La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Will X-Men manage to finish this weekend, with at least 400 million worldwide?

Overseas grosses haven't been updated for a while, we have China release and a bit of money from domestic weekend. I'm really curious about overseas performance.

China going to do $55m  53% over DOFP  It should be over $400m WW

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

World of Warcraft has a lot more players than TF2, a better comparison would be CSGO; the subscriber count for WOW and the unique players in CSGO are a lot closer (low to mid 5M).

Dang, that's a massive drop from the 12m or so when I stopped playing (at least playing playing, I've tried out the new expansions but I don't have time for it like I used to.  Plus, you can only raid for so long before you're done with it)

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

World of Warcraft has a lot more players than TF2, a better comparison would be CSGO; the subscriber count for WOW and the unique players in CSGO are a lot closer (low to mid 5M).

Dang, that's a massive drop from the 12m or so when I stopped playing (at least playing playing, I've tried out the new expansions but I don't have time for it like I used to.  Plus, you can only raid for so long before you're done with it)

4 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I just walked out of Ninja Turtles 2. Oof.

Really? I got home about 20 minutes ago and surprisingly enjoyed it. Didn't like the first at all, but this one, especially the first half for me, was rather fun! 

Final fight and ending were trash though :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Really? I got home about 20 minutes ago and surprisingly enjoyed it. Didn't like the first at all, but this one, especially the first half for me, was rather fun! 

Final fight and ending were trash though :(

I think I'm just bummed out at that ending I was hoping for something more grand.

• Like 1

Off topic but DORY and CI's forecasts have changed significantly...in the opposite direction

Finding Dory    Jun 17, 2016     Disney      $133,000,000       $449,000,000
Central Intelligence    Jun 17, 2016   Warner Bros. / New Line      $38,000,000 $123,000,000

Previously was

Finding Dory    Jun 17, 2016      Disney       $111,000,000      $400,000,000
Central Intelligence    Jun 17, 2016 Warner Bros. / New Line      $52,000,000 $155,000,000

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Off topic but DORY and CI's forecasts have changed significantly...in the opposite direction

Finding Dory    Jun 17, 2016     Disney      $133,000,000       $449,000,000
Central Intelligence    Jun 17, 2016   Warner Bros. / New Line      $38,000,000 $123,000,000

Wow, I thought if CI could go anywhere it would be higher.

• Like 1

I wasn't there for the late shows, and while there was a bigger line than usual (which I'll take into account) here's how today shaped up at my theatre. Again, I say "5M" which means our equivalent in ticket sales.

Tutrles is going to do anywhere from 9-10M+. That's from a 13.1M Friday, so it'll likely be an o/u 30M weekend. Me before you did 8.5M yesterday and did around another 7M today, so probably 19-20.5M weekend for it. Apocalypse had 6.8M yesterday and another 7-8M today, and Alice will have a 13-15M weekend, while Angry Birds will probably be at around 9M.

• Like 6

Me Before You is going to have some serious legs. My crowd ate it up. There's something artificial about it, that distinctly American way that some films try to manipulate your emotions, but it's entertaining. The old Pygmalion/Pretty Woman formula still works: the rich man teaches the poor girl about the finer things in life, and when she cries at the opera, he knows she can be changed!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I wasn't there for the late shows, and while there was a bigger line than usual (which I'll take into account) here's how today shaped up at my theatre. Again, I say "5M" which means our equivalent in ticket sales.

Tutrles is going to do anywhere from 9-10M+. That's from a 13.1M Friday, so it'll likely be an o/u 30M weekend. Me before you did 8.5M yesterday and did around another 7M today, so probably 19-20.5M weekend for it. Apocalypse had 6.8M yesterday and another 7-8M today, and Alice will have a 13-15M weekend, while Angry Birds will probably be at around 9M.

That would be a bad jump for APOC. DOFP jumped 46.5% on 2nd Sat.

But then closer to 70% drop in 2nd weekend is more normal for APOC than 66% (~22.5m weekend deadlin/pro.bo are predicting) as DOFP fell 64% with much better preview:ow raoti (APOC 8.2/65.7m; DOFP 8.1/90.8m).

68%+ drop (<=21m weekend) would be normal.

Edit: 6.5 + 8.5-9.0 + 5.9-6.3 = 20.9-21.8m probably for APOC.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

That would be a bad jump for APOC. DOFP jumped 46.5% on 2nd Sat. But then closer to 70% drop in 2nd weekend is more normal for APOC than 66% (~22.5m weekend deadlin/pro.bo are predicting) as DOFP fell 64% with much better preview:ow raoti (APOC 8.2/65.7m; DOFP 8.1/90.8m). 68%+ drop (<=21m weekend) would be normal.

At the same time however, the movie only opened to like 35M here last weekend, and so is dropping less than 50% this weekend.

The reason that jumps were so bad today was our matinee sucked; whether was beautiful today, and that can have a serious effect in a market like ours.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Wow, I thought if CI could go anywhere it would be higher.

I think as they have increased DORY so much, they felt the need to bring down CI as they are competing in the same weekend. Even though the genres are different, DORY is in a position to attract everyone including single adults and couples without kids as over time Pixar has retained it's once child/now grown-up fan base. NEMO came 13 years back so those kids are adults now.

But I feel CI will be stronger than that and DORY will be below the 130m+ ow they are predicting.

EDIT: On the other hand, their reason for bringing down CI could have nothing to do with DORY. Last year IO's 90m+ OW and JW 100m+ 2nd weekend happened together. So there's room for plenty.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I think a lot of BoxOffice's summer forecast so far has been more of the "lets put something up there" variety - that Dory number (much like CW) is crazy, they have swallowed the Disney hype train yet again to disappointmentville.

• Like 2