WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

1 minute ago, Ocho said:

And their animation is very subpar....

I don't think the animation is too bad but you can tell they don't put as much detail compared to Disney and Pixar and some of the models of the humans seem to be recycled from previous films. 

Secret Life of Pets is gonna be huge.  Every time I see a trailer at my theater, there's huge laughs from both the kids and adults.  And when I was at the beach, I heard 2 full grown men with tattoos and shit talking about how great it looks.

• Like 7

Pets is going to be huge.

Fuck the blue Fish

Happy the Shallows did well.

How is this anywhere close to a good opening for IDR?

55 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I disagree. I don't think there's anything wrong with the animation per se. Illumination just doesn't make the best movies overall.

I like Despicable Me 1 and lukewarm on the #2, but The Minions was just terrible. Unfortunately, kids will go see any movie with those insufferable yellow lemmings no matter what quality the movie they're in. 

As long as Illumination keeps turning a profit they're not going to change their business strategy.  Their movies really make you appreciate DreamWorks' sense of humor. 

And from its latest trailer Sing looks like a half baked effort to put "heart" into their movies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think the animation is too bad but you can tell they don't put as much detail compared to Disney and Pixar and some of the models of the humans seem to be recycled from previous films. 

Max's owner is the Onceler.

• Like 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

As long as Illumination keeps turning a profit they're not going to change their business strategy.  Their movies really make you appreciate DreamWorks' sense of humor. 

And from its latest trailer Sing looks like a half baked effort to put "heart" into their movies.

I think Sing looks like one of Illumination's better ideas but I get the feeling it's going to struggle juggling multiple characters and storylines. The animation doesn't look great compared to previous films which makes me wonder if the budget was spent on song rights and the very starry cast.

Talking about recycled models is opening a can of worms. Disney recycled their animation all the time in the old days and it's probably a reason they're able to keep their budgets low. 

The big problem with them is their characters are just thinly written and forgettable. Their most popular creations are one dimensional comic relief, not truly interesting characters like Buzz or Nemo or Elsa

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Talking about recycled models is opening a can of worms. Disney recycled their animation all the time in the old days and it's probably a reason they're able to keep their budgets low. 

The big problem with them is their characters are just thinly written and forgettable. Their most popular creations are just one dimensional comic relief, not truly interesting characters like Buzz or Nemo or Elsa

Gru was interesting in the first Despicable Me, in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The big problem with them is their characters are just thinly written and forgettable. Their most popular creations are one dimensional comic relief, not truly interesting characters like Buzz or Nemo or Elsa

Eh, I think Gru's decently written. He has a predictable arc, but he at least seems to have some decent depth in his backstory and his love for his daughters that I think makes him more endearing and entertaining. Of course, he's still nowhere near as strong as the characters you listed.

6 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

CGI animation films are dominating. Using their built in advantage with kids/families to full effect. Does not mean they are any good though. Finding Dory is absolutely terrible, on par with Up as one of the worst films of all-time. 

You have no heart. :pounce:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

No, won't you be Blankie Ck again?

Next in my line up is probably some Star Trek related tbh and then back to Blanksics until Rogue One

Also, good on Dory, did better than I expected!