FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

7 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think Minions is definitely within reach, even frozen (but that's probably more of a stretch). I hope it does too, I seriously hated Minions.

It should blow past both movies with ease barring really lousy legs 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Warcraft makes the U.S. and China seem more divisive than the two country's governments do. :lol:

An analogy can be made. RT in America functions as an electoral college that voted down Warcraft. Meanwhile, in China, the populace has spoken: WC is the people's champ.

1 minute ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Ah, that one will be explained as **video-game**! Oddly, accompanying the talking-animal films will be the low-budget rated R comedies and horror films (80s flashbacks) with the advent of the Kidd-friendly PG-PG13 horror movies. 

Zoo, Dory, TJB, Pets, Ice Age 5, KFP3 Sing .... What else am I forgetting ?:P

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It should blow past both movies with ease barring really lousy legs 

Yea, certainly domestically, we were wondering about worldwide, which is more uncertain at this point.

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

An analogy can be made. RT in America functions as an electoral college that voted down Warcraft. Meanwhile, in China, the populace has spoken: WC is the people's champ.

It's not the People's champ in the USA, I'll tell you that much.

• Like 1

So the question is will Warcraft even post any profit for Uni? They only get a fraction of the Chinese gross right? I'm hoping they lose on it so studios will maybe be more cautious once and for all about making shitty video game adaptations. I honestly believe the genre could become the next CBM of cinema if studios would just pick the right ones and handle them with the care and thought that most CBMs are today. There are some amazing video games out there these days that can lend themselves brilliantly to film. And no Warcraft wasn't one of them anymore than Doom or Need For Speed were. 

13 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

The people voted in the US as well by not buying tickets.  :P

It appears that there are simply  more die hard fanboys of Warcraft in China.  The second w/e drop in China looks like it's going to be around 65% and that's coming off a w/e where last Sunday acted more like a Monday.  It's also been very front loaded in other markets like the UK and SK.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So the question is will Warcraft even post any profit for Uni? They only get a fraction of the Chinese gross right? I'm hoping they lose on it so studios will maybe be more cautious once and for all about making shitty video game adaptations. I honestly believe the genre could become the next CBM of cinema if studios would just pick the right ones and handle them with the care and thought that most CBMs are today. There are some amazing video games out there these days that can lend themselves brilliantly to film. And no Warcraft wasn't one of them anymore than Doom or Need For Speed were. 

Assassin's Creed should be interesting.

I'm more interested in the development of the fantasy genre. LotR and Hobbit did well. GoT is very popular atm. I'm interested in seeing if WoT and D&D are able to help the genre progress.

Edited by UrosepsisFace

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I've obviously been wrong before (and will be again), but I don't think there's any way way DORY increases today. 

It should increase from the real Friday but it will decrease from the 55M number.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Finding dory definitely increases today. A family weekend movie.

Btw, I'm seeing it tonight! Should I upgrade my tickets to 3D or just regular 2D?

Well, I can tell you that this is one of the few films that the 3D isn't completely pointless but it's not a major detriment to see it in 2D.

However 3D gives Dory more money so I have to say 3D.

31 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Inside Out 2? Are you fucking kidding me?

That it'll happen or if it could beat Dory?

I don't think it's happening any time soon if ever, but whether or not it could beat Dory um... like I said the earliest I could see it is late next decade so who knows what inflation might do. Depends on how big FD's OW truly gets.

10 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Assassin's Creed should be interesting.

I'm more interested in the development of the fantasy genre. LotR and Hobbit did well. GoT is very popular atm. I'm interested in seeing if WoT and D&D are able to help the genre progress.

Both are still too niche and video gamey to do well, imo. Elder Scrolls would be the best bet as far as fantasy video game adaptations. It is much more in line with LotR or GoT in its ability to be mainstream and break out of the nerd stigma.