Dementeleus

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

89. The Killer (1989)

The-Killer-1989-Poster.jpg

written and directed by: John Woo

starring: Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh

Synopsis: 

A disillusioned assassin accepts one last hit in hopes of using his earnings to restore vision to a singer he accidentally blinded, only to be double-crossed by his boss.

Most of you probably know John Woo’s name from the American movies he made: FACE/OFF and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II, among others. But he had a long and successful career directing action films in Hong Kong. The most famous of these is probably THE KILLER, a modern action that fully displays all of Woo’s signature flourishes: doves, two-handed gun fights, tons of explosions, gun kata, tremendous melodrama.

If you like action movies, and you haven’t seen this, you’re missing out. It’s the essence of Woo. Full gonzo insanity. Check out the brief trailer to get a sense of it.

Fucking-A. Also recommend Hard-Boiled, another classic Woo flick.

• Like 5

John Woo was on a fucking roll in the late '80s and early '90s. A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Bullet in the Head, Hard Boiled - all great. Bullet in the Head especially is woefully underseen - in both scope and intensity it's basically his The Deer Hunter. Hell of a film.

To Live and Die in LA might be my favorite Friedkin. 

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Dammit. :poker: 

lol

i think you know that I shouldn't be the one to use as the barometer for this one ;) 

• Like 2

The Killer is one I always wanted to see and never did. Must fix that. William Petersen did some really good work before CSI....live and die was one of his better ones.

• Like 1

87. My Man Godfrey (1936)

c577826f65fa2535a9cc83575c4f6ecd.jpg

written by: Morrie Rysking & Eric Hatch (based on Hatch’s novel)

directed by: Gregory La Cava

starring: William Powell, Carole Lombard

Synopsis: 

A scatterbrained socialite hires a vagrant as a family butler...but there's more to Godfrey than meets the eye.

A classic screwball comedy. It’s set in then-contemporary times (the Great Depression) which mirror our own recent depression. The poor are dirt poor… the rich are extremely rich (and frivolous). One day, during a party game where all the contestants must find various objects in order to win, a ditsy socialite takes a homeless man as her “forgotten man” and decides he’s going to be “her protege”. He becomes the butler in their mansion, a straight man amidst all the ridiculousness. And, of course, the socialite starts falling in love with him.

Carole Lombard and William Powell are at the top of their game — they have great chemistry together and they’re surrounded by a great supporting cast, most of whom are playing the insane, idle rich. Timeless and timely. And, of course, very funny.

• Like 5

86. Victory (1981)

victory.jpg

written by: Evan Jones, Yabo Yablonsky (story by Yabo Yablonsky, Djordje Milicevic, Jeff Maguire)

directed by: John Huston

starring: Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, Pele, Bobby Moore

Synopsis: 

As allied POWs prepare for a soccer game against the German National Team to be played in Nazi-occupied Paris, the French Resistance and British officers make plans for the team's escape.

One of the most unlikely genre combinations ever, this is a WWII prison escape thriller crossed with a sports movie. I mean, did you ever think you’d see Stallone and Pele in a movie together? Directed by industry legend John Huston, this is (amazingly) based on a true story, although it takes plenty of liberties.

When German officers observe some of their POWs playing soccer in the prison camps, they hatch a plan: host a soccer match in Berlin where the “best” of the Allied players face off against an all-star Nazi team. The resulting win would be a big propaganda boost for the Germans. But the Allies have a secret plan for their team to escape.

Stallone has a lot of fun as the American who’s completely ignorant of how to play soccer (and who only joins the team in order to escape), Michael Caine is excellent as always, and famous soccer stars Pele and Bobby Moore do a solid job as well.

@Baumer, is it possible this is a Stallone movie you haven’t seen?!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

87. My Man Godfrey (1936)

written by: Morrie Rysking & Eric Hatch (based on Hatch’s novel)

directed by: Gregory La Cava

starring: William Powell, Carole Lombard

Synopsis: 

A scatterbrained socialite hires a vagrant as a family butler...but there's more to Godfrey than meets the eye.

A classic screwball comedy. It’s set in then-contemporary times (the Great Depression) which mirror our own recent depression. The poor are dirt poor… the rich are extremely rich (and frivolous). One day, during a party game where all the contestants must find various objects in order to win, a ditsy socialite takes a homeless man as her “forgotten man” and decides he’s going to be “her protege”. He becomes the butler in their mansion, a straight man amidst all the ridiculousness. And, of course, the socialite starts falling in love with him.

Carole Lombard and William Powell are at the top of their game — they have great chemistry together and they’re surrounded by a great supporting cast, most of whom are playing the insane, idle rich. Timeless and timely. And, of course, very funny.

For a remake my pick would be Ralph Fiennes.  He has the comedic chops as well as the intelligence and the classy reserve.

• Like 2