following: Civil War hit an A CinemaScore, a 74% definite recommend from ComScore, an 86% total positive score and a 91% Rotten Tomatoes score. Avengers received an A+, but Civil War has the same CinemaScore as Ultron, and Captain America: Winter Solider. In fact, looking under Civil War‘s hood, it looks like the Russo brothers movie came within inches of an A+ since it hit that high grade with females (40%), under 18 (22%), 18-24 (18%), 25-34 (24%), under 25 (40%), and the blue hairs (50+ turned up at 11%).  It was both males at 60% and the over 25 bunch (60%) who both gave Civil War A’s.

Hence, look for solid holds in the weeks to come for Civil War, particularly as the amount of schools and colleges on summer break swell.  Twenty one percent colleges were off yesterday, which raises to 36% on Monday.

Huge want-to-see CinemaScores here: 64% came out because it was a Marvel movie, 54% because it was a superhero title, while 39% cited either Robert Downey Jr. or Chris Evans, and 24% smitten by Scarlett Johansson.

Ultron turned in a 2.4 multiple finaling at $459M stateside, so that gives you an idea where Civil War is heading.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Pete's Dragon is a remake to an obscure film from Disney's weird stretch between Uncle Walt's passing and the arrival of Eisner/Katzenberg.

I grew up watching it on The Disney Channel back in the day. But... this isn't something most are going to recognize, so they can't play the nostalgia card like Cinderella and The Jungle Book so successfully. Just an odd pick based on their current criteria. Bomb? Oh... yeah.

Could be a good movie though.

43 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Not in local currency. It was 7.39 pounds OW vs. DOFP's 9.14 pounds. The rest is exchange rate.

I meant factoring in the length of the weekend.

10 minutes ago, Chewy said:

dude... why did you have to bring him up. the feels, man :( 

• Like 1

With how bad Alice 2 is looking to do over the 4-day, Angry Birds should hold much better than expected. I think Civil War and Jungle Book will be helped out slightly as well. 

Alice might barely skid past $80 million DOM. BFG and Pete's Dragon just might finish ahead of it :lol:

X-Men - Apocalypse: $75 million/$91 million 

Alice Through the Looking Glass: $31 million/$38 million 

Angry Birds: $25.5 million/$32 million ($79 million)

Captain America - Civil War: $20.5 million/$25 million ($382 million)

Neighbors 2: $12.5 million/$15.5 million ($44 million)

The Nice Guys: $7.5 million/$9 million ($24 million) 

The Jungle Book: $7.5 million/$9.5 million ($341 million) 

Money Monster: $4.25 million/$5 million ($35 million) 

Just now, DAR said:

Alice 1 is still one of those films where its success completely vexed me.

In retrospect, it is now pretty clear that Alice rode the 3D wave post Avatar WW. Same with HTTYD (which granted, had some amazing 3D effects and was actually a really good movie) and Clash of the titans which both fell with their sequels.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

In retrospect, it is now pretty clear that Alice rode the 3D wave post Avatar WW. Same with HTTYD (which granted, had some amazing 3D effects and was actually a really good movie) and Clash of the titans which both fell with their sequels.

To be fair, who the hell wanted a sequel to Clash of the Titans? Ew.