Plain Old Tele

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

All the action scenes in Hard Boiled are the fucking best gunfights ever put on celluloid period.

It s so violent, complex and well choregraphed.

What I like the most about Woo's films is his fetichism for bullet impacts, every shot fired has an impact on the set so you have hundreds of tiny explosions all the time destroying everything bit by bit.

It s like poetry man.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Richard E. Grant, btw, is one of my favorite actors and woefully unknown. He seemed right on the cusp of breaking through to stardom, but never quite made it. Treasure him

I think he's somewhat well-known over here in England. Not A-list or anything, but not an unknown either. I remember, as a kid, being fooled into believing for years that he was Hugh Grant's brother...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

I think he's somewhat well-known over here in England. Not A-list or anything, but not an unknown either. I remember, as a kid, being fooled into believing for years that he was Hugh Grant's brother...

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. Makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I just watched The Killer it's Leon + The Town + Butch Cassidy + hundreds of dudes getting 7 bullets in them with blood shooting out.  

And the two characters lovingly refer to themselves as Mickey and Dumbo.

What more could you want?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I just watched The Killer it's Leon + The Town + Butch Cassidy + hundreds of dudes getting 7 bullets in them with blood shooting out.  

You mean Luc Besson and Ben Affleck realized, "We don't possibly have the stones to pull all of that off, but we can manage one or two things as homage." :P 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Richard E. Grant, btw, is one of my favorite actors and woefully unknown. He seemed right on the cusp of breaking through to stardom, but never quite made it. Treasure him.

All right, this is the plan. We get in there and get wrecked, then we'll eat a pork pie, then we'll drop a couple of Surmontil-50's each. That means we'll miss out Monday but come up smiling Tuesday morning.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Telemachos said:

80. Warlock (1989)

warlock.jpg

written by: David Twohy

directed by: Steve Miner

starring: Julian Sands, Lori Singer, Richard E. Grant

Synopsis: 

A warlock flees from the 17th to the 20th century, with a witch-hunter in hot pursuit.

David Twohy wrote THE FUGITIVE and has since written and directed the Riddick franchise with Vin Diesel. But back in the late 80s, he was just another genre writer trying to make his way in Hollywood

Steve Miner isn’t a name many are familiar with, but he was a part of the creative team that launched the FRIDAY THE 13TH franchise (he directed parts 2 and 3). Like Twohy, he was a genre guy trying to build himself a career. When the two of them teamed up on WARLOCK, the result is both rad and funny. Julian Sands is the evil warlock who travels through space and time to Los Angeles in the 80s, Richard E. Grant is the witch-hunter who pursues him, and Lori Singer is the LA girl who unexpectedly finds herself helping Grant. 

Like another film that’ll appear later on this list, the 80s were a great time for movies that wanted to poke fun at their genres but keep things serious as well. These movies marked out territories that people like Joss Whedon were able to exploit and develop more fully in the 1990s and beyond.

Richard E. Grant, btw, is one of my favorite actors and woefully unknown. He seemed right on the cusp of breaking through to stardom, but never quite made it. Treasure him.

Grant had the hilarious parody TV cook show Posh Nosh - who could ask for anything more? (if you haven't seen it - You tube)

As for Warlock.... what it mostly has going for it is that well Julian Sands is hot - not Room With A View glorious - but still B)

• Like 2

Warlock was very good btw.  I like that David Twohy is so versatile.....does The Fugitive and films like Warlock....very cool.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Warlock was very good btw.  I like that David Twohy is so versatile.....does The Fugitive and films like Warlock....very cool.

yep, I also like his 1996 sci if movie The Arrival. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

79. The Man from Snowy River (1982)

the-man-from-snowy-river-movie-poster-19

written by: Cul Cullen, John Dixon, A.B. “Banjo” Paterson (poem)

directed by: George Miller

starring: Kirk Douglas, Tom Burlinson, Sigrid Thornton

Synopsis: 

In 1880s Australia when young Jim Craig's father dies Jim takes a job at the Harrison cattle ranch and he is forced to become a man.

Inspired by a poem by Banjo Paterson (who also wrote the famous song “Waltzing Matilda”, this is basically an Aussie western set in the late 19th century. Tom Burlinson plays the lead character, a young man who’s forced to leave the highlands when his father unexpectedly dies, and learns his chops. He gets work on a ranch owned by Kirk Douglas (who also plays the twin brother of the owner), and ends up falling in love with his daughter.

The film itself doesn’t break any new ground as a western, but it’s an entertaining tale, and Burlinson and Thornton are very appealing. The scenery is absolutely majestic.

Minor bit of trivia: this was the highest grossing film in Australia until CROCODILE DUNDEE came out.

(btw, the George Miller who directed this is not the same George Miller of MAD MAX fame. That’s right, in the 1980s there were two Australian directors named George Miller… go figure.)

• Like 6

78. Summer School (1987)

Summer_school_poster.jpg

written by: Jeff Franklin (story by Stuart Birnbaum & David Dashev and Jeff Franklin)

directed by: Carl Reiner

starring: Mark Harmon, Kirstie Alley

Synopsis: 

A high-school gym teacher has big plans for the summer, but is forced to cancel them to teach a "bonehead" English class for misfit goof-off students.

Famous comedian Carl Reiner (Rob Reiner’s father, incidentally) directed this really entertaining bit of fluff about Shoop, deadbeat gym teacher who doesn’t give a crap about school, and who only teaches in the first place because the high school’s close to the beach and he’ll have summers off. Unfortunately for him, he gets saddled with teaching a summer class for all the kids who failed the school year, and for the first time he actually has to start putting effort and care into what he does. Plus, of course, he has to impress the super-hot new teacher next door — Kirstie Alley — who’s way above his league.

Mark Harmon and Kirstie Alley are excellent and the supporting class of all the kids are really great as well. No famous names but plenty of faces you’ll recognize if you’ve seen some 80s movies.

attn: @Ethan Hunt

• Like 6

Summer School is one of my faves. Besides it being incredibly funny there is an awesome subplot of two of the kids in class being massive Texas Chainsaw Massacre fans. It's such a well put-together film. Mark Harmon is really good as well.

• Like 4

77. Papillon (1973)

papillon_ver3.jpg

written by: Dalton Trumbo, Lorenzo Semple Jr. (based on the book by Henri Charierre)

directed by: Franklin J. Schnaffner

starring: Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman

Synopsis: 

A man befriends a fellow criminal as the two of them begin serving their sentence on a dreadful prison island, which inspires the man to plot his escape.

Based (loosely) on a true story (and a book by the prisoner, Henri Charierre), this is another prison break movie. Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman star as two men in the 1930s, serving life sentences on the infamous Devil’s Island penal colony. They decide to make every effort to escape.

McQueen and Hoffman are great, obviously, though apparently there was some bad blood between them when Hoffman found out he was being paid 750k less than McQueen. And, of course, McQueen had to find a way to do some big stunt — in that regard, he was certainly the Tom Cruise of his era. For those who saw the recent movie TRUMBO, this is a movie he wrote, and supposedly Hoffman based many of his mannerisms on Trumbo’s. Last but not least, the score is by Jerry Goldsmith and it’s wonderful (he was nominated for an Academy Award and it was one of AFI’s 250 nominated soundtracks for “25 Best American film scores”).

• Like 9