baumer

Monday Numbers (Dory)...20M or just under RTH

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, sure. We might never again see a year that has 1.5 billion tickets sold.

It's a different era we are in. However we have had 8/50 films adjusted coming from this century & 3/30 films coming from the last five years. Given mainstream movies have been around for almost 100 years now & the methods of release/consumption have changed so often especially during this century, Shrek 2 deserves its special place. It's run was truly historic, that first Saturday which was its fourth day of release adjusts to $61.9m. Jaw dropping. In fact Shrek 2 OW which was days 3-5 adjusts to $150m lol.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Was any of you around a BO forum of this kind when Shrek 2 was doing its run? How was it like to experience that?

Sure, I think most of the older vets here were on Mojo back then. The release date got moved up two days at the last minute, so people were flipping out over its epic bombage for the first two days. (Yes, we all were just as absurdly reactive back then). Then it had a monster 3-day opening and turned into a juggernaut. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's a different era we are in. However we have had 8/50 films adjusted coming from this century & 3/30 films coming from the last five years. Given mainstream movies have been around for almost 100 years now & the methods of release/consumption have changed so often especially during this century, Shrek 2 deserves its special place. It's run was truly historic, that first Saturday which was its fourth day of release adjusts to $61.9m. Jaw dropping. In fact Shrek 2 OW which was days 3-5 adjusts to $150m lol.

Gotta give Shrek 2 props for its Memorial Day total. Sensational.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, I think most of the older vets here were on Mojo back then. The release date got moved up two days at the last minute, so people were flipping out over its epic bombage for the first two days. (Yes, we all were just as absurdly reactive back then). Then it had a monster 3-day opening and turned into a juggernaut. 

What about when HP1 took the OW record from SW and became the 2nd highest grossing WW movie after Titanic? :P Gosh, I wish I was there those days, but I got into the Potter fever pretty late (I think when OotP opened in cinemas).

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Can't wait to see Hollywood ideas about virtual reality, that could be a new era for this industry.

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Gotta give Shrek 2 props for its Memorial Day total. Sensational.

Agreed, $32m adjusted for day 13! holiday or not is insane. In fact that was the last day in a streak of 13 over $11m in a row lol. Would go on to (again adjusted) do 61 days in a row over $1m.

Edited by GiantCALBears

5 minutes ago, James said:

What about when HP1 took the OW record from SW and became the 2nd highest grossing WW movie after Titanic? :P Gosh, I wish I was there those days, but I got into the Potter fever pretty late (I think when OotP opened in cinemas).

I wasn't very active on Mojo then (hadn't even created an account at that point), but I don't remember it being a super-exciting event. A lot of people expected it to have a huge opening, so when it did, it wasn't mind-blowing. A lot of people (myself included) didn't follow international grosses nearly as carefully as nowadays either. 

Plus, in many respects FOTR stole

its thunder a month later. :P 

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I wasn't very active on Mojo then (hadn't even created an account at that point), but I don't remember it being a super-exciting event. A lot of people expected it to have a huge opening, so when it did, it wasn't mind-blowing. A lot of people (myself included) didn't follow international grosses nearly as carefully as nowadays either. 

Plus, in many respects FOTR stole

its thunder a month later. :P 

You really want to take the joy out of everything, don't you<_<

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Dory needs a 3.27x multiplier to beat Shrek 2. I think that's a reasonable number, as it doesn't need to come close to TS3's 3.77x.

Right now I'd go with around $450-460m.

I forgot Shrek 2 was that low :lol: It's going down then