FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

5 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

I can see that. But you know last summer had Compton, Trainwreck, and Pitch Perfect 2. Earlier, there were movies like Neighbors, Godzilla, 22 Jump Street, World War Z, The Croods, and Life of Pi. Some of that might be quality. But, it's scary to think that a lot of moviegoers only think about going for big event movies. If there are like 7 or 8 of those in a year, sporadic success, and a lot of struggles and bombs, that is a really bad place for the industry. Especially when solid hits, say 100M to 300M are unable to thrive. It is bad because a lot of good stuff comes in that territory. Also, that might limit big movies in the long haul. Batman Begins, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger are all in this range. If it is getting hit hard, it can limit the mega-monsters of the future. How does the industry revitalize movies that are profitable and strong but not mega-monsters and engage moviegoers to come out for some of those too?

Well it's partly the industry's fault for letting it get like this.

Makes me wonder what Incredibles 2 could do opening weekend. I doubt it could match Dory, but I think (in say today's dollars) a 120-130M opening could happen. And I wouldn't predict higher than 125M for Frozen 2.

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone expecting from The Shallows and Free State of Jones next weekend? The latter is getting a big ad push but I feel it's not connecting. Curious as to what the reviews will be like.

$17-19M for Free State of Jones and $20-23M for The Shallows. I think they'll both have decent runs at the box office because they're "different." The former will bring out the history buffs and the latter will have all the female millennials rushing to see Serena Van Der Woodsen and the shark fans, like myself. 

Edited by Nova

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

If Disney released Frozen 2 Thanksgiving week, it won't beat Dory's OW record, there will just be too much demand burned off Tuesday night, Wednesday, and Thursday. if it releases on a traditional weekend, it has a great chance.

Mmm possible 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Makes me wonder what Incredibles 2 could do opening weekend. I doubt it could match Dory, but I think (in say today's dollars) a 120-130M opening could happen. And I wouldn't predict higher than 125M for Frozen 2.

I think about 115M got The Incredibles 2 as of right now

• Like 1

Frozen 2 is going to be the film that breaks this. It's been like two years and I still deal with the Elsa and Anna crap. Everywhere I go I see Frozen. It's a global brand and if there is any animated film that will beat Dory, it's it. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't know why you think that. No reason for the Incredibles 2 to not match Finding Dory, especially if ticket prices increase.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Frozen 2 is going to be the film that breaks this. It's been like two years and I still deal with the Elsa and Anna crap. Everywhere I go I see Frozen. It's a global brand and if there is any animated film that will beat Dory, it's it. 

Yes, Here in Italy Frozen is everywhere

Edited by fabiopazzo2