Plain Old Tele

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

6 hours ago, Telemachos said:

89. The Killer (1989)

The-Killer-1989-Poster.jpg

written and directed by: John Woo

starring: Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh

Synopsis: 

A disillusioned assassin accepts one last hit in hopes of using his earnings to restore vision to a singer he accidentally blinded, only to be double-crossed by his boss.

Most of you probably know John Woo’s name from the American movies he made: FACE/OFF and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II, among others. But he had a long and successful career directing action films in Hong Kong. The most famous of these is probably THE KILLER, a modern action that fully displays all of Woo’s signature flourishes: doves, two-handed gun fights, tons of explosions, gun kata, tremendous melodrama.

If you like action movies, and you haven’t seen this, you’re missing out. It’s the essence of Woo. Full gonzo insanity. Check out the brief trailer to get a sense of it.

YESSSSSSSS

Now make sure Hardboiled makes it to. One of the best one-take action scenes period.

• Like 3

@Telemachos...haven't seen My Man Godfrey....of course I've seen Victory lol...not one of his best but I still enjoyed it.  No way Out is terrific....at a time when Sean Young was hot....Eight Men Out is terrific as well....love Cusack in it.

• Like 1

82. North Face (2009)

North_Face_%28film%29.jpg

written by: Christoph Silber, Philipp Stölzl, Rupert Henning, Johannes Aber, Benedikt Roeskau (story)

directed by: Philipp Stölzl

starring: Benno Fürmann, Johanna Wokalek, Florian Lukas

Synopsis: 

Based on a true story, NORTH FACE is a suspenseful adventure film about a competition to climb the most dangerous rock face in the Alps. Set in 1936, as Nazi propaganda urges the nation's Alpinists to conquer the unclimbed north face of the Swiss massif — the Eiger — two reluctant German climbers begin their daring ascent.

Two of my favorite sub-genres (the struggle against Nature and WWII) combine in this tale of two expert German climbers who are pushed to be the first to ascent the north face of the Eiger, to be used as propaganda of German prowess and endurance. The two protagonists prefer mountaineering over Nazi politics (they quit the army in order to make the climb), but they slowly find themselves facing danger not only from the mountain, but from their political choices as well.

• Like 3

81. The Best of Times (1986)

best_of_times_xlg.jpg

written by: Ron Shelton
directed by: Roger Spottiswoode
starring: Robin Williams, Kurt Russell 

Synopsis: 
A small-town loser determines to have one more shot at the big time by winning a football game.

Before he wrote WHITE MEN CAN’T JUMP, BULL DURHAM, and TIN CUP, Ron Shelton penned this comedy about a man convinced that his life is a miserable ruin because he dropped the winning touchdown pass in his high school’s game against their arch-rivals, decades earlier. He decides the only way to jump-start his life is to convince everyone involved to play the game again.

Robin Williams is his usual brilliance self (albeit more restrained than his crazier roles), Kurt Russell is perfectly cast as the ex-quarterback who’s coasting through life based on his high-school exploits, and Pamela Reed and Holly Palance play the long-suffering wives. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Hmmm, but is it too well-known to make the list? :ph34r::poker: 

Compared to at least a couple on this list I'd say it is lesser known :redcapes:

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

80. Warlock (1989)

warlock.jpg

written by: David Twohy

directed by: Steve Miner

starring: Julian Sands, Lori Singer, Richard E. Grant

Synopsis: 

A warlock flees from the 17th to the 20th century, with a witch-hunter in hot pursuit.

David Twohy wrote THE FUGITIVE and has since written and directed the Riddick franchise with Vin Diesel. But back in the late 80s, he was just another genre writer trying to make his way in Hollywood

Steve Miner isn’t a name many are familiar with, but he was a part of the creative team that launched the FRIDAY THE 13TH franchise (he directed parts 2 and 3). Like Twohy, he was a genre guy trying to build himself a career. When the two of them teamed up on WARLOCK, the result is both rad and funny. Julian Sands is the evil warlock who travels through space and time to Los Angeles in the 80s, Richard E. Grant is the witch-hunter who pursues him, and Lori Singer is the LA girl who unexpectedly finds herself helping Grant. 

Like another film that’ll appear later on this list, the 80s were a great time for movies that wanted to poke fun at their genres but keep things serious as well. These movies marked out territories that people like Joss Whedon were able to exploit and develop more fully in the 1990s and beyond.

Richard E. Grant, btw, is one of my favorite actors and woefully unknown. He seemed right on the cusp of breaking through to stardom, but never quite made it. Treasure him.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

89. The Killer (1989)

The-Killer-1989-Poster.jpg

written and directed by: John Woo

starring: Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh

Synopsis: 

A disillusioned assassin accepts one last hit in hopes of using his earnings to restore vision to a singer he accidentally blinded, only to be double-crossed by his boss.

Most of you probably know John Woo’s name from the American movies he made: FACE/OFF and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II, among others. But he had a long and successful career directing action films in Hong Kong. The most famous of these is probably THE KILLER, a modern action that fully displays all of Woo’s signature flourishes: doves, two-handed gun fights, tons of explosions, gun kata, tremendous melodrama.

If you like action movies, and you haven’t seen this, you’re missing out. It’s the essence of Woo. Full gonzo insanity. Check out the brief trailer to get a sense of it.

My 3rd favorite John Woo movie! MI2 at the top of course.

Spoiler

Hardboiled is my favorite Woo film followed by this. Face/Off and Red Cliff for #3!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

My 3rd favorite John Woo movie! MI2 at the top of course.

Hide contents

Hardboiled is my favorite Woo film followed by this. Face/Off and Red Cliff for #3!

For the uninitiated:

But we are the initiated @MrPink

• Like 5