kayumanggi

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES | 622.3 M overseas ● 794.9 M worldwide

9 hours ago, John Marston said:

yeah but that can't be helped

My post was just to put into perspective how big is the Russian opening and how big were Russian grosses when ER was way better. The OS grosses must always be measured with the local currencies, not with dollars because you lose completely the perspective. Some people here are making an absurd comparison with the dollars grossed by Avatar, when it was one of the most benefited films ever by the ER factor (with today ER, Avatar would had grossed $62m in Russia instead the official $117m). Let's not make no sense comparisons...

• Like 4

17 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

I think it will make a profit, but not that much. I hope and think Disney will still make a sixth film and reduce the budget by cutting Depp and Bruckheimer's salaries in exchange of a backend from the box office gross.

I do want the 6th movie but only with Gore back

Idk about reducing the costs, I want sea battles & all the location shoots & VFX  is pricey. I dont know how much Bruckheimer himself gets. he's a huge fan & I can see him already reducing his own salary & pour it into the production.

Hopefully the gross would be enough to continue tho it could be a good finish of the franchise storywise.

Great opening here indeed as I expected (the indication was there from the beginning considering that it was voted the most anticipated in the history of a main movie website)

but yeah with past ER it def could have beat POTC4 $60 something mil

I wish more markets that matter were as enthusiastic about the franchise.:sadno:

superheroes is where its at now

WW def will take audience from it next wkend in some markets for sure (((

If in China it does 1.55x it's 5-day then it will end up with ~171m USD.

So 170 Ch + 165 Dom + 50 Japan = 385

Rest of markets probably could take it to 725+.

At least 700 global seems very likely if not certain.

Not to be a downer but nothing much to celebrate...

unless it surprises a little and does on average 5-10 more in Ch, Dom and Japan for 425 (instead of 385) in those 3 markets combined, followed by 375 (instead of 325) in OS-Ch-J for 800 (hell I'll take 750+)

• Like 1

OST did like 730m without China. A 40% drop OS-Ch gives this around 438m. Add 170-175m from China and 600 OS looks probable in my books. Domestic i got the feeling is gonna develop solid legs, internal multiplier over the long weekend has been somewhat encouraging.

DOM: 175m

WW: 785

I dont rule out 800m WW yet.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Deadline says it'll make $280M in revenue after it's all said and done. 

http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tales-1202104307/ 

They are using an 850 WW due to optimistic OS...their DOM of 175 is reasonable.

If the OS is off by 100 it could reduce the profits by $35M (assuming studio gets ~35% share of OS and there is no domino effect in calculations on OS rentals and merchandising).

But it's on track to do 3x+ the prod budget (230) globally...so should be profitable.

Edited by a2knet

OS has been 207.5 FSS + 40 Mon + 32.9 Tue = 280.4

Say 50 on Wed + Thu combined...so 330 OS after week 1.

OS OW was 207.5...so 90 2nd weekend ?

I have gone with a big 57% drop cause the biggest market (China) will drop the biggest (irrespective of wom...it's actually doing well there).

So 330 + 90 = 420 OS by 2nd weekend.

90*1.5 more for 420 + 135 = 555 OS from current markets.

Japan could push it to 605-615 with 50-60 cume.

So 170-175 Dom + 605-615 OS = 775-790 WW.

I feel my OS-Japan (555) is optimistic. I really really hope the 2nd weekend OS is above 85 (59% drop from 207.5)

800 WW still alive I guess.

Edited by a2knet

From Corpse on POTC5 in Japan:

It'll most likely drop, but I doubt it's significant and wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Interest is high, and it has the summer kick-off weekend all to itself following the dead month of June... I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the widest release of all-time in the market as a result. And said release date is much stronger than its predecessor's. And while there's a lot of competition later in July/August... this summer lacks any one major film to contend with so it could be the top choice for casual moviegoers as the easily recognized/established option to see over the summer.

POTC4 made 109m there.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, James said:

POTC4 made 109m there.

If POTC5 can do 70 then it would be awesome...800 and number #6 could depend on Japan Gods. :worthy:

180 Ch + 175 Dom + 70 J = 425

425 + 375 OS-Ch-J = 800

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I am at least feeling confident about 750.

OS-China OW was 140.

So 2.5x gives 350 OS-China-Japan.

Then 175 China, 170 Dom and 55 Japan gives 750.

800 would depend on

1. China and Dom doing 5 each more for 760.

2. Japan doing 15-20 more for 775-780

3. OS-China-Japan doing 20-25 more for 800+

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, James said:

POTC4 made 109m there.

It goes to show how big the exchange rate disparity POTC5 has versus the previous film. Earning the same amount in yen would translate to only $80 million now. 3D was still a much bigger deal in Japan in 2011, so it's guaranteed to drop in local currency even if admissions are around the same. I hope it can still earn around Fantastic Beasts numbers in Japan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

It goes to show how big the exchange rate disparity POTC5 has versus the previous film. Earning the same amount in yen would translate to only $80 million now. 3D was still a much bigger deal in Japan in 2011, so it's guaranteed to drop in local currency even if admissions are around the same. I hope it can still earn around Fantastic Beasts numbers in Japan.

I hope for 70-75m. It really has no competition in June and having seen the movie today, I think the WoM will be very good.

• Like 1