Dementeleus

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

33. Wind (1993)

wind.jpg

written by: Rudy Wurlitzer and Mac Gudgeon (story by Jeff Benjamin and Roger Vaughn & Kimball Livingston)
directed by: Carroll Ballard
starring: Matthew Modine, Jennifer Grey, Stellan Skarsgard, Cliff Robertson

Synopsis:
Will Parker, played by Matthew Modine, loses the Americas Cup (the worlds biggest sailing prize) to the Australians and decides to form his own syndicate to win it back.

This would typically be a by-the-numbers sports adventure. Young man strives to win the ultimate prize (to satisfy himself and his girlfriend), fails, and then has to retrain so he can win and impress them again. But while some of these beats happen, the story zigs when you expect it to zag. Characters threaten to fall into stock stereotypes and then twist out of that. All of this is anchored by Carroll Ballard's typically brilliant visuals (courtesy of master cinematographer John Toll) and Basil Poledeuris's vivid and peppy score. All the performances are good, but I really got a kick out of Stellan Skarsgard. This, combined with HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, made me really start to keep an eye out for his name.

It's a great example how of a movie can survive the development process of a major studio and still come through with interesting wrinkles and scratches.

@MrPink @4815162342 @ddddeeee

Remind me to tell detail to keep hotheads outta here.

<3 Stellan, may have to check this out.

• Like 1

31. Ivan's Childhood (1962)

IvansChildhood_Lg.jpg

written by: Vladimir Bogomolov, Mikhail Papava (from a story by Bogomolov)
directed by: Andrei Tarkovsky

starring: Nikolay Burlyaev, Valentin Zubkov

Synopsis:
In WW2, twelve year old Soviet orphan Ivan Bondarev works for the Soviet army as a scout behind the German lines and strikes a friendship with three sympathetic Soviet officers.

This is Tarkovsky's first (and most accessible) movie, a relatively straightforward story of the struggle for survival and revenge against the backdrop of WWII.

Ivan is a young orphan who seeks revenge for the murder of his family by the invading Germans. He becomes a scout on the front line, and the other soldiers become quite fond of him and try to protect him at all costs. But Ivan insists on fighting however he can.

Alternately bleak, hopeful, sobering, sad, and uplifting, the movie has numerous flashbacks and a even a flash forward, and Tarkovsky's use of visuals is absolutely stunning, even though this was his first feature. As would become a trademark for him with his other movies, the final image is breathtaking and emotional.

I can't find any trailer for it, so here's a short scene.

• Like 3

30. Man Bites Dog (1992)

man-bites-dog-movie-poster-1992-10202465

written by: Remy Belvaux & Andrew Bonzel & Benoit Poelvoorde & Vincent Tavier
directed by: Remy Belvaux, Andrew Bonzel, Benoit Poelvoorde
starring: Benoit Poelvoorde, Malou Malou, Willy Vandenbroeck

Synopsis:
A film crew follows a ruthless thief and heartless killer as he goes about his daily routine. But complications set in when the film crew lose their objectivity and begin lending a hand.

This is a very unsettling and twisted little mockumentary. It's rated NC-17 for graphic violence and a general nasty tone. The film focuses on Ben, a racist psychopath (and a happy one, too) who's more than welcome to invite the documentary filmmakers along during his violent crimes. As the filmmakers themselves begin to actively help Ben, the movie becomes a commentary of the objectivity of documentaries, of depicting grotesque acts, and whether an audience or viewer can become complicit with what's being shown. And, as the movie progresses, it also begins to delve into the concept of revenge.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

31. Man Bites Dog (1992)

man-bites-dog-movie-poster-1992-10202465

written by: Remy Belvaux & Andrew Bonzel & Benoit Poelvoorde & Vincent Tavier
directed by: Remy Belvaux, Andrew Bonzel, Benoit Poelvoorde
starring: Benoit Poelvoorde, Malou Malou, Willy Vandenbroeck

Synopsis:
A film crew follows a ruthless thief and heartless killer as he goes about his daily routine. But complications set in when the film crew lose their objectivity and begin lending a hand.

This is a very unsettling and twisted little mockumentary. It's rated NC-17 for graphic violence and a general nasty tone. The film focuses on Ben, a racist psychopath (and a happy one, too) who's more than welcome to invite the documentary filmmakers along during his violent crimes. As the filmmakers themselves begin to actively help Ben, the movie becomes a commentary of the objectivity of documentaries, of depicting grotesque acts, and whether an audience or viewer can become complicit with what's being shown. And, as the movie progresses, it also begins to delve into the concept of revenge.

The despicable people who did the "Amy" documentary should watch this, maybe, just maybe, they will understand how horrible they are.

But thats wishful thinking on my part I guess.

Edited by The Futurist

Haha Tele I didn't expect "C''est arrivé près de chez vous" to make your list. I didn't even know it had a cool English name like "Man bites dog".

Poelvoorde is really good in his debut role and the monologues are really entertaining in French. I liked your whole mockumentary description also. Well played.

