WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

8 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Pharrell Williams has been strongly attached to the first two Despicable Me movies.  A song like "Happy" which got massive airplay and helped promote the movie.  I think having Williams linked to the movie, and if he can churn out another solid hit, will bring in the teens and 20 something hipsters to Despicable Me 3. 

Happy only started getting airplay in Winter/Spring 2014 while DM2 came out in Summer 2013. That's half a year gap there.

Edited by Captain H
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I kind of agree there. At least on the quality front it seems like DWA will become far more "kidified" if Meledandri's work in Illumination is anything to go by. They do tread dangerous waters there by only appealing to a family demo. It can be fine if it looks really appealing to kids like a Minions or Pets, but eventually they will find it harder for their movies to be big hits. 

I don't really think something being really appealing to kids is enough for a kids movie to be a big hit. I mean, the parents have final say on whether to go to the theater or wait for the DVD, right? If a movie looks too kiddie or too noisy for them, they would probably just say, "No, we're seeing Pixar instead. We'll wait until that other movie comes to Redbox/Netflix." At least that's how my family did things.

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Yeah, really odd lack of Purge marketing.

Maybe Universal completely shifted their attention to Pets and Jason Bourne and left The Purge as an afterthought. After all, the movies cost nothing to make.

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Speaking of Happy I had a teacher who went nuts when it lost the Oscar to Let it Go and said that that event exemplified everything wrong with America

Well your teacher sounds like they exemplify everything wrong with the American education system...

3 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

While everyone's bringing up the purge just wanna say I briefly met Frank Grillo last week at a festival I was at and dude is JACKED.  at 27 i will never look 1/16 as ripped as he does at 51.

This guy is 61

87ce2a52b566614d4c9854b824b21e0e.jpg?ito

I don't think the large majority of us will look anywhere near that good at that age (or in Tele's case, about 5000 years ago lowballing it)

• Like 8

7 hours ago, narniadis said:

Also Deadline is saying only 60m for Dorys weekend - what are they smoking??

Would not surprise me. First, ID is going to be a lot bigger than many around here thought and that will suck up some tickets that otherwise would have gone to Dory.

Second, Dory really isn't all that good. It's not much better than Monster's University, which was pale compared to Monsters Inc. 

Dory really doesn't deserve its massive box office, if Nemo didn't exist it probably does $150m DOM total. As word gets out that it's not that good, its legs will suffer.

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Speaking of Happy I had a teacher who went nuts when it lost the Oscar to Let it Go and said that that event exemplified everything wrong with America

They couldn't hold back any more? You should have told them to turn away and slam the door.

5 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

While everyone's bringing up the purge just wanna say I briefly met Frank Grillo last week at a festival I was at and dude is JACKED.  at 27 i will never look 1/16 as ripped as he does at 51.

Frank Grillo is 51?!  Geez, I assumed he was in his 30's this whole time.

• Like 2

Before summer started I actually thought the whole "election year" thing + solid wom on the second movie will allow The Purge 3 to go way up to something like a 40-45 OW and a 100 total. I even flirted with the idea of putting it in my summer game top 15. Weird they aren't doing anything with it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Would not surprise me. First, ID is going to be a lot bigger than many around here thought and that will suck up some tickets that otherwise would have gone to Dory.

Second, Dory really isn't all that good. It's not much better than Monster's University, which was pale compared to Monsters Inc. 

Dory really doesn't deserve its massive box office, if Nemo didn't exist it probably does $150m DOM total. As word gets out that it's not that good, its legs will suffer.

As word gets out? It's been out for a week

now and it's daily drops have been next to nothing over the course of the week. If anything that shows just how great of WOM it's getting. Meanwhile ID:R's WOM is terrible at the moment. I take it you must work for Deadline with your projections. 

• Like 5

i'm getting ready to move back to nashville this week and i was packing some stuff this afternoon and for some reason thought of the night nikki posted 'not a record' on deadline and burst into hysterics.  thank god just my dog was here.

• Like 4