kayumanggi

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES | 622.3 M overseas ● 794.9 M worldwide

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

800m just isn't possible. But 780m is possible since it will be trucking along in Japan for a while

Yeah. Up until this past weekend, I thought the rest of the foreign markets would keep it going a bit further, but that has clearly slowed down. Japan will be carrying it almost entirely by itself after another couple of weeks, so I don't see $800 even a remote possibility now. $780 million is probably the most we could hope for (high end). 

5 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

Yeah. Up until this past weekend, I thought the rest of the foreign markets would keep it going a bit further, but that has clearly slowed down. Japan will be carrying it almost entirely by itself after another couple of weeks, so I don't see $800 even a remote possibility now. $780 million is probably the most we could hope for (high end). 

Last week it held really well in many markets so understandably dropped this weekend. Hope summer holidays can keep it going a little longer

On 7/9/2017 at 9:45 PM, Eastwood47 said:

I think 785 can happen,

172 dom + 65 J + 548 OS-J = 785 ww

Outside chance at 790 if it can do a couple more OS-J and do 67-68 J.

780-790 looks like a fair range. After all this will be a bummer to miss 800 by 10-15 :)

But am glad overall. Even 2-3 weeks into the run I thought 750 was out of reach and 725+ was on cards.

Glad it's gonna be closer to 800 than 750.

The reported prod budget was 230. Even if we assume they are under-reporting and the budget was 230-280, then 780 ww is 2.8-3.4x the prod budget.

That's a very healthy figure for any tent-pole and marketing budget will be taken care of auxiliary revenue (POTC has a lot of diverse revenue streams).

Can really smell a 6th one coming. TF fans are gonna get Bumblebee after TF5 is looking at 600 ww on a 220 reported prod budget.

We should get POTC:DMC2!

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think 785 can happen,

172 dom + 65 J + 548 OS-J = 785 ww

Outside chance at 790 if it can do a couple more OS-J and do 67-68 J.

780-790 looks like a fair range. After all this will be a bummer to miss 800 by 10-15 :)

But am glad overall. Even 2-3 weeks into the run I thought 750 was out of reach and 725+ was on cards.

Glad it's gonna be closer to 800 than 750.

The reported prod budget was 230. Even if we assume they are under-reporting and the budget was 230-280, then 780 ww is 2.8-3.4x the prod budget.

That's a very healthy figure for any tent-pole and marketing budget will be taken care of auxiliary revenue (POTC has a lot of diverse revenue streams).

Can really smell a 6th one coming. TF fans are gonna get Bumblebee after TF5 is looking at 600 ww on a 220 reported prod budget.

We should get POTC:DMC2!

if they make another then a different type of release date might be a good idea. Maybe March, or if not Marvel or Star Wars film is there, November or December

if they make another I would like some more focus on Will and Elizabeth. I enjoyed the movie but it never explained what happened between them

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

if they make another then a different type of release date might be a good idea. Maybe March, or if not Marvel or Star Wars film is there, November or December

if they make another I would like some more focus on Will and Elizabeth. I enjoyed the movie but it never explained what happened between them

Focusing on Will, Elizabeth and Davy Jones is the only way they can substitute Jack's absence (if that's what happens to keep the budget lower).

If POTC6 works without Jack because of above 3 characters (and hoping Jones brings Kraken back from the dead) and a lower budget, the it's an incentive for Depp to take a pay cut for a 7th one.

After RT score came out: this franchise is doomed 

After Domestic number was out and came below tracking: FLOPPED!!!

After awesome china's number: ONLY CHINA could SAVE IT!!

After less than expected fatigue hit from OS: SAVED BY OVERSEAS!! 

After some surprising late-legs domestically: this movie is not dying but come alive!

After awesome japan's opening: THEY WILL MAKE POTC 6!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

After RT score came out: this franchise is doomed 

After Domestic number was out and came below tracking: FLOPPED!!!

After awesome china's number: ONLY CHINA could SAVE IT!!

After less than expected fatigue hit from OS: SAVED BY OVERSEAS!! 

After some surprising late-legs domestically: this movie is not dying but come alive!

That a nice progression, not so long ago after step 2, almost nothing could have changed the narrative of a movie.

On 13.07.2017 at 7:00 PM, titanic2187 said:

I suppose next part has all chances continues the falling. Especially in the USA. So, Disney have to think twice before start the developing of 6th movie. 

And they should cut budget, of course. 120-140 mln, no more.

Screendaily:

Johnny Depp’s action film Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 stands at $741.3m globally, with $571.9m from international territories and $169.4m from North America.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

On 7/14/2017 at 1:33 AM, KeepItU25071906 said:

And they should cut budget, of course. 120-140 mln, no more.

Should probably something else than a Logan type, lower than Deepwater horizon budgeted Pirates of the Caribbeans.

Giant spectacle, set in exotic location and sea, returning cast or a big movie star, state of the arts best CGI all sound integral to that franchise and all cost a fortune. It is a global franchise that will spend more than 130m on it's release with a last entry that got close to 800m.

That why, like you said they must really think twice and have a good hook if they ever do an other one.

Wow it's holding up very well in Japan. $780-$800M WW is more than enough for a sequel. Although I think this would be a fitting end for a franchise they should end it with a profitable film. Disney has more than enough franchises they don't need this to survive at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Impossible said:

Wow it's holding up very well in Japan. $780-$800M WW is more than enough for a sequel. Although I think this would be a fitting end for a franchise they should end it with a profitable film. Disney has more than enough franchises they don't need this to survive at all.

Also Disney are not much into the risk sharing business, Paramount greenlight one Transformer too much, not a big issue many player will loose a reasonable amount of money not all on them, Disney goes all-in usually on is big movie, a reason why their margin of profit is so bigger than the others are, but when they fail it can hurt their bottom line much more.

7 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

I think this will be the last POTC movie. Sad, because it was a very good one, IMO the best since the first. 

remember this is Jerry Bruckheimer's main franchise, I think he can get another made if this one is profitable

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

strong increase to 584m

$584,355,049    77.5%

Worldwide:  $754,399,935  

Nice. 45.6 away from 800. 30-35 more from Japan (for low/mid 60s total) and 2-3 from rest of the markets (including dom) I guess. Will be frustrating if it ends up 790+ and misses 800 by less than 10m. If it can pull off 40-45 more from Japan for low/mid 70s total, then 800 could happen.