• Like 2

Haha Tele I didn't expect "C''est arrivé près de chez vous" to make your list. I didn't even know it had a cool English name like "Man bites dog".

Poelvoorde is really good in his debut role and the monologues are really entertaining in French. I liked your whole mockumentary description also. Well played.

Never seen or heard, but sounds like a very interesting movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

I heard about Man Bites Dog years ago. 

What does it say about the people I hung around with then made it sound more like a comedy.

Nothing, really. :lol: There's definitely some very dark humor in there. But it works very well overall. Poelvoorde's performance is amazing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Nothing, really. :lol: There's definitely some very dark humor in there. But it works very well overall. Poelvoorde's performance is amazing.

Didn't make it sound dark, honestly. But, eh. My friends are weirder than me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Didn't make it sound dark, honestly. But, eh. My friends are weirder than me.

It's defenitly dark humour but all of my friends and myself agree that this movie has some hillarious scenes. It's why I think Mockumentary description really fits it.

• Like 2

29. Phar Lap (1983)

phar_lap.jpg

written by: David Williamson

directed by: Simon Wincer

starring: Tom Burlinson, Richard Morgan, Robert Grubb

Synopsis:

The true story of a Australian racehorse that becomes a champion with the help of a local stableboy.

Points to anyone (except for @DeeCee) who’s seen or heard of this. I think this was a solid hit in Australia, but it didn’t do much here in the States. Another old-fashioned movie, this is along the lines of NATIONAL VELVET or SEABISCUIT or other classic horse-racing movies, but tinged with a darker, sadder element. Phar Lap was a star that came out of nowhere in the 1930s, become the beloved darling of the racing public in Australia, and challenged the establishment.

Tom Burlinson had already become a star Down Under with THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER, and here the Aussie crew all went on to have solid careers — Russell Boyd, the cinematographer, shot MASTER & COMMANDER, and director Simon Wincer’s done a ton of excellent work with smaller movies and TV.

I can't find an English-language trailer for it. Here's a clip of a training montage:

• Like 4

28. Return to Oz (1985)

return_to_oz_ver2.jpg

written by: Gill Dennis, Walter Murch (based on the novels by L. Frank Baum)

directed by: Walter Murch

starring: Fairuza Balk, Nicol Williamson

Synopsis:

Dorothy, saved from a psychiatric experiment by a mysterious girl, is somehow called back to Oz when a vain witch and the Nome King destroy everything that makes the magical land beautiful.

An utter bomb when it was first released, this is a darker (and yet much more faithful) adaptation of L. Frank Baum’s famous Oz books. Gone are the musical numbers and the more ridiculous aspects of Oz, and added are some of Baum’s more famous supporting characters (Tik-Tok, the Nome King, Jack Pumpkinhead, Princess Ozma). Despite the critical lambasting and poor box-office performance, this is a worthy and good fantasy movie, one that isn’t afraid to delve into a little darkness in order to have our plucky heroes come through unscathed.

The movie was directed by legendary sound and picture editor Walter Murch (I know I’ve been using that moniker a lot, but in this case he really is a legend in the industry). It’s his only feature film credit as a director (though of course he’s won Oscars and literally changed the way the industry approaches sound and picture editing with his advanced work on THX-1138, APOCALYPSE NOW, and THE GODFATHER movies, to name but a few).

• Like 3

27. Once Upon a Time in China (1991)

Once_Upon_a_Time_in_China-386463995-larg

written by: Leung Yiu-ming, Elsa Tang, Tsui Hark, Yuen Kai-Chi

directed by: Tsui Hark

starring: Jet Li, Rosamund Kwan

Synopsis:

Set in late 19th century Canton this martial arts film depicts the stance taken by the legendary hero Wong Fei-Hung against English, French, and American forces plundering his country.

The name of Tsui Hark is well-known for movie buffs who love action and kung-fu genre movies. He started his career in Hong Kong in the mid-80s and was instrumental not only in producing and launching John Woo’s career, but also stars like Chow Yun-Fat and Jet Li. In fact, Hark was one of the key figures that popularized wuxia movies. You haven’t really seen an action movie until you’ve watched one of Tsui Hark’s insanities.

• Like 6

26. Letter Never Sent (1962)

LNS-poster.jpg

written by: Grigory Koltunov, Valeri Osipov (story by Valeri Osipov, Viktor Rozor)

directed by: Mikhail Kalatozov

starring: Tatyana Samoylova, Evgeniy Urbanskiy, Evgeniy Urbanskiy

Synopsis:

Four geologists search for diamonds in the wilderness of Siberia.

The plot of this is relatively slim (and more or less summed up by the synopsis). The only human complication is a love triangle. The real conflict is Man vs Nature, and here you could vaguely describe LETTER NEVER SENT as THE REVENANT without Inarritu-ism. The cinematography here is stunning. There’s a sequence — maybe ten or fifteen minutes long — where basically as far as I can tell the filmmakers decided to burn down a Siberian forest with the actors and camera crew stuck inside.

Highly recommended.

• Like 3